Talk

Advanced search

Best shampoo for strength/stop breakage......please

(17 Posts)
williwonti Fri 05-May-17 14:26:58

Hair has always been fairly robust but above all issues now is fact it breaks. So i am developing loads of flyaway bits at top. Don't know why, can only think it is age but i need to start using some products to combat this . Any suggestions i can go get today? I'm 36, dark thick but frizzy hair. Thank you.

NomDePlumeReloaded Fri 05-May-17 16:27:01

If you can tolerate protein, I would recommend either Redken Extreme (including the leave-on 'anti-snap') or Joico K-Pak ranges. Both v good if your scalp can handle protein. Rotate them with a moisturising shampoo as protein rich repair shampoos can be quite drying.

GingerLDN Fri 05-May-17 17:14:48

Redken Extreme. As Nom said above anti-snap aswell, it's really good.

FauxFox Fri 05-May-17 19:31:45

Kerastase is very good but £££ and I think only available from salons/online.

10Betty10 Fri 05-May-17 21:03:35

Morroccan Oil Moisture Repair shampoo and conditioner is amazing for breakage.

macymacy Fri 05-May-17 21:37:52

I had this problem and started to have Olaplex at the hairdressers. It's made a massive difference, I've had little to. I breakage and it's seems to have grown like buggery!

macymacy Fri 05-May-17 21:38:23

Little to no, I meant to say!

williwonti Sat 06-May-17 14:11:27

I'm not sure re the protein, i'll look into what you mean. I don't mind spending a bit as jeez, on show constantly and looks awful. I'll look and buy later, thanks all.

NomDePlumeReloaded Sat 06-May-17 14:26:51

I can't tolerate protein in haircare- I get an itchy, lumpy scalp and it causes my already fragile hair to snap and split more. That's why I asked. I get on better with more moisturising formulas, regular trims and Olaplex 3.

aniceearlynight Sat 06-May-17 14:30:05

Also recommend Redken Extreme anti-snap leave in stuff - in a blue bottle. Makes my dyed blonde hair look fairly silky and lustrous.

ShoutOutToMyEx Sat 06-May-17 15:02:58

Philip Kingsley Elasticizer, twice a week. Sorted out an awful bleach job I had when my hair was literally snapping in half.

Moroccanoil left in after every wash too.

Also second (or third!) Olaplex at the hairdressers, when you go.

champs Sat 06-May-17 17:39:48

Chi Keratin Shampoo and conditioner is great for a pick me up. Sulfate free and although it has protein, it's quite moisturising.
Do you deep condition at all? How often do you wash your hair?Have you tried leave-in conditioner and hair oils?

williwonti Sun 07-May-17 12:43:49

Naturalky dry hair which i wash every 3 days i'd say. How do i know if can tolerate protein? I don't want to spend and find out i can't. I don't go hairdessers for colour, just cuts. Can i buy the Opalex from net? Not sure where to start. I'm happy ro buy shampoo and conditioner as i imagine lasts a while. Anyone care to tell me where to start?

williwonti Tue 09-May-17 13:03:56

Done my research and am about to buy the Redken products BUT do I need the conditioner AND the anti-snap? It says leave in so I am thinking I probably too or do people think that would be conditioner over-kill? Maybe should start with both until get it into betetr state??

StripeyZazie Tue 09-May-17 13:27:51

Rahua has worked for me. Not cheap but worth it and also lasts ages.

Also try condition-wash-condition. Basically you pop a bit of conditioner on first (not on roots though), then wash, then condition. It protects your hair.

NomDePlumeReloaded Tue 09-May-17 15:40:53

Yes, use conditioner and anti snap. Antisnap isn't a moisture product, like a tradition leave in conditioner,
it is a protein product designed to help restructure hair. You will need to condition alongside anti snap as it can be drying.

I also wouldn't use anti snap every wash, either. Maybe every third/every other and see how you get on with it, sensitivity wise. Your hair might not need it every time.

williwonti Tue 09-May-17 20:54:12

Thanks Nomde that's great, will buy now and start using. I assume i'll know if i can't tolerate protein so will get buying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now