Talk

Advanced search

If your DC was graduating this summer what would you wear to the ceromony?

(27 Posts)
SparrowandNightingale Fri 21-Apr-17 21:22:47

Fingers crossed we will be off to our eldest's graduation this summer. I shall be the stupidly proud crying mother. DC is the first in the family to go to uni.
Would love some idea of what other people will be wearing and hopefully give me half a chance to not look daft.

Twinklyfaerieglade Fri 21-Apr-17 21:25:40

Oh good. In the same boat, no idea currently but looking for inspiration. Also, when I graduated millions of years ago, lots of mum's wore hats. What's the norm now?

Chasingsquirrels Fri 21-Apr-17 21:26:57

I'd just be in my jeans and a top. Is graduation a dressing up occasion?

1stDinkyDecker Fri 21-Apr-17 21:28:57

DD1 black skirt, blouse and long coat, it was November

DD2 Monsoon summer dress, June ceremony, boiling hot

Hassled Fri 21-Apr-17 21:29:02

When I went to DC1's graduation a few years ago the dress code seemed to be as per a wedding - so a nice frock and a hat. Imagine what you'd wear to the next wedding and wear that.

Crying is obligatory so don't worry on that score grin.

SparrowandNightingale Fri 21-Apr-17 21:30:06

Chasingsquirrels I have a feeling it might be a dressing up thing. Jeans, t-shirts and cardigans describes my entire wardrobe.

SparrowandNightingale Fri 21-Apr-17 21:36:38

Twinklyfaerieglade I am in equal parts terrified that he doesn't get the grade he wants and completely excited. Our ceremony is in July when's yours?

Chasingsquirrels Fri 21-Apr-17 21:39:41

Lol - when we told my children & parents we were getting married and were then discussing what my children would wear my ds2 (then 10) said "well we don't have to worry about what mum will wear - she will just be in her jeans". [I wasn't]

Laquila Fri 21-Apr-17 21:40:23

What uni? When I graduated (15 years ago, mind!!) my mum wore a lovely greyish linen skirt suit

getdressednow Fri 21-Apr-17 21:44:49

Summer frock, great shoes, no hat and a packet of tissues.

Laquila Fri 21-Apr-17 21:45:06

Sorry, hadn't finished - not dissimilar to this but slightly less weddingy-looking:

www.fennwrightmanson.com/m/coats_jackets_1/parma_jacket.htm

Lalsy Fri 21-Apr-17 21:45:46

I need advice too! My dd should graduate in July and I don't really do dressing up. I can manage linen trousers and nice top but quite fancy a dress, perhaps wth someone else's legs attached smile.

oldfatandtired1 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:48:06

Yes. Slightly dressed down wedding guest outfit. (You don't need the hat smile )

SparrowandNightingale Fri 21-Apr-17 21:48:18

Laquila a Russell group one would prefer not to say beyond that.

Any suggestions or links to something you would choose for yourself would be really appreciated. Fashion and looking well dressed are not my strong point.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 21-Apr-17 21:51:17

Maybe some unis are more formal than others. At Birmingham last year I wore a Great Plains dress with a blazer and heeled sandals (no hat). Don't remember seeing any hats and I didn't feel out of place. I think a 'wedding' look is mot necessary but maybe a slightly toned down version - more like a formal lunch I suppose.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 21-Apr-17 21:52:35

The jacket linked to above is nice.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 21-Apr-17 21:55:01

Only because i reminded myself aboug Great Plains this is not bad.

SheepyFun Fri 21-Apr-17 21:58:08

Clothes. Else they probably won't let you in wink

Twinklyfaerieglade Fri 21-Apr-17 22:01:35

Sparrow mines July too. I do like dressing up but since I finished work last Autumn it has been jeans and Bretons. Really looking forward to getting an outfit, but it has to be right or my son will be very vocal.
I even looked up the colour for the Hood he will wear. Stunned to find it is "crushed strawberry" . I kid you not, and he is studying English at a Russell group University.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Fri 21-Apr-17 22:03:38

Dd1 was at Bristol and there was a real mix of outfits. Nobody wore a hat! It was extremely hot so didn't wear what I'd planned and went much more casual- a sundress from Jigsaw. Dh wore jeans, nice shirt and a linen jacket.

This year dd1 is getting married this year and Dd2 is graduation and I'm fed up of looking for outfits. I can't find anything I like, and I'm getting rather stressed!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 21-Apr-17 22:06:32

Or this?

DoctorDoctor Fri 21-Apr-17 22:06:54

Don't see tons of hats, but the general level of a wedding outfit (slightly dressed down as oldfatand says) is about right. I'm at a non-Russell group university. Believe it or not, there isn't a massive difference! I don't tend to see people wearing jeans, with the possible exception of younger siblings. I wear a fairly formal day dress myself as it's an important occasion for my students and their families. It's one of the rare occasions on which my male colleagues wear ties.

SparrowandNightingale Fri 21-Apr-17 22:07:09

SheepyFun as I almost forgot to put my running tights on before stepping out today that is probably very good advice. It has been one of those days.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Fri 21-Apr-17 22:08:07

I will say there will be hundreds and have hundreds of people there so don't worry to much says me

dementedma Fri 21-Apr-17 22:09:06

DDS is in June.I will wear dress and jacket. No hat.
Dh will wear a suit or jacket and chinos, with shirt and tie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now