I still Joules mumsy?

(27 Posts)
parmavioletmartini Thu 20-Apr-17 18:09:26

Aka frumpy?
I'm a quite a young mum and yet to figure out my post baby body style. I had not even entered a joules store before babies.

Is it desperately uncool and going to make me look fat grumpy and middle aged before my time?

Have bought two of the harbour Breton tops. Which feels quite classic. But I'm so unsure about the rest.

Euphemia Thu 20-Apr-17 18:13:48

I love those tops, but I hate the stuff that mixes stripes with flowers. It's too much like Per Una!

I like their raincoats. I have this yellow one and it cheers me up on a dull day. grin

parmavioletmartini Thu 20-Apr-17 18:32:12

I know what you mean euphemia I'm not keen on the florals too cath kidston, not keen on anything that looks twie.

The yellow rain jacket is great, seems to be the jacket of the season where I live. I have seen loads!

Oogle Thu 20-Apr-17 20:53:26

I have their Breton tops but I haven't ventured into trying anything else despite being in my 30s. I don't feel middle class enough, I think grin

sonyaya Thu 20-Apr-17 20:55:41

I love it! But it is hit and miss - the fit of some of their dresses is awful. I've never thought of it as mumsy.

User2468 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:58:59

It can be hit and miss, I like their loose fit jumpers and shirts because they're really long and I'm tall. If you like it, buy it.

Shenanagins Thu 20-Apr-17 21:00:59

It's an approach with caution. Somethings are definitely mumsy and others are ok.

Olivialoves Thu 20-Apr-17 21:05:23

I love their Harbour tops... I counted them the other day... I have 19!!
they are so versatile, good for work with chinos, or with a funky necklace, lunch with friends.
I have their 3 in 1 jacket, 3 years old this year, it's still like new. Their current one has a fleece inner, but the one I've got is a quilted jacket.
I like their blazers, but only in the sale...!

reuset Thu 20-Apr-17 21:10:16

The knitwear is very poor, I've found. The quality of the clothes is a bit off too, lots of shapeless jersey dresses. Not even twee, just plain dowdy, wishy washy prints.

bionicant Thu 20-Apr-17 21:11:39

if you wear head to toe it can be twee but some stuff is pretty good, have a really nice tweed skirt that I love from there and some nice sandals and wellies.

agree with the knitwear not being great, mine are really bobbly

reuset Thu 20-Apr-17 21:14:13

I forgot I had wellies from Joules. Not all bad then grin

theaveragewife Thu 20-Apr-17 21:14:50

Fat, grumpy and middle aged? shock because of your clothing??? And are they inevitabilities?

Some Joules and some Boden are good, but probably wouldn't dress myself all in one or the other - mix with other stuff like boyfriend jeans.

ArriettyClock1 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:16:27

If you're young - steer clear. It's for women in their 40s and 50s who think a jolly lining in their gilet is fashion forward.

bionicant Thu 20-Apr-17 21:29:00

well no that's just crap

pick and choose what you like there is good and bad like most shops

WipsGlitter Thu 20-Apr-17 21:31:32

I have a fantastic work dress from there. They've never made anything similar unfortunately. I've a few jumpers but the quality is variable.

PollyPerky Thu 20-Apr-17 21:39:55

Hey watch what you're saying about older women! I'm that age (in fact over 60) and despair every time I go there. It's shapeless, frumpy , same old same old, pricey ...can't find a good thing to say.

BrassicaBabe Thu 20-Apr-17 21:43:38

gringrin@"ArriettyClock1" and I'm in your bracket. I'm giving away that one fecking gillet right now. I never was sure it looked right!

BrassicaBabe Thu 20-Apr-17 21:44:14

Twonk bold fail too!

ninjapants Thu 20-Apr-17 21:44:43

I love Joules clothes. I know people of all ages who wear Joules. As others say, buy what you like and don't worry about image too much. No one really cares what you wear but you.

ninjapants Thu 20-Apr-17 21:46:48

Oh and I'm not fat or middle aged (getting there though) but I am grumpy sometimes grin

user1492692527 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:47:13

Used to love their polo shirts, but really don't like the styles they are producing them in now.

leccybill Thu 20-Apr-17 21:47:27

I've just bought thesecrepe trousers from their clearance section for £15 and they are lovely, so comfy. Nice with a plain white tshirt.

CointreauVersial Thu 20-Apr-17 21:49:12

There are some nice bits in Joules, but it's a bit much top-to-toe. Too gaudy/yachty/jolly-hockey-sticks.

You can't go wrong with a good quality Breton, though.

Acornantics Thu 20-Apr-17 21:49:18

I have a beautiful grey tweed blazer with floral lining that is so stunningly detailed and finished, it's truly lovely. In the sale it was an absolute bargain.

I wear it with jeans and Converse or boots, over a plain round neck tshirt.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Thu 20-Apr-17 21:50:27

It's very recognisable and that puts me off. In some areas / circles the Joules jeans, gillet, boots and scarf, together with a blondish bob with highlights, is practically an uniform.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now