Talk

Advanced search

"AmI too old to wear...?" No. You are not.

(102 Posts)
Trills Sun 23-Apr-17 16:09:57

You are never "too old" to wear anything.

There are many things that you might not look good in, or might not feel comfortable in*, but your age is not the reason.

This also applies to hairstyles and makeup.

(*not feeling comfortable in something is a quick way to not look good in it, because your body language will show that you're not happy with it)

This is not a TAAT, this is a TA Many Ts.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Sun 23-Apr-17 16:17:22

Agree 100% smile

(Though I was walking around Topshop the other day for the first time in years, as I mostly order any TS stuff online, and i did feel a bit old for the first time)

insancerre Sun 23-Apr-17 16:19:56

Agree
Wear it, own it, whatever age you are

Bluntness100 Sun 23-Apr-17 16:25:55

Yeah, not sure I agree to be honest. Have you ever seen the movie baby Jane with Bette Davis? If you're a 60 year old women dressing like a five year old girl in pigtails, ankle socks and a short dress you are too old for it and look like a twat. Some things you definitely are too old to wear. Sorry op.

DangerMouse17 Sun 23-Apr-17 16:30:59

Agree OP. I hate all the "mutton" comments and people feeling like past 30 they are too old to wear certain things. If you look good and feel good then that's all that matters!

Trills Sun 23-Apr-17 16:34:09

Bluntness my apologies for not being explicit that this applies to adult clothing, not children's clothing. I didn't think it needed saying, but apparently for you it does.

I expect Bette Davis would have looked ridiculous in that outfit at any (adult) age.

DaemonPantalaemon Sun 23-Apr-17 16:35:26

Don't be silly. Of course there are many things that are simply too young to be worn by grown women. For instance, you would not wear knee-high white socks or princess costumes to attend a party that is not fancy dress! And if you are over the age of 40 or 45, hot pants look ridiculous, as do mid-riff baring tops, thigh high boots and huge platform wedges!

BuzzKillington Sun 23-Apr-17 16:36:41

What about wearing your hair in bunches? I am definitely too old for that and have been for 30 years.

What about something really short or <shudder> dungarees? I am too old, far too old.

I am 46 btw. I am slim and like fashion, but I do think age is a reason not to wear certain styles.

HardcoreLadyType Sun 23-Apr-17 16:37:12

This is a useful list of things women should never wear after they turn 30.

muckypup73 Sun 23-Apr-17 16:44:14

I think age is a factor for some things as is body shape, I think sometimes seeing large woman wearing leggings and tops where their tits are hanging out is not flattering.

Trills Sun 23-Apr-17 16:50:14

Daemon I'll assume that was a cross-post and you too require it to be pointed out to you that I am not talking about children's outfits (e.g. princess costumes).

If there is something that you would have looked good in and felt happy in at 21, that you would not look good in (or not felt happy in) at 41, then there is always another reason beyond age.

Either how you look has changed, or what you like has changed.

Trills Sun 23-Apr-17 16:51:02

Hardcore should only men be jetpack testers? Or only the young and foolish? grin

Rudymentary Sun 23-Apr-17 16:57:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floisme Sun 23-Apr-17 16:58:35

Of course some things no longer suit me. What I don't do is extrapolate that no-one my age should therefore wear it. As I'm always saying on here - we don't all look the same. We tend to share a preference for better fabrics, knee length hemlines and a lot of us like sleeves. That's really about it.

As for dressing like a child... yes I'm sure I would look like a twat but so would any grown up.

What always exasperates me about this discussion is, I see young women looking ridiculous every single day of the week and yet no-one turns a hair. And yet a middle aged woman makes a style mistake and the roof falls in.

InvisibleKittenAttack Sun 23-Apr-17 16:59:17

Agree op - as you age your body shape might well change so you no longer would look good in certain styles, but that's not you being the wrong age for the clothes but the wrong shape.

TheWeevilincidentof2009 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:01:54

And avoid all those "make-up tips for over 50s" The skin of a 52 year old is unlikely to be the same as a 76 year old's so why lump us all together once we stop being 49?

Bluntness100 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:03:31

Bluntness my apologies for not being explicit that this applies to adult clothing, not children's clothing. I didn't think it needed saying, but apparently for you it does

Daemon I'll assume that was a cross-post and you too require it to be pointed out to you that I am not talking about children's outfits (e.g. princess costumes)

Bwahahahaha , someone is being all snippy because she wasn't agreed with, 😂😂😂

TheWeevilincidentof2009 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:03:41

Floisme's final paragraph is bang on - as per usual.

UppityHumpty Sun 23-Apr-17 17:04:58

The make-up tips for the 'over 50s' are really the make up tips most women with non-oily skin should embrace. Toner outside of cold water isn't ever required, moisturizers and make up should be light, and lipsticks lined appropriately.

herecomesthsun Sun 23-Apr-17 17:09:07

Love love love"The One Ring" as something I should never wear over the age of 30...

PuntCuffin Sun 23-Apr-17 17:10:27

When you say ' how you look has changed', it is inevitable that as you age, your appearance will change, so by default, age IS a reason to adapt what you wear to suit.

I would have happily worn ( and did wear) crop tops and arse skimming skirts when I was 23. Aged 43, it would be ridiculous and I am still the same size. But, I no longer have a fresh youthful look.

'High fashion' on people (both men and women) tends to start looking cheap and slightly sad, as if you are trying to hold on to your youth. In most cases, it just doesn't work. Far better to adopt an ageless style and grow older gracefully.

Trills Sun 23-Apr-17 17:11:18

Maybe that's it - maybe the "things people over 30 shouldn't wear" look ridiculous on everyone but for some reason people under 25 are permitted to look ridiculous?

Rudymentary Sun 23-Apr-17 17:12:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UserNumber4895269 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:15:24

I think that that's absolutely it - ridiculousness is only considered acceptable in young people.

Niminy Sun 23-Apr-17 17:27:18

Time for me to link (yet again) to Advanced Style. Why shouldn't us oldsters look ridiculous, wear inappropriate things, play around, give good taste the finger and generally enjoy fashion? As I get older I see more death and it makes me less than ever concerned to dress my age. (Btw I have a friend of 75 who rocks bunches.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now