Talk

Advanced search

Quitting my GHDs - can anyone recommend a hairdryer?

(6 Posts)
SantanicoPandemonium Sun 30-Apr-17 11:26:59

I've been straightening my hair for years, but it's getting damaged and I want to start blow drying only - the problem is that when I've straightened my hair, it looks all shiny but when it's just blowdried it doesn't have the same finish.

I've heard about these ionising hairdryers that are meant to be great, but they're not cheap and I don't want to waste money on a gimmick. Also, I've got no idea about decent brands or what type I should go for.

I've got slightly wavy at the front, shoulder length hair that's an ok thickness and gets greasy quickly. It's washed everyday and I use argon oil before drying and castor & coconut once a week.

Any recommendations?

MangosAndPapayas Sun 30-Apr-17 11:48:18

You should be able to straighten your hair without damaging it.

I'd go for a good cut (more than you'd normally have off to get rid of split ends), a couple of intensive treatments at the hair dressers and make sure you use a heat protector spray before drying. The other thing is to make sure you don't over dry - ideally wash your hair and leave it for about an hour (if long and thick) or 30 mins (if shorter) so when you start to blow dry it's not soaking wet. Then make sure you keep the heat source (whether a blowdrier or straighteners) moving - instense heat focussed (slow straighetning or blasting on one spot) causes damage.

If you are still set on no straighteners, I have a Parlux 3800 ionic which is great. For a sleaker look, finish off the blow dry by using a bristle brush - like Mason & Pearson - for the final couple of strokes (ie. put the brush under the hair, hair drier on top and move them both down through the hair). This helps you to keep the heat moving because otherwise you start to melt the white plastic bits in between the bristles!

Finally, make sure you are using a quality shine spray or serum that suits your hair and is applied properly (too much looks greasy, too little achieves nothing). This takes practice and experimentation with different products till you find one that suits your hair.

jeaux90 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:22:38

Second the parlux it's fab.

Also try the condition wash condition.

Then leave for a little bit as pp said.

Blast the roots first (if the roots aren't straight nothing else is) then use a good quality large round brush and practice doing it in sections (there are some good YouTube tutorials on this) I now only need to use the straightener on the top later in general.

Ivory200 Sun 30-Apr-17 17:34:02

Babyliss Big Hair. Frizz to shiny waves with one hand!!

Unicorn81 Sun 30-Apr-17 18:38:19

This looks good but no reviews www.boots.com/nicky-clarke-supershine-2200w-ac-dryer-10221443

SpeckledyHen Sun 30-Apr-17 18:58:01

Another vote for Parlux and a good brush . Perhaps have a blow dry at your hairdresser's and watch their technique & and ask advice ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now