Talk

Advanced search

Facial sunblock for sensitive pale skin?

(45 Posts)
SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 14:25:23

If you have celtic type skin, that reacts badly to chemical type sunblock, what do you use on your face? I'm struggling to find something with a nice texture. I hate that matt but slightly tacky feel that some have, gives me a chalk on a blackboard feeling. I'm ok with the Avene one, but it does make me look a bit Bette Davis in "whatever happened to baby Jane?". I want something like a lovely face cream/ foundation, but factor 50, no Oxybenzone.

Crispsheets Fri 28-Apr-17 14:28:30

I use ultrasun. I have polymorphic light eruption and need good coverage. I'm like a milk bottle too.

mintmagnummm Fri 28-Apr-17 14:45:27

Eucerin mattifying spf 50 don't be put off by the word mattifying. I've got hyper sensitive skin and the ultrasun was awful for me personally

mintmagnummm Fri 28-Apr-17 14:46:11

Eucerin mattifying spf 50 don't be put off by the word mattifying. I've got hyper sensitive skin and the ultrasun was awful for me personally

SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 15:23:08

I can't use Ultrasun either, I bought the facial one last year but I reacted to it. (It is ok on one of my dds for the body, but not face, and the other comes up in a rash if she uses it). What is the sunscreen agent in the Eucerin, is it a mineral one?

SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 15:25:43

I need something nice enough for everyday, as I'm outside a lot, and either the same thing or something else for beach/sea.

ExplodingCarrots Fri 28-Apr-17 15:43:25

I came here to say Ultrasun. I have the same condition as crisp. I have used Decleor aroma sun face cream in spf50 which I liked too but it's more on the pricier side.

SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 15:58:14

I have a feeling that the Decleor has Oxybenzone in, which I am allergic to. But I'll go and google. I don't mind how much it costs, I would pay pretty much any stupid price to get something that works but doesn't bring me out in a rash or make me look bizarre. smile

SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 16:03:10

It is so tricky looking online as so many things don't have an ingredients list.

Ollivander84 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:08:52

I use Biore watery essence, there's a la Roche posay one that's meant to be good too
Try here for ingredients of anything, I've input the Biore one so you can see how results show grin
http://cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_24f5181430.html

Ollivander84 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:13:17

Review of another one here I've been thinking about trying
http://chocowip.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/review-etude-house-sunprise-mild-airy.html?m=1
And ingredients http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_2583188690.html

Korean generally is the way to go for sun stuff, they're more.. Refined? I think is the word! The Biore watery essence I can use under makeup and can't even tell I'm wearing it. If you google best Korean SPF, there's a load of articles on them smile

puddock Fri 28-Apr-17 16:17:15

I've just ordered some of the Leroche Posay Anthelios one on the recommendation of a friend. I specified "must be invisible, non clarty, not make my rosacea flare up, or smell weird". The moon on a stick?

mintmagnummm Fri 28-Apr-17 16:19:55

The eucerin isn't mineral I don't think, I'll check box. But I can't use most of the ones I've tried as they have stung like hell and made face very red and irritated!......I can see titanium dioxide which is mineral but think it has chemical too although definitely no oxybenzone

SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 16:20:35

The scond one might work for me! The first one has Methoxycinnamate in which I have reacted to in the past. I had been looking at this one
www.lookfantastic.com/skin79-super-plus-beblesh-balm-spf40-pa-40g-purple/11365749.html Which I think is also Korean? I've bought bits and bobs of Korean skincare, but it is a bit of a minefield for the allergy-prone as the ingredients are usually in Korean.

user1488756360 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:20:48

I use the La Roche Posay factor 50 one. I have very sensitive skin and have developed rosacea on my cheek over the past 12-18 months. I almost always wear foundation with factor 15/20 anyway but wear sun cream under my make up a lot of the time too. As a sun cream it's fantastic and a
little goes a long way so last for ages. I don't like the make up finish tho,
My make up never last as long on top of it. It's ok and is fine for day to day. When it runs out I think I'll try something else that's better as a make up base.

mintmagnummm Fri 28-Apr-17 16:21:42

It's this...

SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 16:21:56

Haha to the "moon on a stick" ...That's what i need. dusted with powdered (naturally shed) unicorn horn.

Ollivander84 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:22:10

That one you've linked is a BB cream so yes SPF but it's effectively a tinted moisturiser as well smile
P.s buy off eBay as its about half the price for anything! There's a few recommended eBay shops I can find

rubybleu Fri 28-Apr-17 16:23:29

Neostrata Sheer Physical Protection SPF 50. It's a very thin mineral sunscreen with a very light tint that is flattering on my ruddy very pale skin. I sometimes use it alone with a brush of powder on top as it tones down my redness.

As long as you shake it very well, it doesn't feel tacky or leave a residue.

StripeyZazie Fri 28-Apr-17 16:27:04

This is good.

It's got a slight pink tint to it, so should suit a Celtic complexion fine. Very handy size tube, easy to carry round.

bran Fri 28-Apr-17 16:37:03

I used to use Sunsense Daily Face. It was like a very pale tinted moisturiser, not glowing white. This year I have just ordered some Moogoo factor 15 to try because other posters have recommended it for sensitive skin. I'm not a very outdoorsy person, even when I'm outside in the sunshine I always seek shade as I don't like the feel of the sun on my skin and I live in Ireland so factor 15 is probably enough for me.

SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 16:55:32

Stripey that one is out of stock but I've put in my details for an alert. Am now off to google the Neostrata and other suggestions. I've ordered the second one Olivander linked to, along with something else Korean and the Skin79 bb cream stuff as they were all on Yes Style. Great to have so many suggestions, as surely something will work!

SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 16:56:59

I've got the sunsense daily face, I bought it last year and didn't use it, can't remember why but probably there is something in the ingredients that worried me, I'll go and root it out to check.

SirVixofVixHall Fri 28-Apr-17 16:59:50

Have found the Neostrata one on Amazon so will buy that too.

Ollivander84 Fri 28-Apr-17 17:00:52

The BB cream - I have one that's a high SPF, I'm v v pale and haven't burnt with it. So even though really it should be a "separate" sun cream it should work well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now