Talk

Advanced search

I look like a kid playing with makeup :(

(86 Posts)
TheLongRains Mon 08-May-17 12:29:14

Help!

I come from a family where makeup really wasn't a thing. My mum and sisters don't use any, and never have. So I never learnt what's what, really.

I, however, need/like a bit of makeup. Not heavy, but enough to make me look fresh in the mornings (broken nights with a baby...).

I currently have a foundation that is probably not the right colour, a powder that I don't really know what to do with, a moisturiser that I use morning and night, an eyeliner pencil and a mascara.

I have no idea what I'm really doing! And should I be using a primer? A setting powder? Concealer? Highlighter? Blusher??? Lip gloss, lip liner...etc etc!!

I'm overwhelmed. I feel like if I apply all this stuff, my face will be an inch thicker than normal.

I went to a makeup counter once and came away looking like a clown. I don't want to look like a clown, I want to look like me, but fresher!

Also, where the heck do I start with choosing brands and colours? There's so much out there! And brushes, sponges, finger tips... What do I use?!

If anyone can help me look like the grown-up that I am, I'd be so grateful smile or even point me in the direction of a good website for beginners who don't want to look made-up, but do want to use makeup...

Thank you!

cherrytree63 Mon 08-May-17 12:31:38

Watching with interest as I feel the same! Also cursed with almost non existent lips and I'd love to wear lippy without looking stupid!

Galla Mon 08-May-17 13:05:24

Also need this.

I think the idea of going to a cosmetics counter is good, but could you be more specific and ask them for a light make up look without looking made up and mention areas you'd like to improve upon?

I am never near a make up counter without a baby in tow so I understand its not the easiest! Maybe aim for nap time and have a sleeping baby with you.

OhWellNeverMindEh Mon 08-May-17 13:17:00

I wear very little makeup, I just don't suit it (we're talking clown/bad drag act).

I do however rate Clinique and benefit for subtle make-up.

Don't do foundation, get a tinted moisturiser, go for brown or dark blue mascara for a more natural look. Blushers should be subtle and so should lips.

Good luck!

Outcomesthebunnyofdeath Mon 08-May-17 16:37:41

I love bare minerals for a natural look. Maybe find one of their shops and ask for some direction? At the moment I'm using complexion rescue gel which I love, then a touch of their face colour over the top, and some mascara. The complexion rescue by itself makes me look fresher but I think make up is horses for courses, what suits one person won't necessarily suit the next!

papersmile Mon 08-May-17 16:52:10

I'm no makeup guru but I have reached the point after many years of going make-up free where I now need a bit of help to look 'well'.

I use Clinique CC foundation - very light coverage.
mascara to stop my eyes looking like little holes in my face
cream blush from M&S - looks more natural than powder blusher
lips - vaseline or a natural shade chubby stick (sheer)

It takes 5 mins and I don't look 'made-up' just less corpse-like. You may have higher hopes than this - but it's a start.

5gen Mon 08-May-17 16:56:35

I was the same! I started watching tutorials on YouTube and my make up game is strong now! Try Tati x

TipBoov Mon 08-May-17 17:00:17

I'm the same as you OP. I wear a no7 tinted moisturiser (city light I think), brown eyeliner, brown mascara and a Barry m lipstick that is very close to my natural lip colour.

Underbeneathsies Mon 08-May-17 17:05:05

Get thee to Lisa Eldridge and learn some makeup techniques. She has a YouTube channel and each video is about 12 minutes so perfect for a cuppa.

She gives spot on (so to speak) advice about choosing the correct foundations, spot and dark circle concealer, and how to determine what kind of make up to wear for any occasion, and no occasion at all. Then she shows you how to apply the makeup on herself and on others as well.

She helps you look like you've had 8hours of restful sleep.

She also advises about skincare products, cleansing and facial massage techniques to reduce undereye bags and puffy face etc.

I thinks she's brilliant, and I've worn make up every day since I've worked. I still get fab tips from her videos.

gincamelbak Mon 08-May-17 17:06:45

I wear the bare minimum I can get away with that makes me look 1. Human and not blue and 2. Fun for me.

I wear:
BB or CC cream. Basically tinted moisturiser, forget what else it purports to be.

Eye lid primer (lemonaid by benefit) because it makes the eye shadow stick and therefore last longer.

Eye shadow - sea shell by boots natural collection. It's neutral and makes my lids clean looking.

Eye liner - purple crayon.

Mascara

Blusher - currently a natural collection one. May change as I'm bored of it.

That's it it took me 4 minutes to put on today.

Face moisturiser I use the boots protect and perfect serum (I think it has reduced lines and wrinkles) then another moisturiser on top - currently one with spf20.

My mum rarely wears makeup nowadays and never did when growing up. My sister never wore makeup. I didn't wear it really until I worked in an office where everyone else did and I got interested.

I like it now. But I only wear it to work and if going out (more eye makeup and lipstick then). It's not every day.

Lj8893 Mon 08-May-17 17:08:36

I wear make up daily. For work I do a very simple, light make up which sounds like what you are after.

I use a primer, then a light foundation lightly blended in with a brush, then concealer blended in under my eyes and on any blemishes. A little pink blusher.
Then I do my eyebrows (you can skip this step but it's a must for me!), a little eyeliner on the outer corners of my eyes and then mascara. And a little Vaseline on my lips.

Ollycat Mon 08-May-17 17:14:09

I am / was exactly the same. I went to Bobbi Brown and they were amazing- got me the right colour foundation/ taught me how to put it on etc. I bought a foundation, powder, blusher, eyebrow pencil, mascara and lipstick- feel amazing for it! Am considering going back to talk about eye shadow and eye liner.

edengarden123 Mon 08-May-17 17:16:17

I think Goss make up on YouTube is brilliant.

Donttakemeout Mon 08-May-17 18:27:15

Watch Lisa Eldridge tutorials.

Unicorn81 Mon 08-May-17 20:39:16

I wear moisturiser and a bit of concealer during the working week. If i have time at the weekend i will put on some foundation, eyeshadow, mascara and lippy.

I bought the Tarte maneater set from qvc which is brilliant, very fair skin so went for the fair sand and is a good natural colour for me. I use a little clinique concealer for under eye, pink or nude shade eyeshadow with some blending as hooded eyes, brown mascara as black is too harsh on me. Nude or light pink shades for lips. No eyeliner as too harsh and do not touch my eyebrows, fair eyebrowns so adding colour would make me look like a clown.

I watched some u tube stuff on hooded eyeshadow but i cant be arsed with all the contouring and blush and highlighting.

Unicorn81 Mon 08-May-17 20:40:42

Also hated using a blender and either fingers or the brush for foundation with tarte is amazing! Oh and after i apply the tarte foundation i chuck on a light dusting off too faced pressed power as really oily skin so helps

hollieberrie Mon 08-May-17 20:47:15

Watch Lisa Eldridge - natural / every day make up:
www.lisaeldridge.com/video/8825/an-everyday-make-up-look/#.WRDLhPnyvIU

I look soooooooo much better with a bit of makeup. I keep it simple as I'm up super early for work and dont want to get up even earlier for a long make up routine. I do:
- tiny bit of foundation just on tzone. I went to Estee Lauder and got them to colour match me. I have been using the same bottle for about 3 yrs as I only use a tiny bit.
- under eye colour corrector and then little bit of concealer to brighten
- dot eye pencil in between lash roots to make them look thicker
- mascara
- quick swish of translucent powder to set everything.
Thats it.

TheLongRains Mon 08-May-17 20:56:42

Ah, you're all fab! Thanks so much for this! Some really useful starting points, and some products I'll go and try out. Yay!

Now off to watch those tutorials. I'm glad to have some recommendations, because when I looked I seemed to end up watching 13yr old girls doing a "natural" look... hmm

Thanks for the tips!

onemorecakeplease Mon 08-May-17 20:58:49

I'm the same as you. Don't know what to do with it but need a little help nearing 40

I use tropics
Start with tinted moisturiser - apply with hands
Under eye concealer called illuma - it has a brush in one end that you use and pat in with finger tips.
Then their blush/highlighter powder mixed together - apply with brush
A tiny bit of benefit mascara - I usually wipe the brush on a tissue first so I don't get lots on just a fine coat.
Occasionally use concealer on a brush if I have a spot.
I use a brown eyebrow pencil with a comb thing on one end and that really makes a difference to look more 'groomed'
And that's it, I look like me but wide awake and fresh faced.
Don't wear lip gloss just lip balm.

I can't do eyes hence no eye makeup for everyday.
Takes 3 /4mins tops.

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 08-May-17 21:07:43

I second Lisa Aldridge. She's so nice and clear about what to do. I wear Clinique B&B, lightest shade, a cream blusher, combed eyebrows and a bit of mascara. Done. Stops me looking corpsetastic and hides a few spots and a scar. I used to wear more eye makeup but I started to become increasingly allergic.

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 08-May-17 21:08:49

Bloody autocorrect. Eldridge.

doozeldog Mon 08-May-17 21:11:41

I learnt to do my make up by watching YouTube Type "natural make up tutorial" literally 100s of vids will pop up xx

Cultofpersonality Mon 08-May-17 21:17:23

I learned recently that he best place to match your foundation is the centre of your chest.
Pop a few shades there, and then go outside into natural light to see what looks best.
Primer is, imho, an absolute must.
Loose powder is better than a pressed powder.
Little highlighter in the inner corner of your eyes will make you look a bit more awake.
I couldn't leave the house without at least concealer, mascara and lipstick!
The Rodial Glamolash XXL is my current fave, but the Scandaleyes Mascara from Rimmel is also really nice

LivLemler Mon 08-May-17 21:45:09

I was (am) the same. One year I asked DH to buy me a make up lesson for my birthday. A local make up artist came to my house with her big crate of stuff and went through a routine with me. She did one side of my face and I did the other, and she noted down everything she used.

It was good not to be tied to one brand, and I definitely learned way more than I would from youtube as it was tailored to me.

The final look was a bit much for me (although I was worried about looking like a clown and it wasn't, just a bit much for my tastes), but it was so worth it.

That was years ago, and I still use the foundation and blusher she recommended for day to day wear.

I don't like wearing eye make up (hate taking it off), but I use some of those products too when I'm going out.

Well, well worth the cost of the lesson.

changingmylifecompletely28489 Wed 10-May-17 16:41:24

Right. So, I do make-up as my second job.

Tips-
📌 wear sunscreen. ALWAYS! Find a good cream & stick with it, that will also act like a base for your make-up.
📌 find a good foundation (or bb cream) that will suit your skin tone PERFECTLY. It needs to be the perfect shade. When matched at beauty counter ask for a mirror and go outside in day light
📌 using a concealer that's a shade lighter will brighten your under eye area & make you look fresh
📌 find a blusher/bronzer that suits your skin tone. Peachy for warm undertones, pinkish for cold undertones
📌 invest in your eyebrows. Make sure they're a natural shape, always spot on. Correct with powder or liner if necessary
📌 find your perfect nude lipstick that matches perfectly your skin tone

Voila! Also, loads of tutorials on YT!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now