Talk

Advanced search

Paige / expensive jeans experts, please help me with fit

(21 Posts)
Scandicat Thu 20-Apr-17 22:28:53

Trying to keep this short. Basically, I've lost a lot of weight and want to buy myself some nice jeans. I've bought a pair of Paige jeans - they are the Rosie HW Astrid ones, so they are described as skinny fit but are supposed to be slightly looser. See pic.

They feel like they fit me really well everywhere apart from the waist - I can get my hand sideways down the back of the waistband. But they are perfect on my thighs and bum and I think they look really flattering. I've now ordered the next size down to try and I'm going to pick them up tomorrow, but I'm really confused. Some googling led me to the Donna Ida website, which suggests sizing down and that jeans will give from body heat after a couple of hours. But these are already several sizes smaller than I would have expected to wear.

If you have Paige jeans, do you think they stretched out after you'd worn them a while? They are the most expensive jeans I've ever considered buying, so I'd be gutted if I kept them and then they turned out to be too big. Equally, though, don't want to buy slightly small and then never really be able to wear them. They really are perfect everywhere apart from the waist, and even then, I've got a flabby post 2 c-section stomach and I'm over 40 so I don't want them really tight and to feel self-conscious. If it helps, I'm also 5 foot 2 and hourglassy (waist 10 inches smaller than hips). Any advice would be really appreciated!

kittyhello Thu 20-Apr-17 23:32:57

Sadly I don't own any Paige jeans yet, but if you copy and paste your post onto the latest MNVogue thread, quite a few of the ladies on there own Paige jeans and may be able to help.

Kahu Fri 21-Apr-17 06:12:03

I get this a lot with jeans. When I really love the fit everywhere else but the waist is just a bit loose I often just buy them and take them to the tailor to get the waistband adjusted. It's not worth doing for a cheaper pair of jeans but for a good quality otherwise "perfect" pair, I don't mind paying that little bit extra to get the right fit.

A tailor (who alters suits etc) will be able to take in waist so you won't even notice the alteration.

faustina Fri 21-Apr-17 07:05:39

Paige jeans are usually really huge and you have to size down, but how much varies between styles and also the denim used. If it were me I'd google the style and see what others have said. I'm not sure if they have reviews on the Paige website, but there was a US site which I found really useful as they had loads of comments on the sizing and how the jeans behaved

Hope that helps!

faustina Fri 21-Apr-17 07:06:44

.... if I remember the site I'll link to it, but it should show up if you google reviews followed by the particular jeans and colour

Scandicat Fri 21-Apr-17 07:10:54

Thank you. Yes, they definitely come up huge. I'll google and see if I can find any info about how much they might give.

A tailor would be really useful in general I think, so I ought to find one.

Cakescakescakes Fri 21-Apr-17 08:30:35

I often get jeans altered at the waist as my waist is much smaller than my hips. Works a treat.

Cakescakescakes Fri 21-Apr-17 08:30:54

Never paid more than a tenner for it and it makes them fit like a glove.

QueenJulian Fri 21-Apr-17 08:35:00

Paige jeans don't really stretch out in my experience, they keep their shape very well.

DavetheCat2001 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:39:11

I have a pair of Paige Skyline straight fit jeans and in my opinion they come up small.

I bought a size 27 and whilst they fit amazingly round the bum/thighs, certain days of the month/after a bit too much pie, they are really snug round the waist.

They are really nice though and the colour of mine is amazing, haven't been able to find a similar indigo coloured jean elsewhere. They are £££ though.

starsinyourpies Fri 21-Apr-17 10:41:30

Where do you live? If you can get into London I would go to Trilogy, they are total experts and you'll get the best jeans ever (sadly all v.pricey!) they may be able to advise over the phone?

https://www.trilogystores.co.uk

MassDebate Fri 21-Apr-17 13:46:42

I've got, at last count, 9 pairs of Paige jeans so I like to think that makes me an expert wink - I love them and will never buy another brand again! I find the fit varies depending on the style but for most I find they come up pretty much bang on size or slightly on the roomy side. Admittedly I don't have the ones pictured but every style I have gives with wear so if you're on the cusp of two sizes I'd definitely size down.

libertydoddle Fri 21-Apr-17 14:03:54

Can you get to somewhere like Selfridges Denim bar? I have Paige High Rise Hoxton jeans in a 29 and am generally 30/31 in jeans. I bought them after trying on loads at Selfridges and the person helping me was trying to encourage me to get a 28 but I think that would have been way too small. They have 'eased' in fit since I bought them but the waist hasn't changed but that could be due to the high rise fit.

I think you might need to try on a few different brands and fits as it is a lot of money to spend on a pair that are less than perfect.

Scandicat Fri 21-Apr-17 18:01:48

Thanks for all the advice. I did go to the Selfridges Denim bar, actually. I picked up the size down and tried them on, and they are perfect. Really love them and glad I made the effort to try the smaller size. I think I knew in my heart the others were too big, but when you've lost weight, its hard to see what you really look like.

MassDebate - I totally see where you are coming from, I thought all the Paige jeans I saw were lovely and will definitely be investing in more.
I also tried on a pair of the Hoxtons, Liberty - they are gorgeous but I need to save up, two pairs at once would have been bankrupting!

For future reference, the Hoxtons were 2 sizes bigger than the Astrid ones I bought, but they didn't have the next size down (25), which i think would have fitted me. And I tried Jimmy Jimmy ones and they were also a 25. In Asos/Gap jeans, I'm a size 10, so Paige do seem to come up big. Either way, though, it feels like some kind of freakish miracle, I was buying a generous size 14 in fatface jeans in November.

Mimilondon39 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:58:13

I love Paige jeans they are so soft, also heard good things about J Brand for hourglass as well as James and Donna Ida. Scandicat - well done for getting into shape! Did you do the blood sugar diet? Need some inspiration - beach holiday in just over month!

MassDebate Sat 22-Apr-17 07:49:45

You may be interested to hear that they sometimes (rarely but it happens) have Paige jeans in tkmaxx. I bought my last 2 pairs there after happening across them. They were about £60 each!

whirlygirly Sat 22-Apr-17 08:29:27

We were staying in Kensington last year - on impulse I popped into a charity shop and picked up 2 brand new pairs of Paige jeans for under £20. Result. grin

Scandicat Sat 22-Apr-17 13:52:49

Jealous of the bargains.

Mimi - yes, blood sugar diet. It has been brilliant and far easier than I would have expected.

theredjellybean Sat 22-Apr-17 14:40:41

well done with weight loss...can i ask some jeans help, i lost lots of wiehgt 4-5 yrs ago and have similar perception problems...smile
i need some new jeans, want very dark indigo and straight maybe skinny ??? and high waisted, as problem i have found with getting smaller sizes is still get a bit of muffin top , if you get perfect flat on waist fit then by lunchtime am hoiking them up ?
any good brands you ladies can suggest, have a generous budget...

CountFosco Sat 22-Apr-17 14:45:03

OP, since you are short it's worth looking at petite brands. I'm the same height as you and still losing weight so ordered 5 different brands of petite jeans from ASOS and for the first time ever I got a whole set of trousers that actually fitted at the waist and came in at the back like they should. It's been a revelation!

whataboutbob Sat 22-Apr-17 17:31:41

I love Paige and find they don't really give that much, I'm a 29 waist and for me they are true to size. Darn, I've even daydreamed about flying to new York just to visit the Paige shop. I have 3 pairs at present.
Second to Paige for me are Comptoir des Cotonniers jeans- worth a look, redjelly bean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now