Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

blondes , what do you do about the grey ?

(12 Posts)
booksandtea Fri 21-Apr-17 18:18:23

I have blonde hair and i have just realised to my horror that it is starting to go grey .

It looks ok at the moment but when it becomes more grey , what are my best options then ? i have never dyed my hair ever so i am a bit clueless when it comes to colouring .

bingohandjob Fri 21-Apr-17 18:37:46

Few highlights in a T section - they blend in. Find a salon you trust and ask their advice.

Floisme Fri 21-Apr-17 19:00:25

I didn't do anything. I waited to see how it would turn out and I'm very glad I did as it's gone a silvery grey which I prefer to the mousy blonde it was before. If I'd reached for the dye straight away I'd never have known.

cheapskatemum Fri 21-Apr-17 19:25:06

I second Floisme. In addition to what she says, you save yourself a lot of time, hassle and money!

SlapperPJ Sat 22-Apr-17 10:45:14

1) Look (for a very short time) at the number of threads, Facebook pages, blogs and websites about how to ditch the dye/grow out skunklines/shaving heads to allow natural silvers to grow out/wish never started covering the grey.
2)Look at cost of colouring (both in terms of ££ and hair condition
3)Revisit above websites etc about the fact you can end up having to have your roots done ever 4 weeks or so.
4) Embrace the grey and be glad it is a current trend grin

SparrowandNightingale Sun 23-Apr-17 21:44:54

Can I ask how old you were when you started going grey and what colour it went? I'm mid 40's and a gold blonde and currently can't see any grey but guess there must be some in there . I don't know any other natural blondes so have no one to ask what to expect.

sniffle12 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:47:56

Oh dear I'm blonde and always hoped the grey wouldn't be visible when it happened...

Out of interest, is it a very obvious grey, as it is for darker hair, or is it lighter/more silvery?

Yika Sun 23-Apr-17 21:50:39

I'm a dark blonde. a few odd grey hairs started to appear from 40 - they didn't become noticeable to me until around 45 - and now at 50 have a noticeable amount. I'm currently doing a mix of highlights and lowlights mixed in with my natural colour (which I like and want to hold onto as long as possible) and some grey which still remains visible. My hairdresser keeps pushing me to do a natural colour treatment which will fade out and give a highlighted effect where the greys are but I'm not keen.

LadyMelbourne Mon 24-Apr-17 10:45:38

I'm fair and 42 and I stopped dying my hair 2yrs ago. I now use every now and again Kohn Frieda in shower hair colour which is left on for five minutes and very mild and also if it's looking a bit flat I'll use the John Frieda lightening spray. But maybe only four times a year or so.
I'm also happy to let the silver reign but my greys aren't very noticeable yet.

Notonyournellly Mon 24-Apr-17 13:49:42

I have a mix of blonde/brown highlights done a couple of times a year. I don't have them done to cover the grey, just to mix in so I still have the silver bits... I didn't want my hair to look lots younger than my face. I did let the colour all grow out a couple of years back to see how it looked - it was okay, didn't mind the grey itself, but the colour made me looked washed out and tired as I am quite sallow-skinned. This is how it looks now, two months after having the colour done.

booksandtea Mon 24-Apr-17 19:00:15

Yours looks nice notonyournelly , really shiny !
I'm 41 and the grey bits are quite minimal so far and a light silver . It was the texture of the hairs that made me notice really , they are more wiry and seem to fly away when i tie my hair back .
I don't want to be grey ! My hair is really long aswell , i should probably go shorter but i'm not all that ready to accept this aging malarky blush

bingohandjob Mon 24-Apr-17 19:31:32

I'm 43 - starting noticing silvery greys really from mid 30s. Have T section highlights for last decade - about £80 every two months, can leave it longer in summer and when hair longer as I can wear it up. I'm happy with this - can afford it, my hairdresser says my hair is in very good condition (Joico shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair is brilliant). I think I'll probably let the silver through in my mid 50s. I love going to the hairdresser though. I find it really relaxing - I don't really do any other spa/beauty treatment things and it makes me feel and look good. I always wear a hat on beach hols and use UV hair cream thing which seems to help. But could be a load of old baws.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: