Talk

Advanced search

Patching very ripped jeans - daft or what?

(4 Posts)
Fontella Mon 24-Apr-17 13:57:59

I don't know if this is a completely bonkers idea or what.

I've got a pair of cropped ripped jeans - (mid calf length) which are a lovely fit, and I really like. They are a summer wear, no good for winter - to be worn with wedge sandals and a floaty boho top.

I'm going on hols in a couple of weeks and just got them out of the drawer after several months - and they are ridiculously ripped. Both knees hanging out, and a massive hole/rip on one thigh - I just don't remember them being quite so torn up - maybe they just got more ripped more through wash and wea and I didn't notice? I can obviously buy some new ones, but these fit me so well and are so comfy I'm a bit gutted they are in such a state.

Is it a daft idea to try and patch them together a bit? Maybe sew up some of the edges, or put some other denim behind or a contrasting fabric?

Almostthere15 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:01:43

It's not a daft idea but denim is really hard to sew so you'll need a special needle probab. the jeans might be soft enough though. I'd go with a contrast cotton, if they aren't wearable now what do you have to lose? Don't sew the patches too tight though as they'll need give, particularly around the knees

Sheusedtobesomeonelse Mon 24-Apr-17 14:07:20

I love a pair of ripped jeans and have a pair that i don't dare wear as alos very ripped, i'm going to take mine to my local Levis store - 3 times a week they have a seamstress in store to do exactly this - from taking in - letting out jeans she also can fix them up however you like. I dont mind having a go myself sewing but denim and a normal sewing machine needle is abit too much for me!
If you have a jeans shop/levis/any good seamstress not far from you you should def. enquire - i bought some jeans in the sales 3 sizes too big and they fit like a glove now for 15€, i really should have done it before!

Foldedtshirt Mon 24-Apr-17 14:08:12

Where are you going? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now