Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

blondes , what do you do about the grey ?

(12 Posts)
booksandtea Fri 21-Apr-17 18:18:23

I have blonde hair and i have just realised to my horror that it is starting to go grey .

It looks ok at the moment but when it becomes more grey , what are my best options then ? i have never dyed my hair ever so i am a bit clueless when it comes to colouring .

bingohandjob Fri 21-Apr-17 18:37:46

Few highlights in a T section - they blend in. Find a salon you trust and ask their advice.

Floisme Fri 21-Apr-17 19:00:25

I didn't do anything. I waited to see how it would turn out and I'm very glad I did as it's gone a silvery grey which I prefer to the mousy blonde it was before. If I'd reached for the dye straight away I'd never have known.

cheapskatemum Fri 21-Apr-17 19:25:06

I second Floisme. In addition to what she says, you save yourself a lot of time, hassle and money!

SlapperPJ Sat 22-Apr-17 10:45:14

1) Look (for a very short time) at the number of threads, Facebook pages, blogs and websites about how to ditch the dye/grow out skunklines/shaving heads to allow natural silvers to grow out/wish never started covering the grey.
2)Look at cost of colouring (both in terms of ££ and hair condition
3)Revisit above websites etc about the fact you can end up having to have your roots done ever 4 weeks or so.
4) Embrace the grey and be glad it is a current trend grin

SparrowandNightingale Sun 23-Apr-17 21:44:54

Can I ask how old you were when you started going grey and what colour it went? I'm mid 40's and a gold blonde and currently can't see any grey but guess there must be some in there . I don't know any other natural blondes so have no one to ask what to expect.

sniffle12 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:47:56

Oh dear I'm blonde and always hoped the grey wouldn't be visible when it happened...

Out of interest, is it a very obvious grey, as it is for darker hair, or is it lighter/more silvery?

Yika Sun 23-Apr-17 21:50:39

I'm a dark blonde. a few odd grey hairs started to appear from 40 - they didn't become noticeable to me until around 45 - and now at 50 have a noticeable amount. I'm currently doing a mix of highlights and lowlights mixed in with my natural colour (which I like and want to hold onto as long as possible) and some grey which still remains visible. My hairdresser keeps pushing me to do a natural colour treatment which will fade out and give a highlighted effect where the greys are but I'm not keen.

LadyMelbourne Mon 24-Apr-17 10:45:38

I'm fair and 42 and I stopped dying my hair 2yrs ago. I now use every now and again Kohn Frieda in shower hair colour which is left on for five minutes and very mild and also if it's looking a bit flat I'll use the John Frieda lightening spray. But maybe only four times a year or so.
I'm also happy to let the silver reign but my greys aren't very noticeable yet.

Notonyournellly Mon 24-Apr-17 13:49:42

I have a mix of blonde/brown highlights done a couple of times a year. I don't have them done to cover the grey, just to mix in so I still have the silver bits... I didn't want my hair to look lots younger than my face. I did let the colour all grow out a couple of years back to see how it looked - it was okay, didn't mind the grey itself, but the colour made me looked washed out and tired as I am quite sallow-skinned. This is how it looks now, two months after having the colour done.

booksandtea Mon 24-Apr-17 19:00:15

Yours looks nice notonyournelly , really shiny !
I'm 41 and the grey bits are quite minimal so far and a light silver . It was the texture of the hairs that made me notice really , they are more wiry and seem to fly away when i tie my hair back .
I don't want to be grey ! My hair is really long aswell , i should probably go shorter but i'm not all that ready to accept this aging malarky blush

bingohandjob Mon 24-Apr-17 19:31:32

I'm 43 - starting noticing silvery greys really from mid 30s. Have T section highlights for last decade - about £80 every two months, can leave it longer in summer and when hair longer as I can wear it up. I'm happy with this - can afford it, my hairdresser says my hair is in very good condition (Joico shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair is brilliant). I think I'll probably let the silver through in my mid 50s. I love going to the hairdresser though. I find it really relaxing - I don't really do any other spa/beauty treatment things and it makes me feel and look good. I always wear a hat on beach hols and use UV hair cream thing which seems to help. But could be a load of old baws.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now