Talk

Advanced search

Day time tops

(46 Posts)
fandabbydozier Mon 08-May-17 10:44:21

I'm looking for some recommendations for everyday tops, 3/4 or full length sleeves. Decent quality, not needing a lot (any) of ironing and not too mumsy. I'm a size 12 with a mum tum but don't like anything too baggy. I'm not hugely keen on stripy tops either. What do you all wear everyday? I'm so bored with my wardrobe! I don't do anything too patterned. Definitely no Cath Kidston floweryness. Help me! Oh and I'm 39 so nothing too young and nothing too old/aging!

imjessie Mon 08-May-17 14:00:02

Joules harbour tops wash And wear well with no cling .

fandabbydozier Mon 08-May-17 20:03:14

Thanks for the reply but it looks like most of those tops are stripy Breton types which I'm not keen on. Everyone is wearing them so I want to find something different. No idea what though!

TheOriginalChatelaine Mon 08-May-17 21:12:56

Plain colour & cowl necks are flattering. Nomads did them in a lovely cotton.

MakingMerry Mon 08-May-17 21:33:57

They're not exciting, but as a wardrobe staple I am liking these three quarter length sleeve tops from Boden. Do'n't need ironing, good quality, quite fitted.

Would hunt around for a 25% discount and free postage voucher code before buying, they come up pretty frequently.

vhttp://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-tops-t-shirts/jersey-tops/wo153-dgr/womens-drake-double-layer-front-tee

JessiCake Mon 08-May-17 21:41:13

Uniqlo may be your friend here?

I'm exactly the same situation and almost the same age as you but in my case I quite like stripes. I am trying to branch out of them though! I've seen a few nice non-stripy tops in uniqlo recently so maybe have a look?

I often like Oasis for tops too though they can be too syntheticy for my taste sometimes.

Avoid Gap as they're often very boxy.

Good luck!

MakingBaconPancakes Mon 08-May-17 22:02:06

Whats the budget?

fandabbydozier Tue 09-May-17 09:11:48

No specific budget. I just need some decent staples I can layer with. I might try a boden one and maybe try and get to uniqlo too. Oasis always seems to have lots of flower print stuff or mixed fabrics (I really don't like half cotton half silk for example). Washing well is a must! I'll be wearing them for both work and home.

fandabbydozier Tue 09-May-17 09:13:06

Making merry, those double layer boden tops, do you have a white one? Is it see through? Tempted by white but don't want to be able to see through it.

Bumblebzz Tue 09-May-17 15:59:52

Ive just ordered the Boden one (in white but if it's any good I'd like it in more colours).y
Code N3M9 got me 20% off too and somehow delivery was free.
Will report back, I have the same need for daytime tops for home and work.

Dulcimena Tue 09-May-17 16:57:13

I'm wearing a lot of oversized shirts with skinny jeans at the moment. Layerable and feel a bit more structured than jersey tops. Denim, cotton, etc. Wearing a navy cotton/silk mix one over a white vest today.

MakingMerry Tue 09-May-17 18:52:00

Hello

Yes, I have a white one. No, it's not see-through - it's a thick material though quite stretchy.

fandabbydozier Tue 09-May-17 18:55:27

Dulcimena can you link some examples? I always avoid shirts as I hate ironing so much but perhaps I need a change...

fandabbydozier Tue 09-May-17 18:56:21

Thanks merry I'm going to order a white one, just need to find some discount codes first. Thanks!

Dulcimena Tue 09-May-17 21:59:52

Something like this, this or this but I don't wear heels. They have to be at least 2 sizes bigger than fitted though, I don't like the prim/preppy look personally.

oddthing Tue 09-May-17 22:00:44

def uniqlo

tessiebear4 Tue 09-May-17 22:16:36

Jigsaw, Whistles

TheBogQueen Tue 09-May-17 22:21:37

Primary have some great blouses in at the moment 100% cotton in white or black with small patterns. Worth a shout for £10 a pop.

Suzietwo Tue 09-May-17 22:23:21

Cos do really good basic plain tops.

Bumblebzz Fri 12-May-17 13:10:19

The Boden top arrived in white, it's great and I will get a lot of use out of it, so long as it washes well. I'm going to order more colours.

MakingMerry Fri 12-May-17 13:57:22

Glad you like it Bumblebzz. I've got one in each colour now.

imjessie Fri 12-May-17 14:08:59

I popped into tk maxx today , they have got some lovely things in .. pretty tops , linen blouses .. all sorts! Much nicer than what's in the shops in my opinion . A lot of it is cotton and linen so ideal for hot weather !

fandabbydozier Fri 12-May-17 21:40:50

Thanks all. I'm going to order the boden top in white when I find a discount code. Dis anyone have one?
Not sure about TK maxx, I find it too jumble saley and difficult to find anything worth buying. I do t have the patience!
Still looking for more options.

Where have you found cotton/silk mix tops? That's my favourite combo and I'm really struggling to find any.

I must admit I find tops really difficult.

fandabbydozier Fri 12-May-17 21:59:28

Oasis have loads of mixed fabric tops. Some in warehouse too. Maybe also try phase 8. I've seen loads lately and these are the shops near my work so I know I've seen them there. I just find them a bit odd!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now