Talk

Advanced search

To chafe or not to chafe, that is the question. (summer dress/skirt related)

(43 Posts)
JessiCake Mon 08-May-17 20:52:47

After 5 bloody years of carrying baby weight and not getting around to shifting it, I've finally lost some weight, toned up a bit and would very much like to be able to roll into the spring/summer wearing nice lightweight, warm-weather stuff rather than covering up in the baggy trousers and unflattering T-shirts I've worn for the last 5 summers.

BUT.

How?

I am now a smallish size 12 but my thighs still chafe together when I wear a skirt or dress. I know this from a recent holiday in warm climes when I wore a skirt. If I wore a skirt/dress all day here in the warm weather and lived my usual life walking around with DD etc, my thighs would be a red raw mess at the end of the day.

I guess I could wear tights but a) I loathe the bloody things and b) my lifestyle is basically SAHM so I don't need to be putting together a fab, chic outfit with tights and heels. I really just want to be able to wear a nice cool skirt on the nursery run when the weather warms up.

Leggings underneath always feels a bit naff to me (though I like the layered look tbf) and anyway my main point is I want to keep COOL which leggings would nullify.

I'm aware we don't generally get much of a summer but I get warm (OK sweaty) when dashing about the place as I do even on a 20+ degree day.

I like shorts but I've seen dire comments about how awful they look on here so I'm a bit nervous now. I've always quite liked a nice long-length city short though, even when I was heavier.

I'd still really like to be able to pop on a nice dress or a skirt this summer though. Literally haven't worn one for yonks and I get dress-envy when I see others in them, all easy-breezy.

Also forked out for leg laser hair removal last summer so I can finally avoid the stubble rash/ingrown hair rash I usually have to contend with.

So what can you very nice experts suggest? Is there some miracle way of avoiding thigh-chafe I'm not privy to...?

carameldecaflatte Mon 08-May-17 20:59:05

Try something like these from M&S. I can't find the exact ones I have but they are very lightweight and don't make me sweat but do stop the dreaded chafing!
www.marksandspencer.com/modal-blend-shaping-thigh-slimmer/p/p60101931?image=SD_02_T33_1561M_AX_X_EC_90&color=ALMOND&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

JessiCake Mon 08-May-17 21:01:09

Ah, caramel, thank you. I KNEW there must be some anti-chafe secret I hadn't been let in on...

You promise they're lightweight and won't make me hot??!

I really appreciate your reply thank you ever so much x

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 08-May-17 21:02:31

I had awful chafe when I was pregnant. Got a tube of magic cream from Boots.

HandbagFan Mon 08-May-17 21:03:15

www.boots.com/lanacane-anti-chafing-gel-30g-10071974

wink

NoParticularPattern Mon 08-May-17 21:08:04

So pleased I found this thread!! I need something for my flipping wedding dress in July. I don't think my thighs will ever not meet, my knees are too close together haha! Thanks!

carameldecaflatte Mon 08-May-17 21:10:59

I'm not sure about those particular ones but I did find some really lightweight ones in M&S last summer to wear under a dress for a wedding on a hot day and they didn't make me sweaty. Maybe best to go in a M&S if you have one nearby and have a feel?! smile

Ollivander84 Mon 08-May-17 21:13:09

These. Mega comfy and light
http://www.thebigtightscompany.co.uk/shop/all-woman-anti-chafing-short-leg-knickers/

BzyB Mon 08-May-17 21:13:17

Sloggi long leg shorts. Nice cool cotton. I've tried all sorts of creams and talcs but they needed reapplied too often.

happymama99 Mon 08-May-17 21:14:32

The big bloomers company, anti chafe knickers. They are a bit pricy but very effective and not too hot. I'm a size 12 but with big thighs!

QueenMortificado Mon 08-May-17 21:15:59

Roll on deodorant on the inside of your legs

Game. Changer.

AprilLady Mon 08-May-17 21:18:05

Anti-chaffing underwear is sometimes labelled as "comfort shorts". If you do a search for "comfort shorts" on Amazon there are a range of options.

fishybits Mon 08-May-17 21:21:48

https://www.thebigbloomerscompany.co.uk/

ihatethecold Mon 08-May-17 21:24:19

Watching with interest.

Gingerbreadmam Mon 08-May-17 21:25:53

lanarcane anti chafe gel is heaven on earth and doubles up as a good make up primer great investment

WhooooAmI24601 Mon 08-May-17 21:26:39

Nipple cream. It works wonders. I'm a 12 and not 'big' especially but have no thigh gap so nipple cream is the future when it's warm.

DrMadelineMaxwell Mon 08-May-17 21:29:50

Evans comfort shorts. Every time.

JessiCake Mon 08-May-17 21:31:30

wow left the thread and came back to bazillions of replies, this is amazing thank you!

Will google all the above suggestions, big bloomers company in particular looks awesome.

Had never thought of deodorant on thighs. That is definitely worth trying... wouldn't admit it in RL but I do get a bit, er, un-fresh in the thigh region after a long day out and about... deodorant might sort that out! blush

Thanks everyone and glad the thread is of interest to others too

Hopeful25 Mon 08-May-17 21:35:55

I buy cheap cotton cycling shorts from peacocks and they do the trick for me.

Also when I was younger a friend recommended putting moisturiser on between thighs dry a little so tacky then talc it. It did work but not for loooong periods or extensive walking xx

OvertiredandConfused Mon 08-May-17 21:36:33

Following a recommendation on here a few weeks ago, I ordered some of these. They came in a few days and actually work - don't make me overheat but do stay in place.

blueskyinmarch Mon 08-May-17 21:46:44

I have been thinking of cutting down a pair of tights to make sort of tights shorts. Do you think that would work?

bingohandjob Mon 08-May-17 21:52:08

www.thebigbloomerscompany.co.uk/anti-chafing-knickers/all-anti-chafing-knickers

FatGirlWithChocolate Tue 09-May-17 07:14:31

Despite my nametag I am no longer quite as fat a girl, with definitely zero chocolate these days..but in my bigger days this was a terrible problem when on holiday..so 2 things were used..a pair of anti chafing nude shorts thingys from Evans (think they were £5) and the Lanacane anti chafing gel. Both worked excellently and saved me from untold pain and misery.

Hulder Tue 09-May-17 07:22:44

Bodyglide. Amazing stuff. No need for shorts etc making you hot. Last all day.

www.bodyglide.com/

PreparingToBeAMummy Tue 09-May-17 07:24:12

Bandalettes are your saviour. Buy them and thank me later - they've revolutionised my life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now