Talk

Advanced search

Bra intervention - help

(10 Posts)
LovelyWhiteWashing Mon 24-Apr-17 13:30:50

Ok have NC for this.

I am pretty sure I've got the right size but just want some comments from experts.

Having spent most of my life in 34A or 34B I am now wearing 30Ds in the main.

My underbust measurement is 29.5 ( or 29 pulling tape tight.)
Leaning over and dangling it all, is 35.

I wear a 30D most of the time or a 32D. Very occasionally 32C.

I don't have big boobs but they are quite rounded and pert.

If I go into a 30DD I find that most bras have much thicker back bands, triple hooks and thicker straps. This doesn't look or feel right on me because I'm really tiny and feel too upholstered.

The other problem is that I have small shoulders and many straps are set too wide apart. They end up cutting into my armpits or slipping off.

I get on best with plunge styles rather than balcony.

Now..the question is, how tight should the band be? 30 back is tight sometimes but a 32 which feels more comfy, fastens on the first (tightest) hooks and feels a bit loose. So I'm assuming this is too loose when the bra stretches in wear.
I think the problem is I either have to choose too tight a band or slightly too loose.

Any ideas?

NeedATrim Tue 25-Apr-17 18:32:13

I'm bumping this thread in the hopes it'll be seen. I'm trying to find the bra intervention thread(s)but no joy.
Can someone give me a size if I do my measurements please? Desperately need underwear.

Chesterfuckingdraws Tue 25-Apr-17 18:38:34

If you're measuring 29/29.5 the 30 band should be perfect (wear on the loosest hook and tighten it over time as the band stretches) It will feel snug until you get used to it. I dropped from a 34 to a 30 and thought I was going to pass out but I quickly got used to it.
Re the straps, I think it will be trial and error to get the perfect fit. If you have Facebook checkout "boob or bust" or "fairy boobmother" both are great advice pages and know their stuff.

Chesterfuckingdraws Tue 25-Apr-17 18:40:12

needatrim check this site out, it will give you roughly the right size. booborbust.com

NeedATrim Tue 25-Apr-17 18:51:53

You're ace, thank you. thumbs up

rememberpurpleronnie Tue 25-Apr-17 18:53:13

If you find the boob or bust Facebook page you can request a fit check from one of the admins- they can take a couple of weeks though I think!

Cubik Wed 26-Apr-17 22:20:22

Chester, how snug is snug? I am a 29-30, and have just ordered some 30 inch bras having read the bra intervention threads.

Compared to my old bras they feel tight, and despite being fairly slim i have spectacular bulges under my armpits. It's definitely not breast tissue​, just fat squeezed over, but I'm not used to it.

I had planned to send them all back, but if they tend to loosen Up will sit tight. The cups fit beautifully.

Chesterfuckingdraws Thu 27-Apr-17 22:19:29

I'm no expert but have been reading up on correct bras, try putting the bra on backwards (so cups at the back and fastening at the front) you should be able to get 2fingers under the band and pull out approx 1inch(ish) the band give the majority of the support so it should be firm.
It should run parallel round your body, so no riding up back/front.
The wires should sit right up in the crease of your boobs and your whole boob should be encased within the wire.
As for the back fat, i do still have sqidgy bits after scooping everything into the cup but this has reduced a bit over time.
My bands do leave a mark (like sock marks) that fade over approx 30-40mins after taking my bra off.
Hope that helps. If you have a bravissimo store nearby and can visit they are good at fitting and offering advice on the best shape of bra to flatter your bold shape.

Cubik Thu 27-Apr-17 22:37:29

That's very helpful, thanks. I need to get over myself, then, and accept how untoned I am.

Chesterfuckingdraws Thu 27-Apr-17 22:44:24

I decided that the better posture and my boobs being in the right place was a big enough distraction from my back fat 😂
My sister on the other hand refuses to wear the correct band size as she just finds it too uncomfortable and she doesn't believe that I'm right so she's a size 10 and I've eventually got her into a 32 from a 36. I think a lot of it does depend on the style of bra too, and how big a cup you wear.
I now only wear one style of bra
And refuse to even try others. It does take a bit of trial and error to get the right one for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now