Talk

Advanced search

Pale foundation for massive pores and greasy skin?

(15 Posts)
Polkadot1974 Tue 09-May-17 19:57:17

I know there are lots of threads on pale shadeds thank you but my slant on it is this. I used to have nice porcelain skin (I have red hair) and it was smooth and lovely. It's now big pored and well wrinkly round the eyes and lacking any luminosity. Used some acid peel pads for a week but didn't see a difference. If anything my nose is worse now for open pores. I have an ok primer by too faced. But foundation? Used Clinique super balanced but just feel like I'm smearing it around or that it settles in the cracks.
Tried Mac studio fix but just a sample so am not sure as I only had a bit. What other ones are there for better coverage. Or do I need polyfilla? I'm ageing so fast and it's making me very sad.

redannie118 Tue 09-May-17 20:12:59

Hi polkadot judging by your username I'm 2 years older than you and I'm a fellow ginger with pale skin too. My skin went the same way as yours a couple of years ago. I tried peels and scrubs and they made it worse the only thing that seemed to really help was the liz Earle hot face wash. It really closed up my pores and helped with the grease. As for the foundation I use max factor panstick and it's brilliant coverage. I only use it on my t zone where I need it then just a light sheer foundation on my cheeks. The body shop does some lovely skin highlights cream that you can dab on to replace that lovely dewy glow we lost sad. I've looked all over for a single product that does all this but sadly don't think it exists! Good luck !

Jmangel Tue 09-May-17 20:47:37

What I'm finding that helps is to firstly put a layer of a pore filling smashbox primer but only a little as it can cake, then a layer of mattifying loose powder, currently using MAC prep and prime powder which is oil absorbing but also smoothing and is white so doesn't add depth of colour. Then a thin layer of Laura Mercier oil free moisturiser - don't be fooled by the name, it's as good as more heavy duty foundations. Then another layer of powder and for this final layer use a narrow stippling brush to work the powder into the pores to conceal them Check out Wayne Goss videos for demos of this technique - works really well.

Polkadot1974 Tue 09-May-17 21:30:41

Thank you thank you. I'm so grateful I could cry. I've got liz Earle but not used in ages. Don't really know why! Will try that again. Doesn't help that someone posted old sixth form photos and my skin looked amazing. Luminous and like porcelain! We'll ignore the black cherries lipstick that was a bit Morticia! And my lovely deep red hair now more blonde
What shade pan stick please? Ditto the Laura Mercier please.

redannie118 Tue 09-May-17 21:58:22

Not sure the number just the lightest shade they do. I dye my hair now to brighten it up, I find that really helps to warm my skin tone

Polkadot1974 Tue 09-May-17 21:59:10

Ooh what dye please? I feel a brighter feature ahead...

Beautifullymixed Tue 09-May-17 22:00:56

Also two years older than you OP, and I share your pain.
I'm not pale skinned, but suffer from red cheeks (rosacea) , large pores and the dreaded shine.

I love a good primer. They seem to blur, smooth out skin and provide a good base. Unfortunately, I find pore filling ones leave my skin far too oily for my liking.

I do like innisfree no sebum primer, rimmel fix and protect primer (but only a tiny bit of this, as it's moisturizing), and my favourite, the smashbox dupe from w7. It's called prime magic camera ready, and leaves the skin velvety smooth, with no tackiness. Pores appear smaller, and it helps with the oiliness. Foundation goes on beautifully, and it's £3.99 from Amazon. smile

Another good way to minimise your pores is with powder. After your foundation/concealer, take a damp sponge and press a loose translucent powder into your t zone. Really press it in. You can then 'bake', meaning to let the powder sit for a few minutes to really set, or sweep off the excess with a brush.
This should hide the pores and help with the oiliness.
I absolutely love innisfree no sebum powder for this, the fresh mint smell is irresistible. No7 translucent powder is good as well, and both would suit your pale skin.

Beautifullymixed Tue 09-May-17 22:04:57

Oh, and OP, give your acid pads longer than a week! I love my nip and fab ones, but get on much better with the glycolic acid ones, rather than the dragons blood salicylic ones. They really do smooth and brighten.

redannie118 Wed 10-May-17 10:32:19

Nice and easy shade 109. 108 is slightly lighter. I've used it for years, there's some awful orange hair dyes around but this is very natural looking. I also find if I colour my eyebrows with benefit brow gel it really really lifts my face and makes me look so much younger. That's shade 1 in the ka-brow range. Very light and natural colour if your brows are pale and sparse

Polkadot1974 Wed 10-May-17 13:13:49

Thank you all so much- I actually applied foundation before primer today- accidentally rather than by choice and then powder, but left it to settle before powdering and it did help a bit- will look at the W7 primer as I like their eyeshadow too and will also get me some hair dye. The future's bright- the future's kind of orange!!

Polkadot1974 Wed 10-May-17 20:42:29

I've been on a custom hair colour website today too looking at best reds - special offer that came up
I will be better looking again. I will!!

trinitybleu Wed 10-May-17 20:56:55

I'm v pale, big pored and red cheeked. The Wayne Goss powder technique has suddenly stopped working :-( just settles in and makes them look even more obvious ... any ideas why?

I use Neutogena daily pore reducing face scrub and then Younique primer / foundation / powder ... it used to work perfectly!

redannie118 Thu 11-May-17 12:19:08

Polkadot you will be amazed the difference your hair colour makes to your skin, when my colour needs retouched and it's faded I look 10 years older !!let us know how you get on smile

Polkadot1974 Tue 16-May-17 21:25:47

I've ordered some custom made colour from Esalon- £7 special offer. Let's see how it goes. Shipped Friday. But not here yet.
My hubby is in the US this week. Any pore minimising stuff there he needs to get me?

IncognitoAvocado Tue 16-May-17 22:07:05

I have similar skin and have recently found two that have impressed me. If you don't need something that holds up all day then the new Clinique Superbalanced Silk is lovely and really hides pores. I am pale and use the second palest shade. It only lasts about 4 hours on my oily skin on a work day though.

For better lasting power I love their beyond perfecting. This really does last all day but I'm the palest shade and it is only just pale enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now