Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Gloves

(7 Posts)
ExplodedCloud Tue 25-Apr-17 12:57:09

Not really S&B but you may know smile

I have nerve damage that affects part of one hand. In my index finger and thumb I have hypersensitivity which means that anything that moves across it is painful. Like sandpaper.

My cunning plan is to buy gloves. I need very thin, snug gloves that will stay still on my hand. I have very small hands though. (Donald Trump should employ me to shake hands with him.) I have children's gloves normally.
I want to use them for ironing as arranging the clothes on the board is unbearable so I think latex might be out.
Any suggestions of places that sell suitable gloves in a variety of sizes? At reasonable prices.

heebiejeebie Tue 25-Apr-17 13:03:33

I bought soft white cotton gloves from a large chemist when I had terrible dermatitis.

ExplodedCloud Tue 25-Apr-17 13:07:06

Were they snug? I can't have them sliding around as even stroking a t-shirt hurts!

botemp Tue 25-Apr-17 13:20:36

Search for eczema gloves, I'm sure they do them in children's sizes. If the seams feel uncomfortable you can consider wearing them inside out.

CheersMedea Tue 25-Apr-17 13:46:34

Where precisely on your finger and thumb is the issue? Is it the whole finger or just part of it. If not the tip have you looked at compression gloves for arthritis etc - they are super snug and won't move - but tend to be not quite "fingerless" more "finger tip less".

You can also get elastic splints if it is part of your finger - like this:

www.amazon.co.uk/d/a0c/Protective-Bandage-Support-Protector-Protection-Elastic-Volleyball/B00V23JTGU?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Boots and other chemists also do cotton gloves as has been suggested. I think you probably need to try some on to get the right sizing. You may need a size smaller than you actually need if you see what I mean.

CheersMedea Tue 25-Apr-17 13:48:07

Or latex type gloves (like surgeons use). They are really snug.

www.justgloves.co.uk/Latex-Gloves/Top-Glove-Powdered-Latex-Gloves-AQL-15

ExplodedCloud Tue 25-Apr-17 14:03:49

Thanks all. I do have some latex gloves now - our pharmacy had a box of small - which are actually helping. The biggest problems are the pads of my finger and thumb sad
I have searched for eczema gloves and ordered them and a few other pairs to try from justgloves.
DH is painfully precise at ironing so whilst I appreciate him doing mine, I need to gain control of the ironing pile!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: