Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Do you remember the jacket that and I mcdowell wore in four weddings and a funeral?

(50 Posts)
therootoftheroot Sat 22-Apr-17 12:55:22

I want something like that.
Have seen amazing lk Bennett skirt , black with huge white spots. Have got fabulous black hat.
If I can get a fab top like that I would have my perfect wedding outfit for this summer wedding.

Can anyone help?

therootoftheroot Sat 22-Apr-17 12:55:50

Andi mcdowell ffs!

2014newme Sat 22-Apr-17 12:57:10

Er it's a bit 90s! Can you update the look a bit?

therootoftheroot Sat 22-Apr-17 13:01:45

Any suggestions would be fab.
Am tall , big norks.

LapinR0se Sat 22-Apr-17 13:06:28

What do lk Bennett style it with?

therootoftheroot Sat 22-Apr-17 13:08:29

A sleeveless high necked knit top which would look hideous on me. Really. You would have to be really flat chested and willowy to wear it. I am neither!

therootoftheroot Sat 22-Apr-17 13:12:04

Actually no sleeveless. .just checked. Short sleeved. But very high necked.

BikeRunSki Sat 22-Apr-17 13:12:08

Was it a big cream double breasted cropped jacket?

therootoftheroot Sat 22-Apr-17 13:38:19

What I remember was the neckline. Deep v neck with wide lapels.
It would need to be shortish I think with that skirt. I 2antvto link but my phone won't let me.

BusterGonad Sat 22-Apr-17 13:48:29

Op a quick google search is all it takes to get a picture.

therootoftheroot Sat 22-Apr-17 13:58:07

Yes it's great isn't it? I had done that already.
What I am asking is has anyone seen anything similar for sale now?
Or anything with a similar neckine?

I wasn't just asking what the original top looked like.

BusterGonad Sat 22-Apr-17 14:00:50

What I mean is, it would help us mumsnetters if you put a picture up so then someone might actually know what you are talking about rather then all of us thinking confused. You might actually get a response that is helpful! Not everyone will be bothered to google it, I'm just trying to help you out!

ArtemisiaGentilleschi Sat 22-Apr-17 14:03:50

I imagine anyone replying will actually remember it...

Erm, it's very dated. And beige-cream is a bit Per Una...

TrashPanda Sat 22-Apr-17 14:05:47

Is this the skirt?

therootoftheroot Sat 22-Apr-17 14:10:16

that IS the skirt
i absolutely LOVE it

therootoftheroot Sat 22-Apr-17 14:10:58

i can't do double breasted -again for norky reasons
very matronly

BusterGonad Sat 22-Apr-17 14:11:21

Sorry Art I was just trying to help the Op out, I certainly didn't remember it. I just thought pop a picture on and the Op would have a better response.

pigeondujour Sat 22-Apr-17 14:13:05

Honestly, I would do yourself a favour and swerve it. It aged her terribly and it was en vogue at the time.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 22-Apr-17 14:20:42

TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE POUNDS and they can't be arsed to match the patterns at the seams???

and that is a double breasted jacket, I think if you have a splendid bosom you are going to look like a ship in full sail with that mahoosive collar and giant buttons.

Floisme Sat 22-Apr-17 14:25:35

Hobbs used to do a lot of jackets like that so I'd keep an eye on ebay - anything here?

Or you could tweak the look a bit, especially if you don't suit double breasted e.g. instead of the jacket, try a cropped cardi? Or very fitted tuxedo? (if the length works) or even look for a cream biker jacket if you can find a decent fake one ( I wouldn't want to splash out on cream leather). Admittedly I'm not sure how that would look with the hat but hopefully you get my drift - just play around with a few different shapes.

But if you want the whole look, why not? The film was over 20 years ago and anyway the 90s are back.

JaneJeffer Sat 22-Apr-17 14:26:28

Buster I don't know why you are apologising confused

BusterGonad Sat 22-Apr-17 14:28:33

Because I felt like my being helpful was anything but??? confused I read the original Op and didn't really know what she was after so I googled it and tried to be helpful! Jeez, I won't do that again! 😂

JaneJeffer Sat 22-Apr-17 14:29:24

grin can't do right for doing wrong

BusterGonad Sat 22-Apr-17 14:33:27

I do try Jane the biggest blow is I've wasted one of my picture quotas on it, that's gratitude for you. I loved Four weddings and a funeral, I had it on video and loved Hugh Grant at the time, I couldn't remember that bloody jacket! Oh well. grin

BreatheDeep Sat 22-Apr-17 15:13:09

I wouldn't do double-breasted for the large breasted. And I doubt you'll get a neckline similar to that (thank you for the useful picture Buster) without a double-breast. I think a simple blazer will look nicer. I'll go and have a look for some suggestions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: