Talk

Advanced search

Are my GHDs dying? What next?

(15 Posts)
ZiggyForever Tue 02-May-17 20:49:55

Hi everyone - do GHDs wear out? I bought v5.0 four years ago and I don't know if it's my imagination but I don't think they're as good as they used to be. They don't have a temperature indicator so I don't know if they still get as hot as they're supposed to, but they don't seem to straighten my hair as effectively or easily these days.

What should I buy next? More GHDs or the Cloud Nines everyone is talking about?

insertimaginativeusername Tue 02-May-17 21:32:30

Absolutely cloud nines! Had mine a few months now and they are fab, I like the adjustable heat setting and they smooth and straighten so much better than ghd's!

ZiggyForever Tue 02-May-17 21:42:36

So they really are better, then . . . ooooooo, tempted grin

katieferg81 Tue 02-May-17 21:51:15

I've had my first pair of GHDs nearly 10 years and they still work (I use them as my traveling pair now), due to having a second home a few years ago I asked for another pair of straightners for Christmas and got cloud nines they worked as well as GHDs for about 2/3 months and then they broke needless to say they were returned and with my refund I bought another pair of GHDs their 5 year warranty takes some beating.

insertimaginativeusername Tue 02-May-17 21:57:06

Definitely! I have long hair so have the wide plate. Can run them through for work in minutes and looks loads better than when I would spend ages with the ghds grin

I also like that they have a cap that you put over the end and heat proof bag so they can be put away straight after use - ideal when I have 2 children under my feet getting ready.

ZiggyForever Tue 02-May-17 22:03:21

I've always been GHD-loyal, Katie, but I heard all sorts of things about them being poorer quality now than the original ones and so on . . . who knows where this stuff comes from though.

How are the Cloud Nines for curling - but maybe you can't, if you have the wider plate ones?

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 02-May-17 22:04:25

I have GHD's and cloud 9's and both produce excellent results - can't really put one ahead of other as both great ! So go with whichever is the best deal !!

insertimaginativeusername Tue 02-May-17 22:10:06

I can't curl with straightening irons anyway! (Hence my own thread for curling iron recommendations! grin) my friend has the regular ones though and finds they curl better than ghds.

ZiggyForever Tue 02-May-17 22:55:09

Ugh. Loads of conflicting information/reviews online. Looks like it's mostly down to luck in relation to quality/satisfaction with both confused

DonaldTrumpsTrump Wed 03-May-17 02:58:28

I've had my GHD's about 6 years and find they're not straightening as well as they used to. Maybe it's a certain type of them that lose their effectiveness sad

ZiggyForever Thu 11-May-17 18:27:33

I did it . . . I bought a pair of the ghd platinum ones, they arrive tomorrow.

I am disproportionately excited about this grin

floatingfrog Thu 11-May-17 18:35:31

I have had my GHDs 14 years ago and still going strong.

thetroutofnocraic Thu 11-May-17 18:45:17

My GHDs are about 9 years old and, whilst they are still hotter that the lowest circle of hell, they seem to be dragging/catching on my hair...they must have little scratches on the plates.

ZiggyForever Thu 11-May-17 18:59:12

I reckon the older versions are the better quality ones - I think I remember reading somewhere that they changed manufacturer and the quality declined . . . again, who knows if this is actually true though!

ZiggyForever Sat 13-May-17 00:24:49

Soooo . . . they're okay. Not worth the money. They're a bit unwieldy, and kind of floppy. But maybe I just have to get used to them . . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now