(19 Posts)
LardLizard Sun 23-Apr-17 08:17:39

Some shops the dresses n skirts seem too short
Then lots of other places like monsoon n phase eight they seem too long
Half way down my calf which isn't a good look on me

Knee length it above knee looks better in me but at 5ft 4
Can be hard to find the right lengths sad

user1492232552 Sun 23-Apr-17 08:22:08

I just wear tights tbh and big knickers in black so if i do flash nothing can be seen. Knee length is just the worst for me, mumsy

dogsdieinhotcars Sun 23-Apr-17 08:32:10

Try being late 40's who thinks she's late 30's! confused

Gwilt160981 Sun 23-Apr-17 08:34:04

Peacocks primark pep&co Asda George. Sometimes have a quick look in charity shops.

Rinkydinkypink Sun 23-Apr-17 08:47:55

Op I generally live in whatever the supermarket sells. It's the only time I get to go shopping! This is standard among my friends.

BabyHamster Sun 23-Apr-17 08:51:12

rinky can't you shop online for clothes?

Treaclespongeandcustard Sun 23-Apr-17 08:53:43

Sainsburys, Debenhams and Next. I'm definitely not a trend setter though so I'm looking forward to other replies too!

AgathaMystery Sun 23-Apr-17 08:58:13

OP I tend to look in Benetton, Matalan, Phase 8, Jigsaw, Gap, DP, but I have everything shortened. I can't wear much off the peg. It took me till I was 34 to accept this.

MargaretWindsor Sun 23-Apr-17 09:04:09

I'm 40 and do still seem to carry off shortish skirts so not sure if this will be much help but my go to shops are Zara, TopShop ( yes I know but look beyond the garish stuff and there are some brilliant directional finds), H&M, Urban Outfitters, and if at a loss just go to A department store and look at all the concessions, stores change sometimes and can surprise you. Warehouse, that I used to love for example, has gone seriously downhill.

elQuintoConyo Sun 23-Apr-17 12:44:16

H&M mostly. They are the only shop whose trousers fit me! Charity shops for the rest.

If something is too long I sew it up. If something gapes just a little, I sew it up. I'll buy something a size bigger and put darts in it until it fits.

I'm trying to pluck up the courage to actually make my own clothes - but bar a couple of t-shirts and a stretchy house dress, I have chickened out grin but hey, thinking about it is half the battle!

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 23-Apr-17 15:02:57

Boden, Next, M&S, White Stuff mainly.

Boden skirts and dresses usually come in different lengths, so you can find the one that suits. I don't mind shorter skirts in the winter with opaques but I prefer knee length for summer.

UppityHumpty Sun 23-Apr-17 15:05:12

Hobbs, John Lewis, M&S, Clarkes, Monsoon, Primark. Sometimes H&M & New Look if I can be be bothered

BounceBounceSplishSplash Sun 23-Apr-17 16:24:34

Warehouse dresses tend to be a good length on me at 5ft 6 - not too short and not too long though I haven't spotted any dresses that I like in there in a while.

LardLizard Sun 23-Apr-17 16:52:58

Thanks guys
All the places I tend to look already then

I think your right I might just have to accept that a lot of things I buy I just have to take up

Grr

Thanks anyway
smile

StainlessSteelButtercup Sun 23-Apr-17 17:03:00

MargaretWindsor, you are so right about Warehouse. What's happened to them this season? I've not been tempted to try on a single thing they've offered for nearly a year now.

elQuintoConyo Sun 23-Apr-17 17:43:09

LardLizard it's frustrating, isn't it? But putting a dart here and there and taking up a hem just became second nature to me (i'm 5ft4 and 'plumpish' wink) and would rather wear things that suit and fit me than fashion.

* having said that, i draw the line at wolf fleeces and Saltwater sandals!

Candlelightnewf Sun 23-Apr-17 17:45:58

My wardrobe is mostly Tu and Next. Partial to a bit of Joe Browns too. I'm 37, short and a bit plump. blush

user1481140239 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:00:33

H&M, Zara, Cos.

dudsville Sun 23-Apr-17 18:05:14

I don't know if this is age related but it is shape related. When I was young I was always stick thin, no hips or boobs. Then mid 30's my shape morphed into something more hourglass and the shops I used to enjoy I no longer suited. Took me AGES to work out what to wear. Good luck op!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now