We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to wear on a night out - need a style intervention!

(7 Posts)
Violetcharlotte Sat 22-Apr-17 07:47:44

I've got a hen do to go to in a couple of weeks and the evening part is cocktails and a meal. It's nowhere posh, but I want to look nice and stylish without looking overdressed.

The problem I have is I don't go out much and have no idea what to wear! When I normally meet up with friends we go to someone's house so it's casual, jeans, jumper pyjamas, etc.

I'm 40, size 14 and go to the gym a lot so I'm in quite good shape. I don't like wearing anything that reveals cleavage, stomach or legs or v high heels.

What sort of thing should I wear to avoid looking like a middle aged frump or (worse!) mutton dressed as lamb?!

I need some help to avoid not looking like a

Montparnasse Sat 22-Apr-17 09:17:57

Watching with interest as I have this problem too - it's as if all my clothes are corporate or casual, nothing in between

missmoz Sat 22-Apr-17 09:27:16

What about a shirt dress tights and heeled ankle boots?

Or a short(ish) skirt, a black top, tights and block heels?

Cropped black jeans and a patterned top?

Mango, Finery, COS, are all good places if you're looking for something new.

Wear a nice coat or leather/suede jacket and you'll always look good.

missmoz Sat 22-Apr-17 09:28:37

Sorry if you don't like your legs a wrap mid skirt would look just as good

Asahai Sat 22-Apr-17 09:29:37

I had similar problem last summer for a hen & a jumpsuit & blazer was the answer here.
I just got a plain black bardot one thats quite comfortable but can be dressed up.
I just went with wedges & flats later in the night - I don't do heels at all these days!
Solved the covering tummy, legs & cleavage for me but bit of a pita going to the loo!

Violetcharlotte Sat 22-Apr-17 09:43:42

Montparnesse exactly!

I quite like the idea of a jumpsuit. I need to go and have a look round I think, I've been looking online but end up just ordering stuff and sending it back again hmm

Violetcharlotte Sat 22-Apr-17 10:29:28

Missmoz what's a wrap mid skirt? I'm so clueless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now