Talk

Advanced search

Are Style bloggers wealthy as a result of their blogs or do only wealthy women actually blog in the first place?

(309 Posts)
ClearlyUnlikeable Wed 10-May-17 12:29:01

Just wondering really as every single style blog I come across is written by someone who appears to have pots of cash and thinks an item reduced to £200 from £300 is a 'bargain'?

I seriously can't get over the amount most of them seem to spend on clothes!

TitaniasCloset Wed 10-May-17 12:33:32

Ooh good post. I'm sitting back to hear the answers about this.

Its the same with beauty bloggers, how on earth do they afford the creams and serums and professional brush sets. Plus the camera lighting laptop good enough to edit on, etc.

Ktown Wed 10-May-17 12:37:18

I think they are likely independently wealthy and doing something part time initially.
The good ones are intelligent but it is a crowded market now.
I think you probably need to be extremely good at writing and photography to keep it up long term.

NotHotDogMum Wed 10-May-17 13:09:50

Agree, beauty and fashion bloggers (in addition to writing well, taking great photos) all seem to spend an awful lot of money on clothes!

I'd love to find one who is well dressed, witty and creative on MY budget....but I think they're all out running a household & earning a living and perhaps don't have the time!

likeababyelephant Wed 10-May-17 13:20:12

If they're popular, companies send them freebies to review. They then go on to sell those freebies. Also as revenue, and a pt job on the side.

NomDePlumeReloaded Wed 10-May-17 13:23:36

A lot of these people get discounts, preloaded store cards and PR freebies to 'review' for their blogs/videos. Also, I think a lot of the fashion bloggers order, photograph, blog and then return most of their purchases. I doubt very much that they actually buy much.

redjoker Wed 10-May-17 13:25:14

I had a girl on my course at uni, she was pretty well off from what I can understand but not a millionaire, she started blogging whilst on our course and now is a big deal fashion blogger raking in lots (well thats the story she puts across) Think it varies. I used to work in a job where I sent bloggers money for blog posts with a link to our company in.

It was big bucks with some having up to 30 websites under different names... a blog post a day... 3 paid links in each post- Needless to say lots of them left full time employment and blogged for living. its a deep dark world!

olderthanyouthink Wed 10-May-17 13:44:52

Some of them have partners with a lot of money.

Some have built up to it

I work for a media agency and they hired a pair of YouTubers (not lifestyle ones) for £30k each.

mrsmildred Wed 10-May-17 13:50:47

Bloggers or instagrammers who literally only post entire outfits of their own bought and paid for clothes are few and far between, although there are a couple I can think of.

Pretty much all the bloggers whose names get bandied around on MN wear clothes they are paid to; in the various ways NomDePlumeReloaded mentioned upthread. It's an incredibly cheap way for a brand to get their product in the public eye, far cheaper than mainstream adverts or magazine editorials, and they'll most likely be no retainer or contract involved for an ongoing commitment.

Basically if you seen any blogger singing the praises of Hush, MeandEm, Sevenbootlane, Air and Grace, Saywhatuc, Chambers and beau jewellery, they are walking adverts. I've also noticed lately that M&S and Debenhams and House of Fraser have got in on the act, there are bloggers out there who would have never previously be seen dead in anything from there but all of a sudden....

hippadoppaloppagorillapig Wed 10-May-17 13:59:27

Most of the fashion & beauty bloggers now get gifted things to feature on the blog. I would imagine they rarely spend their own money.

Theworst Wed 10-May-17 14:00:06

I knew a fashion blogger from another forum before she started blogging and she was married to a city lawyer. I see her blog mentioned on here a lot and I assume she is making money from it now. The feel of the blog has changed since she started it and it is now just her trying on loads of clothes. It is a shame because she can write.

ClearlyUnlikeable Wed 10-May-17 14:06:00

TheWorst, the one whose blog name is about her rear looking a certain age, per chance?

silkpyjamasallday Wed 10-May-17 14:14:39

As PP have said, they all get sent freebies and sponsorship for mentioning certain brands and most successful bloggers rely on this to keep the blog updated and to keep their readers buying stuff that they get commission on for posting about.

I got into fashion blogs aged about 11 or 12 and have watched some of my favourite bloggers change beyond recognition as they gained popularity, going from a few hundred followers to hundreds of thousands. At first they were wearing high street and vintage that was accessible and individual, now they are all identical in expensive looks head to toe and with ludicrously expensive handbags that every other blogger at the same level has, obviously gifted as otherwise why would these 'trend setters' want something everyone else seemingly has. It's boring and I no longer enjoy reading their blogs as I get nothing from it now, I'm not going to pay £300 for jeans that you recommend because you got them for free. If I see another Gucci Dionysus bag, JE Anderson nose ring bag or double g belt or Chanel espadrilles I might vomit. It's disingenuous, one claimed she would never buy an 'it bag' and now has a different one slung over her arm every post, alternating with overpriced basket bags to make it more 'real'.

It changes the blog totally from what people liked about them in the first place, one blogger I liked now goes on holiday several times a month so her old posts on London street style that would be wearable for most have all but disappeared in favour of posts documenting her extensive 5* holidays and the bikinis she has spent the best part of £1k on (or more likely been given for free and not disclosing this fact) Its not relatable and not even aspirational anymore as only a blogger or a trustafarian could live that lifestyle and it seems so shallow and pleasure driven. Don't get me started on the ones with eco credentials who are flying all over the world on a regular basis...

A lot of the mummy bloggers obviously have wealthy husbands that fund their shopping and it is all they do, constant story updates on Instagram in changing rooms and opening boxes that have been delivered. Again very boring. They tend to make sponsored posts more obvious though, I know they are obliged to say now if a post is sponsored by a brand but I think there are ways of getting around it if the item being promoted was 'gifted' rather than the blogger being paid a lump sum for a post.

It's a huge money maker for the bloggers but it's such a shame that they go from genuinely recommending products they have bought and tried themselves to hawking whatever brand will pay them well to do it.

sowhatusernameisnttaken Wed 10-May-17 14:23:03

I was about to mention some names of blogs but not sure if we can?

CrispyBathTowel Wed 10-May-17 14:28:38

Can't remember which blog it was, but the blogger did recently state that she (and a lot of other bloggers) order clothes online for outfit photos, keep the tags on, take a photo outside and the return the clothes to makes it look like an OOD post when it's really not. She said that she doesn't have the budget or wardrobe space to do outfit of the day posts otherwise and the blog would be boring.

The one whose bum refers to her age just posts a lot of links and photos of her in changing rooms trying stuff on. M&S must pay her as she's never out of their changing rooms. Her OOD photos don't vary that much and the items are more expensive - certainly her shoes and handbags anyway.

CrispyBathTowel Wed 10-May-17 14:29:10

Susie SoSo seems to keep it real.

NomDePlumeReloaded Wed 10-May-17 14:30:33

I don't minds that people get stuff for free or have contracts with fashion/beauty retailers, we all have to make a living. However, I do think it should be clearer to readers that items are not all being purchased from the bloggers own funds and indeed, some aren't even being purchased at all, just being loaned/tried on for review/blog content purposes. For example, if DMBL40 does a post on white shirts and tries on 5 shirts, chances are, she won't end up buying any of them. It is just for review purposes, a bit like when a wine columnist does an article on their favourite 5 Chardonnays.

I know the advertising standards people have been hotter on bloggers and you tube people recent years but I do think it could go further with clarifying exactly what is what for the benefit of the audience/readers who may not always appreciate the nature of the beast.

mrsmildred Wed 10-May-17 14:35:07

silkpyjamasallday so right about all the identikit bloggers wearing -advertising- the same clothes and bags when once their blogs had originality and personality. It's always interesting to look back in the blog archives to the older posts to prove this. Some of them chuck so many gifted items into one outfit, the end result is completely laughable and unwearable for a real life scenario....every time I see those god awful gucci fur mules, the emperors new clothes springs to mind. Alessandro Michele certainly has a sense of humour!

Insta-stories seems to have moved the unboxing craze from youtube to a wider audience. There's one blogger who does this in her "office", she is completely surrounded by packaging from her daily deliveries and the amount of "stuff" she receives is truly nauseating, and wasteful.

Maudlinmaud Wed 10-May-17 14:35:39

Oohh I'm intrigued to know who some of these bloggers are, especially the bum one. I sometimes watch bloggers videos and have a few favourites. Are we not allowed to mention names?
The ones I watch do admit to companies sending them products to try and they have to disclose sponsorship.

CrispyBathTowel Wed 10-May-17 14:36:28

I've only seen one blog where the small print at the bottom states that 'XXX may receive commission from items purchased via links'.

There's no 'may' about it she 'will' but at least she's honest. Haven't seen this on any other blogs but presumably they all receive commission if you purchase something that they've linked on their blog. Have no problems with that but would be good if more bloggers were open about that.

Maudlinmaud Wed 10-May-17 14:41:35

One massive journalist and blogger(?) Did make a video explaining the use of affiliate links a year or more ago, I think there was a bit of a whoha going on and she wanted to clear it up. You all know who I mean.

Theycalledmethewildrose Wed 10-May-17 14:50:58

Interesting thread. I 'sort of' know one blogger. Her husband is wealthy and she likes shopping. Initially I followed her because I sort of know her and she does indeed get sent all sorts of things for free. When she comes back from holidays, the amount of boxes she has to open and exclaim 'how cute' and 'how amazing' is wasteful and nauseating. She later sells her wardrobe so makes more money that way.

I don't follow her anymore because I got quite bored of it.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 10-May-17 14:53:36

A lot of YouTube vloggers buy the clothes, do their haul video and take the stuff back afterwards.

CrispyBathTowel Wed 10-May-17 15:07:59

maud

Have sent you a pm with link to bum blog

Maudlinmaud Wed 10-May-17 15:14:15

Thanks crispy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now