Talk

Advanced search

Contact Lens Wearers - Any Tips?

(36 Posts)
Gingefringe Sun 23-Apr-17 15:23:41

I've just been for my first contact lens appointment where I had a 'trial and teach' yesterday. Whilst I was just about able to put the lenses in and remove them at the consultation (I practised three times) I am really struggling to put them in at home!
Any tips from experienced lens wearers? They are daily disposables from Boots.
Also, did you find that you needed to change your eye-make up or eye creams?
blush

IvankaTrudeau Sun 23-Apr-17 15:26:57

Just be patient with yourself and keep trying. I really couldn't get the hang of it initially but now it's so natural. I haven't had to change eye make up or anything like that.

Foreverhopeful22 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:32:54

Keep trying contact lenses are like shoes

Just because they are the right size they can be uncomfortable

I can't wear boots or Johnson they are awful on me

If after a week you are struggling then change brands

Also waterproof mascara is a must I found

AuditAngel Sun 23-Apr-17 15:37:53

I never had an issue, but I find that I value the lens on my finger tip, then pull down my lower lid to insert the lens.

I use extended wear lenses, so wear them for a month without removing them

RedMetamorphosis Sun 23-Apr-17 17:15:19

I started wearing them a month or so ago. At first, I really struggled but already it is rare if I don't get them in on the first attempt.

I balance it right on the tip of my index finger, slightly tilted backwards. I then use my third finger to pull my eyelid down and my other hand to pull my lid up under my eyelashes.

Taking them out, I pull it inside on one eye and outside of the other.

You will get to grips but also don't be afraid of asking for a different type of lens to trial.

LadyOfTheCanyon Sun 23-Apr-17 17:18:12

Daily ones tend to be fiddlier than weekly or longer ones -also I've found that hydrating lenses are thicker, and easier to put in.
Keep your nails short
If your eyes are already big and round you have an advantage as you can just pop them in. I've known people with smaller eyes really struggle.
It's just practice -I've been wearing lenses for 15 years now and can put them in without a mirror (and in extremis using only saliva -please don't judge me!)
The only PITA is not being able to wear eyeliner in my waterline, but that's a small price to pay for being able to see properly.

domesticslattern Sun 23-Apr-17 17:19:25

Don’t rush. It does take a while. I lie mine on the eyeball, then tip my head right back and blink a few times as it settles. I have been wearing them for 20 years and it still takes a few goes to get them in some days.
Don't put mascara on until your lenses are in.
I also keep my finger nails short, not sure if that applies to everyone.

SlB09 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:24:49

Worn for 15+ years, dailies are harder to put in as they tend to really soft and wobbly and very easy to split so just go slowly and gently. I also found I cant wear waterproof mascara as this really irritates the lenses but other than that had no problems. Do take them out at night though even if you cant be arsed as you can really damage the vessels in your eyes xx

vitaminC Sun 23-Apr-17 17:25:24

Look away so you don't see the lens coming towards you and blink!

usernumbernine Sun 23-Apr-17 17:25:40

Just marking my place. I'm getting a trial this week of multi focal ones and I've never worn lenses. I'm nervous and excited.

Kirabelle Sun 23-Apr-17 17:58:27

Have used multifocal dailies for over a year now and there are still days where it takes a few attempts angry. Definitely just keep at it ,persevere,don't give up.I balance the lens on tip of forefinger and using third finger pull done the lower lid.Then I look upwards and pop it in and blink a few times and its in.Most days I get it first attempt but they can be fiddly buggers other times .Brilliant though and wouldn't be without them. smile

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 23-Apr-17 18:21:03

I've worn lenses for about 25 years. My method is: lens on tip of first finger of right hand, use first finger of left hand to open the eye by lifting my eyelashes. Drop in lens, blink. I do it immediately after the shower, before makeup. To remove I pinch between thumb and first finger.

ilovecherries Sun 23-Apr-17 22:34:20

Daily lenses can be a lot more challenging to master, but are great when you do. My method was to balance the lens on the very tip of my middle finger, and use the ring finger of the same hand to pull my lower lid down, and the ring finger of the other hand to pull the upper lashes up. Then I looked away from the lens and sort of 'patted' it onto the eye. Pull the finger back and while still holding the lids, swivel my eye rapidly from side to side to settle the lens in position. Taking them out was a simple pinch motion. I learned from you tube, the teach session was awful. I always put them in straight after my shower, then put my makeup on - couldn't see to do it otherwise! I never had any issues with eye make up and lenses at all. It really is worth persevering.

fauxhito Mon 24-Apr-17 12:51:24

Dailies are the best. I have large eyes, I guess, and have been wearing for almost 20 years (!) but the best method is as above - lens on index finger of right hand, pull lids apart with index finger and thumb of opposite hand. Tap lens in. Look left and right quickly so lens settles. Blink to settle further. Makeup as usual (I don't tightline often though)

specialsubject Mon 24-Apr-17 12:59:31

Been wearing them for decades, still need a mirror to put them in.

Forget in eye black circles if you do that, not sensible with lenses and you'll weep the stain off in minutes. Lenses in first, then any creams or makeup.

I don't judge the person who spits on their lenses but the resulting eye infection will. Don't be a dick with eye health.

fauxhito Mon 24-Apr-17 13:19:48

Oh - I forgot to add, I never use eye creams, they irritate the crap out of the lenses. Also, I'd totally agree, never spit in the lenses and change as often as recommended (never sleep in them) or you might end up with an infection and then not be able to wear them until it clears.

WestCoastDreamin Mon 24-Apr-17 21:27:32

I got on so much better once I switched to extended wear. I found them less irritating and drying, as well as easier to handle.

I pull down my bottom lid and kinda tip it onto the eyeball below the pupil/iris then slowly blink to let it centralise. To remove I slide it, with the side of my finger downwards, pulling lower lid down and pinch it easily from the 'basin' that creates.

Tweetypie85 Mon 24-Apr-17 21:34:24

I was awful at putting them in when I first had them. Have you tried using a different finger? I use different fingers for each eye. I also look to the side. You'll be a pro in no time and won't even need a mirror.

Polkadot1974 Mon 24-Apr-17 21:47:53

Lens on top of right index finger and pull up with left middle finger and down with right middle finger and leave a bit of solution in the lens and look ahead and past lens while putting it in
Shirt nails and pinch to remove. But ask if the first type don't suit

CoolCarrie Mon 24-Apr-17 22:04:58

Always put a dark coloured towel down on the surface below you as you will be able to see the lens if you happen to drop it and keep trying, they really make a world of difference. Always use the right solution and never sleep in them, don't put them in over a sink, rinse the case out with some solution after you put the lenses in, and never, ever use tap water or spit on them.
Good luck and keep trying, you will get there.

FiveShelties Mon 24-Apr-17 22:16:32

I wear monthlies, am OTT about cleaning and just love them. Have had lenses for around 15 yes, thought I would never get used to them initially. I wear them for too long and for too many days according to my optician, I just forget I have them in. No eye cream, sensitive eye make up are the only things I do differently since glasses.

FiveShelties Mon 24-Apr-17 22:18:10

Meant to add, if you cannot get one out, do not keep trying. Just leave it for a while and have another go later.

Mrspotatohead18 Mon 24-Apr-17 22:19:51

Practice! Sometimes I use 3 lenses as I split/drop/lose them. The other times I get them in first go I nearly wet myself with excitement. If I get both in first go I positively shit my pants grin

whereareyousleep Mon 24-Apr-17 22:27:04

It helps to remember the lens will stick to the wettest surface so make sure your hands are dry before you start.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Mon 24-Apr-17 22:30:32

It just takes practice. I found it helpful at first if I wet my fingertip with saline to help the lens "let go" of my finger and stay put in my eye. And if my eyes started getting irritated from repeated failed attempts, I filled the lens itself with saline. Made it a bit of a dribbly business but much more comfortable.

I have had trouble with mascara but didn't often wear it anyway. I just use clear mascara now which gives me no trouble at all. Eyelash curlers, on the other hand, seem to make my lenses spontaneously leap out of my eyes. No idea why.

I keep a few of those little tubes of comfort drops in my handbag for dry-eye days. They are brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now