Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Looking for a striking dress to wear to a wedding - please help!

(12 Posts)
Jellylorum Fri 28-Apr-17 09:04:34

I've recently had my third baby so confidence not so high, but would love to find a great dress with a bit of a wow factor for a summer wedding. I'm 5'9 and size 12 with broad shoulders and small hips, so preferably something with a bit of a waist and flattering over the stomach. Can anyone help?

Jellylorum Fri 28-Apr-17 09:05:09

Should say I'm 34 in case that's relevant!

Trills Fri 28-Apr-17 09:08:07

34 is not relevant smile

What colours do you like?

Do you have a preference for sleeves/no sleeves?

Do you feel strongly about straight vs A-line skirts?

Jellylorum Fri 28-Apr-17 09:12:33

I've got pale skin and reddish hair, so I usually prefer greens, blues and browns, but would consider paler colours given it's for a wedding. I prefer sleeves but would wear a cardigan or wrap over something sleeveless. A-line seems to look better, ideally finishing just below the knee.

Semaphorically Fri 28-Apr-17 09:16:07

What's your budget?

Would something like this suit you?

Jellylorum Fri 28-Apr-17 09:18:14

Budget is up to £150 but would happily spend less! Thanks for the suggestion - I think it would make me look top heavy and probably hang off my shoulders. Love the colour though.

PETRONELLAS Fri 28-Apr-17 09:20:10

This isn't below the knee but is very flattering and striking and comfortable. www.coast-stores.com/p/rockafella-print-maxi-dress/1778998

BumbleNova Fri 28-Apr-17 09:22:17

have you had a look at Chi Chi clothing? they have some lovely occasion dresses and generally in a-line shapes.
www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Norma-Dress.html
www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Isla-Dress.html
www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Amber-Dress.html

I've ordered from the site before, the dresses are good quality.

Semaphorically Fri 28-Apr-17 09:24:16

No sleeves, but a lovely colour?

FauxFox Fri 28-Apr-17 09:27:31

jade
floral
embellished green
gorgeous green

Semaphorically Fri 28-Apr-17 09:29:19

Floral?

Jellylorum Fri 28-Apr-17 09:36:58

I really like some of these and great to have suggestions for companies I've never heard of. I'll have a good look through. I prefer a v-neck to a high neck and don't seem to be able to carry off a midi length very well but will perhaps try a few on and see.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: