Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Where are the nice dresses (NOT POLYESTER) in sizes over 16?

(32 Posts)
SmurfPants Thu 04-May-17 17:14:10

Because I can't find any!

I usually do Boden (avoiding most of the prints), Joules, Monsoon... but I've exhausted them and I need casual summer clothes.

I recently gave in and ordered some bits from Simply B. OH MY GOD THE SWEATY FABRICS!! shock It's all been sent back in disgust.

So...anywhere else I could try?

Katinkka Thu 04-May-17 17:38:08

Sea salt

SmurfPants Thu 04-May-17 18:10:04

Ooh ok, I've only heard of the sandals...

SmurfPants Thu 04-May-17 18:14:01

Does anyone know what the sizing is like? Comparable to Boden/next etc?

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 04-May-17 18:15:34

Yours Clothing?

Teabagtits Thu 04-May-17 18:16:32

Fat face? I find their sizes quite large so downsized to a 14 in non maternity wear with one of their dresses while sporting a huge bump!

Whywaitfortomorrow Thu 04-May-17 18:19:42

Just placemarking and will be watching with interest.

SmurfPants Thu 04-May-17 18:20:54

So I've just bought three dresses from sea salt, so that was a result!

I hope they fit...

And I'm still looking!

LBOCS2 Thu 04-May-17 18:25:39

Lands End. Some of it is properly old ladyish, but they do some really cross front jersey dresses in about 15 different colours and patterns.

LBOCS2 Thu 04-May-17 18:25:58

*Really good.

MaterEstIratus Thu 04-May-17 18:28:23

White stuff, Sea Salt, Fat Face, Mantaray (in Debenhams).

bingohandjob Thu 04-May-17 20:34:29

Sea Salt, Hobbs, Monki, Joanie, Uniqlo (ridiculously, you probably need to get the XXL size), ASOS and ASOS Curve.

polyhymnia Thu 04-May-17 20:58:11

Let us know what the Seasalt dresses are like, please. Not sure from online if most would be frumpy or not.

Simply Be and Yours are to be avoided IMO. Both full of polyester. If you're only a size or two over 16 I think Cos would be worth a look. And Hobbs.

AvoidingCallenetics Thu 04-May-17 21:08:41

I found a nice navy linen one in next.

Katinkka Thu 04-May-17 23:05:53

I've got a lot of sea salt clothes. They are good quality and last well. All good quality cotton. You can't beat a nice cotton dress imo.

CountryCaterpillar Thu 04-May-17 23:09:14

I had the same experience with simply b sad I kept one of them as it was a lovely dress but I was wanting cool summer clothes!!!

I can't fit fat Face anymore or I'd be doing fanface.

Katinkka Thu 04-May-17 23:15:55

Yeah. I also liked Fat Face till I got too fat.

CountryCaterpillar Thu 04-May-17 23:21:58

It's not fair is it!!!

I've just been across to seasalts "new plus size" page and all the tunics are sold out in 22/24 that I looked at....

Bejazzled Fri 05-May-17 00:53:02

Jaeger do excellent cotton and linen. Look on the Outlet and maybe eBay for bargains.

SmurfPants Fri 05-May-17 10:25:38

AvoidingCallanetics was that the linen shift dress? I bought one too after seeing it on a thread here! I wanted to go back and thank the recommender, but couldn't remember the thread title.

Right, I'm going for a mooch around the other suggestions, thank you.

BeMorePanda Fri 05-May-17 10:37:47

I agree Simply Be is horrendous fabric wise. And expensive too.

Problem I have with Lands End etc is all these dresses seem to be just about the knee. And I'm 5'8" so they end up being quite above the knee.
And it's been at least 10- years since I've wanted my knees visible all day - I prefer a just below the knee length.

So I've taken up sewing again and have been knocking out some fantastic dresses - the length I want, the fabric I want, the design I want. I wish I had more time to sew, but my me-made wardrobe is shaping up nicely.

I've made 2 short sleeve summer version of this wrap dress and have more in the pipeline: shop.cashmerette.com/products/appleton-dress

I've working on this too (might finish it this weekend):
sewhouse7.com/products/the-tea-house-top-and-dress

Plans to make one of these for dressier occasions:
www.cashmerette.com/2016/05/upton-dress.html

If you are looking to take up a new holly (or revive old skills) making your own dresses is very pleasing!

BeMorePanda Fri 05-May-17 10:37:59

holly = hobby

AvoidingCallenetics Fri 05-May-17 12:45:58

It's the sleeveless one with the v neck Smurf, so probably the same one smile

SmurfPants Sat 06-May-17 15:04:26

Just popped back in to say the sea salt dresses are great! I'm so pleased smile thank you!

For anyone interested, the sizing is similar to next and Boden, if not even more generous.

When I get a minute I'm going to check the other recommendations too.

SmurfPants Sat 06-May-17 15:07:30

Bemorepanda, what a great idea! I often wish I could buy a good dress in lots of different fabrics. I've only ever seen straight lines... but maybe mows the time to try something more??

I've always imagined that handmade clothing would look shit if it was made by my hands. Is there a beginner pattern you'd recommend?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: