Talk

Advanced search

I need a style overhaul

(3 Posts)
nostyleandnoclue Sat 22-Apr-17 12:14:02

I'm in a total style rut and need immediate intervention! I'm 30, 5'2 and size 12. I'm apple shaped so I have slim arms and legs but a sticky-out podgy belly.

I'm constantly going back and forth between styles. Ripped jeans, Converse, baggy t-shirts in mostly black (been a bit of a casual rock chick since I was 13 and clearly haven't evolved my style much) or a 40s-50s style with pretty dresses and red lipstick and even though I think this style looks great, I'm a self conscious person who feels like they stick out like a sore thumb.

Lately I've been wearing jeans with green or blue tops to get away from all the black (I'm a super pale redhead) and my trusty Converse but I feel very boring and frumpy.

I have a job which requires a casual style as it involves lots of heavy lifting and cleaning, so I'd look a bit odd and uncomfortable in fancy dresses and skirts. But I also need to stop dressing like a teenager.

Please help me dress for my height and body shape and look a bit more put together. Still casual for my lifestyle but maybe less of the trainers and ripped jeans smile

2014newme Sat 22-Apr-17 12:16:05

Go to the personal shopper at John Lewis. It's free, they are brilliant, you have your own massive changing room and they run out getting everything for you so you can try on a tonne of stuff in a short time. Book online. It's the only way I shop.

BusterGonad Sat 22-Apr-17 13:22:28

Could you get some nice shirts that are a bit floaty so you can move in them but are also a bit smarter than t shirts? Totally ditch baggy t shirts, they will make you look so much more bigger than you are. Try to stay away from boxy shapes and aim for tops that finish below your waist to help disguise your tummy. Get jeans that in are on the waist so they flatten your tummy. Invest in a nice pair of shoes rather than converse. If you're a bit of an apple than skater dresses are good as are a line skirts (1960s mini shape)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now