Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about House of Colour...

(9 Posts)
DevonLulu Tue 09-May-17 23:14:11

Just that really. I see it on here so much...

Never heard of it, googled and not sure how beneficial it could be. Could someone enlighten me please?

Many thanks

stumblymonkeyreturns Wed 10-May-17 07:01:32

I'm bumping this with my lack of knowledge as I'd also like to know.

I don't know much about it but I believe they look at your skin tone, eye colour, hair colour and suggest a palette of colours that are the most complementary for you.

For example should you stick to jewel tones or pastels? Should you wear navy more than black? Should you stick to autumn tones rather than brights?

No idea how good it is or how much it costs though!

GinsnRoses Wed 10-May-17 07:28:00

I've had both the colour and style days - colour was a freebie though. I found both useful - to a point.

It was interesting to see what colours suited me but in reality I'm unlikely to wear eg salmon pink just because it's in 'my' palette. So I tend to stick to my usual black, grey etc like most people.

Likewise with the style day, I found it fascinating to discover I'm a Natural Gamine - explains why I dress like a teenage boy and hate 'grown up' clothes grin. But so much of the advice was aimed at a very specific type of woman - someone who works in an office, attends 'events' etc - which is not at all my lifestyle and I have no desire to dress like an air hostess.

Agoddessonamountaintop Wed 10-May-17 07:58:23

I did the colour analysis years ago, think it was about £150. Style day was probably more useful, as it helped me make slight changes that make me look more like 'me', without necessarily going all out for a whole look.
Like Gin, I'm not someone who needs to dress for work or goes to a lot of events. But knowing that I'm a classic ingénue (for what it's worth) has made shopping more focused - but be warned: you do end up having many empty-handed shopping trips because there's nothing in the shops in 'your' style or colour!
One more thing: tge consultants tend to be not people you'd automatically look to for style advice iyswim, but they do know their stuff, and you can apply it in your own way.

BrassicaBabe Wed 10-May-17 13:38:14

I had my "colours done" a few year ago. Bloody love it. I'm autumn. Everything slots into place. I can now see that black totally washes me out. Khaki is my equivalent and looks heaps better. Shopping is soooo much quicker. I can scan a shop and only move in for a closer look if an item is on my colour palette.

I have also found that just about all of my clothes "go together" which means my wardrobe is much more versatile.

If you've got a natural ability to know what suits you then you probably wouldn't benefit. But I have found it incredibley useful.

DevonLulu Wed 10-May-17 21:18:43

Hmmm. Thanks all. Interesting. I'm intrigued!

jewelwinter Wed 10-May-17 22:29:57

I knew my colour palette and just bought some makeup off their site for jewel winters. It was a bit pricey but now I know the colours I know what to look for

user1955 Thu 11-May-17 20:40:24

What makeup did you buy jewelwinter ? I'm a pale skinned jewel winter and bought two lipsticks on the day, but want to get some other bits.

Blumkin Thu 11-May-17 20:49:33

I went to a house of colour one (bought as a gift for me). They spent ages draping me in various coloured scarves to find out which colours suit me. About half way through it suddenly 'clicked' for me and I could suddenly see how some colours would make me look pale and washed out, some would make my eyes more luminous, others made my face appear more red and blotchy and a few were a perfect match.

It has made shopping for clothes so much easier as I can now go into a shop and ignore 80% of the stuff on the rails - I know to go for olives, browns, teal, etc and avoid black, orange, red, pink, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now