Talk

Advanced search

Cream leather jacket - chavvy?

(14 Posts)
IHeartDodo Mon 24-Apr-17 22:39:45

So I've bought myself a cream leather jacket, pretty much like the one in the picture, and was feeling pretty pleased with myself (trying to smarten up a bit!).
Told my friend, and she was really surprised! Finally got her to explain, and she said that white leather jackets were a "slapper" thing, as in "tarty essex girls with massive drawn on eyebrows"!
Is that true?? And if so would I look ridiculous? I'm 26, but probably look and dress a bit older, always very neat and clean! Trying to think of a celebrity I look/act like and the best I can think of is the "Lucy" character in not going out...
Please tell me what you think??

TomaytoTomahto Mon 24-Apr-17 23:03:53

I don't think it's chavvy if styled right. It always depends on what you pair it with and how you carry yourself. The stereotypical "chav" can make the classiest thing look cheap.

HonorBright Mon 24-Apr-17 23:10:39

Be very,very careful if carrying a leather bag of any mid to dark colour. If / when the colour transfers you will never get it out.

IHeartDodo Mon 24-Apr-17 23:24:25

Hmm I was thinking something like a longish floral top, skinny jeans and brown leather boots? Or a flippy skirt and boots? I like to wear colours, so probably green /brown/blue/purple?

Thanks Honor, hadn't thought of that! Don't have any other white clothes cos I tend to ruin them!

bojorojo Mon 24-Apr-17 23:36:22

No. It is fine. It is not head to toe Burberry! Wear it with floral summer dresses, floaty ones, and over jump suits. If you keep the clothes chic you will look great. Loads of floral dresses around at the moment and anything that's pale pink or nude!

VivienneEastwood Mon 24-Apr-17 23:46:20

Listen to your friend. It's very TOWIE.

starsinyourpies Tue 25-Apr-17 00:43:38

I don't like it, sorry.

BusterGonad Tue 25-Apr-17 05:38:00

Can you put a picture on of you in a outfit with it? Some people can wear anything and look great. But if it makes you happy then wear it. Also just a warning dark jeans will also leave a mark if they are newish!

IHeartDodo Tue 25-Apr-17 10:28:14

Bum. I thought I was super-stylish!
It hasn't come yet but I will, bought it on ebay.

LadyOfTheCanyon Tue 25-Apr-17 10:56:49

depends entirely what you wear it with but I would go Hippy-luxe with long florals and floatyness. Absolutely dont use dyed leather bags with it (learned this the hard way!)

BusterGonad Tue 25-Apr-17 10:59:08

I agree with Lady it'll look gorgeous with spring time florals in pink, nudes and lilacs. Don't be disheartened.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Tue 25-Apr-17 11:04:46

I think you'll have to be very careful how you style it. It would look a bit cheap with jeans imo but maybe ok with summer dresses & skirts. I prefer the pale pink ones that are in the shops at the mo.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Tue 25-Apr-17 11:07:36

No, it won't be super-stylish in a throw-it-on-with-anything way. You'll have to be really careful what you put it with (jeans would look cheap with it, for example).

A pale dove-grey or pink would be better whilst still being a pale neutral.

IHeartDodo Thu 07-Dec-17 13:20:59

Well came across this in a thread clear-out.
You were right, it didn't look good at all sad
Put it back on ebay and only lost a couple of pounds though!
I think I like the idea of leather jackets but in reality they don't really suit me - if they're baggy I look awful, and if they're tight I feel like I can't move my arms!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now