Talk

Advanced search

What are your best ever beauty products/tricks that REALLY work?

(26 Posts)
Chocwocdoodah Sun 07-May-17 23:11:59

Love hearing about amazing beauty finds so thought I'd share mine:

Rapidlash eyelash serum - I've used a few of those serums in the past that promise Bambi-like lashes and they've all been utter crap. This is amazing. Takes 4-6 weeks to work but whenever I've used it, I always - without fail - get asked if I've got falsies on. Basically it conditions lashes, stopping them from breaking so they reach their full length. Not cheap but brilliant.

Hair, skin & nails vitamins - I've got pretty clear skin but regularly get those massive, cystic spots on my chin - you know the ones that are a big, shiny, throbbing, red bump with no head that you can't do a thing about? Well, I recently decided I should start taking vitamins - not for my skin - just to be a bit healthier. Chose these as they were on offer. And 3 months in, realised I've had no spots at all. (Ok, have had a small one pop up today but it's not a cystic one). I'm amazed. I've never gone this long with a completely clear complexion. I'm not using any new skin care - the only new thing is the vits.

Iced water - dip your fingertips in for a few mins to dry nail varnish rock hard.

Charcoal peel-off face mask - annoyingly can't remember the brand name but a friend ordered it from Amazon (think it's Chinese). Rub it on, let it dry and peel all the disgusting blackheads out of your pores. Yuk. But amazing. Much better than those Biore face strip things.

Crochita Mon 08-May-17 06:57:56

Vaseline. Apply a tiny amount to nails at bedtime and they will grow long and strong.

Styptic pencil. If you squeeze a spot, you can apply the pencil and the blood/ooze will immediately dry up so you can apply make up and not be left with a cornflake crust later on!

Perfume/fragrances. Never spray directly onto your neck. Most contain alcohol which is drying for the skin and aging.

Gradual tan. You don't have to buy a gradual tanner you can simply add your fake take to your normal body moisfuriser and combine to make your own personalised gradual tan.

Hands. Hands are often a dead giveaway to age if you have looked after your face! Use your anti aging cream or serum on the back of your hands too.

No need to Slough dead skin off your feet. Keep them baby soft by moisturising your feet every day and regularly wearing cotton socks when you sleep after moisturising. I've never had to use a footfile etc as after washing I use my towel to exfoliate and then I always moisturise. Dead skin cells can't build up if your feet are smooth.

Stress. Nothing makes you look worse than the effects of stress. If you're in a unhappy relationship or job, change it and lose the stress! Stress can dramatically age the face.

Smoking. Pursing your lips will result in cats bum wrinkles around your mouth and the aroma of tags never make a person smell nice!

Alcohol. My own personal observation is that women who drink a lot of alcohol are the ones that age earlier.

Age. As you get older find a look that suits you. Following the latest fashion or cosmetic trend can be very aging on an older women! We all have a look that suits us best and you can add small touches of the latest trends to stay modern.

Weight. Faddy diets and gym memberships often fall by the wayside! If you want to lose weight start off with portion control. Most people eat them same things every day and suddenly ditching them to eat different foods or diet shakes takes a lot of willpower and can be disheartening if you fail and give in. Start by cutting down the amount of the foods you eat and you will lose weight. When you feel confident after losing a little weight this way you can then start making small substitutions of healthy food to your diet.

Exercise can be achieved by walking. Start off with a brisk walk for 15/30 minutes and then turn and walk home again. Move your arms. Walk around a park. Move as if you are in a hurry. Wear supportive footwear and a supportive bra. You can improvise gym training at home by lifting cans of food at home. A few repetitions in the kitchen here and there!

Chocwocdoodah Mon 08-May-17 08:16:31

Love these! Didn't know the vaseline one - you just rub it into your nails?

And if started doing that with my feet too - so simple but it makes such a difference.

QuimWilde Mon 08-May-17 10:15:26

Also Soy Serum - It's been a revelation. My skin looks completely amazing, and it's £2.99.

Tinkle eyebrow razors - I recommended them here a few years ago and most people who ended up buying them agreed that you wonder how you managed without them. Great for tidying brows and getting rid of fuzzy bits. Only £1 for three from Amazon and they last forever.

Wilkinson's Essence mascara - best I've ever used and cheap as chips.

Lidl SOS hand cream - similar to Norwegian formula but better and only 79p.

As you can see I'm a thrifty beauty shopper 😁

QuimWilde Mon 08-May-17 10:17:23

Lip balm is an excellent nail strengthener and cuticle conditioner too! I always rub a bit in when I do my lips, which is about 13486 times a day 😁

creamcheeseandlox Mon 08-May-17 10:27:16

Choc I'm using rapid lash and found it brilliant. But do I have to keep using it or will my lashes go back to shortness if I stop? Will I then have to start all over again?

Trills Mon 08-May-17 10:35:02

I've just added a styptic pencil to my Amazon basket - something to deal with the aftermath of a spot is just what I need.

Satsumer Mon 08-May-17 10:41:29

These are amazing. That's so interesting about spraying perfume on your neck, thanks.

I used Avon's overnight blemish cream and it clear my skin right up after a couple of uses. It's about £3. I love it.

I also use a touch of lip balm every night before bed and my lips look great-full and luscious grin

Chocwocdoodah Mon 08-May-17 11:14:20

Creamcheese - yes you have to keep using it, I'm afraid. Think of it like hair conditioner - you can't condition your hair til it's all lovely and soft then just stop using it and expect your hair to stay that way. And just like the hair on your head, lashes fall out and grow again so you have to keep using it on the new ones growing through. Expensive habit I know! But cheaper than regular extensions!

Chocwocdoodah Mon 08-May-17 11:15:50

Wilkinsons mascara? As in Wilko?? I need to know more!

QuimWilde Mon 08-May-17 11:35:38

Yep Choc. They're all fab but I particularly like the one in the fat black tube with the yellow and pink writing (can't remember what it's called but it's very distinctive!). Only £2.30 a tube and it's bloody lovely. The make up range is called Essence and apparently it's a standalone brand on the continent. Their nail care/polishes are brilliant, too.

ProseccoandPizza Mon 08-May-17 12:19:59

Ooh I've just ordered the Tinkle eyebrow razors and Perfectil hair, skin and nail vitamins.

My favourite beauty tip is my MAC Demi eyelash curlers. They only curl outer lashes which gives a very natural open eyed look.

Chocwocdoodah Mon 08-May-17 13:37:30

Am definitely going to try that mascara!

Prosecco - have to say I'm a complete eyelash curler addict (though I've never come across the ones you mention). Reminds me of another tip - bit risky but - I aleads curl my lashes AFTER I've put mascara on. You have to wait for it to dry and you must release the curlers very slowly and carefully in case they've stuck a bit but you get so much better results and the curl holds. Like I say, but risky, but I've only had one mishap in 20 years of doing it (basically released them too quickly and ripped all my top eyelashes out of one eye - the HORROR!)

Jmangel Mon 08-May-17 20:25:50

Ooh which brand of hair skin nails multivits please Choc?

elephantcuddles Tue 09-May-17 07:58:43

Is this the mascara you're referring to, Quim? Essence is not a brand made by Wilko's, just FYI.

Chocwocdoodah Tue 09-May-17 10:26:23

Jmangel - Boots own brand.

dudelooks Tue 09-May-17 12:22:59

Hot cloth cleansing. Doesn't have to be a flashy brand.

Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser - been using it for years and have tried other things along the way, but without fail I end up going back to this. I get complimented on my skin and it's purely down to that.

A good highlighter for cheekbones (Benefit is a favourite)

Real Techniques beauty blender. Gives the most lovely, dewy finish.

Stop drinking alcohol. I'm seven weeks without a drink and I look like a different person. It's shocking, actually.

Truckingalong Tue 09-May-17 12:54:32

Botox.

MsBlazen Tue 09-May-17 13:24:04

Caster oil - use on eyelashes (apply with q-tip, otherwise you won't be able to see through the oil!) before bed. Great for growing eyelashes. I've heard people use this on their eyebrows and head for hair growth too, but I can't vouch for that.

Coconut oil - to take off makeup, gets even waterproof mascara off eyelashes easily

Hyaluronic acid - use before your usual moisturiser to make your face extra moisturised and wrinkle free

Vitamin E - I buy the normal supplements to take by mouth, but split the capsules and put it on my skin instead

no sugar, minimal alcohol, no gluten, minimal dairy - very drastic diet but my skin and hair look amazing (my main reason for the diet was for health issues, so this is just a huge plus)

Chocwocdoodah Fri 12-May-17 11:14:52

Have bought the mascara! Will report back.

KroplaBeskidu Fri 12-May-17 12:42:00

I need a good highlighter so thanks dude

I was using strobing liquid thinking it was basically the same but it just makes my cheeks look purple hmm

MaQueen Fri 12-May-17 14:27:52

Shed that excess weight (yes, yes, I know it's boring) but it really makes a HUGE difference to how you look and feel. It also changes your posture and how you move. I've recently lost 12lbs just by cutting right back on bread, pasta and rice and reducing sugar.

Posture (see above) but also always try and lift your ribcage, suck in your tummy and drop your shoulders...I can make myself look 7lbs lighter just by standing/walking properly.

Get your teeth professionally whitened. Worth every penny.

Wearing a brighter lippy. I have worn neutral nudes/pinks for years - but just recently have swapped for brighter rosy red shades and it really lifts your whole face.

I'm very much Scandi style when it comes to clothes, but I do like to wear slightly quirky shoes, or carry a quirky handbag to stop my outfit looking so understated that it's bland.

Hot cloth cleansing - I use REN Rosa Centrifolia Cream Cleanser, and it leaves my skin really soft, blushing pink and smelling of roses.

Tight lining with your eye liner/eye pencil. Gives a subtle but very definite intensity to your eyes. Love, love, love it.

I have monthly pedicures and cream my feet every, single day (sometimes twice). My feet are always silky smooth.

Chocwocdoodah Fri 12-May-17 21:02:14

MaQueen - I desperately want to wear bright lippy but I'm scared of it. Which beauty counters have the best range/give the best advice?

MaQueen Fri 12-May-17 21:17:25

Well, the rosy red one I'm loving at the moment is by Christian Breton and it's called 'Salmon'.

I think Bobbi Brown are the best at advising on make up smile

Chocwocdoodah Fri 12-May-17 22:13:42

Thanks MaQueen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now