Talk

Advanced search

Hobbs or Whistles Tote?

(16 Posts)
Beaubeagle Sat 22-Apr-17 10:14:38

I'm in need of a large, practical everyday bag in a none black colour (for spring/summer). I love these two totes because they're a good size and mainly because they have a divider and pockets - I HATE one big compartment.

I've never bought either brand before so I'm note sure on quality etc. if anyone could comment?

Which of these two bags would you buy? Or any other suggestions before I make a decision? Thank you!

www.johnlewis.com/hobbs-richmond-leather-large-tote-bag-ochre/p3204281

www.whistles.com/women/bags/shoulder-bags-tote-bags/regent-soft-tote-23997.html

PaperdollCartoon Sat 22-Apr-17 10:17:13

I love the colour of the Hobbs one, and a good size. That would be my pick. Easier to keep clean than the white as well.

Greenvalleymama Sat 22-Apr-17 10:21:53

Both are great choices, I'd go for the Hobbs too for the reasons Paperdoll stated

fabulousathome Sat 22-Apr-17 11:29:39

Do you have strong shoulders? They both have pretty thin straps. Wider straps will be more comfortable. But they are both lovely bags.

LadyOfTheCanyon Sat 22-Apr-17 11:33:53

£195 for a tote??? There are people starving etc etc.
The yellow one is gorgeous. Just right for summer.

I just had a MiuMiu clutch bag delivered this morning so I'm feeling the bag love today! grin

ZaraW Sat 22-Apr-17 12:42:07

I have the Whistles bag in bright green got it last year in the sale at 50% off. It's really good quality. The Hobbs one is nice but I don't like the colour.

munchkinmaster Sat 22-Apr-17 12:44:17

Hobbs often have 20% off everything. I'm sure they did yesterday. Do not pay full price.

Floisme Sat 22-Apr-17 12:54:04

I wouldn't buy either. Seriously, my back and shoulders are shot and it's mainly down to years of lugging around totes and messenger bags.

fabulous is right about those tiny, thin straps. They're totally useless and trust me, not worth the future pain.

honeylou42 Sat 22-Apr-17 12:55:33

Sorry not much help here, I love them both grin

Beaubeagle Sat 22-Apr-17 13:06:54

Thank you for all the comments!

I do love both bags. The Hobbs also has a cross body strap which has swayed me more in that direction (plus Paper had a great point about keeping the bag clean). I've registered with the Hobbs website so have a 20% off code too :D

I think I may look at the Whistles one in black later in the year because it's a really nice bag.

Very jealous of your MiuMiu clutch Lady! I love handbags smile

AmateurSwami Sat 22-Apr-17 13:08:22

Love the ochre colour of the Hobbs one, I'd choose that. <lives vicariously>

IntelligentPutty Sat 22-Apr-17 13:35:01

Love love love the Hobbs one.

simmonsbythesea Sat 22-Apr-17 14:47:28

I was told by a Whistles sales assistant a while ago that the leather for their bags is the same as Mulberry use..whether they then ship it to China for some dodgy workshop assembly is another matter!

I find both brands to be good quality for the high street, but you definitely should not pay full price for either. Both stores do discounts, or there'll be a John Lewis or House of Fraser price match soon.

AnotheBloodyChinHair Sat 22-Apr-17 14:52:28

They are both bloody gorgeous
HTH

n0ne Sat 22-Apr-17 17:27:45

I am totally not a bag person but the Hobbs one is lovely

JDSTER Sat 22-Apr-17 18:39:13

I got a Hobbs tote years ago and it's still going strong. I do like whistles bags too but personally wouldn't buy such a pale colour as it'll get marked very easily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now