Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Acid Peels....advice please?

(18 Posts)
Steinbeck Thu 20-Apr-17 12:58:01

I've been reading about facial acid peels but there seem to be so many choices! I'm looking for some advice please.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in advane.

Steinbeck Thu 20-Apr-17 12:58:57

* advance

Steinbeck Thu 20-Apr-17 18:38:45

Bump smile

Steinbeck Fri 21-Apr-17 19:51:14

I guess there aren't any 'pealers' around then!!wink

CrazyDuchess Fri 21-Apr-17 19:54:44

Following as I've just dipped my toe into the world of acids! So started with the nip + tuck nighttime pads and I must admit I am feeling a real difference in my skin and the horrible stubborn dry patches are disappearing slowly

NomDePlumeReloaded Fri 21-Apr-17 20:02:09

I like lactic acid, personally, as I have quite sensitive skin. Glycolic (another AHA) is a bit harsh and gives me little red bumps. I use The Ordinary 10% Lactic Acid nightly as a serum (I layer it with other stuff), it leaves my skin clearer, softer and generally 'brighter'. If you are new to acids and want to try lactic, I'd go with the 5% version from The Ordinary and use it a couple of times a week and build up from there if your skin is happy.

Remember to always use a sunscreen when using acids though as you are more prone to sun damage.

CrazyDuchess Fri 21-Apr-17 20:05:09

Do "peels" mean peel off or it makes your skin peel and flake?

NomDePlumeReloaded Fri 21-Apr-17 20:08:44

You can buy stronger weekly/monthly acid 'peels' but I haven't used them. I find daily, gentle chemical exfoliation is plenty for my skin.

DontAskIDontKnow Fri 21-Apr-17 20:09:51

This might seem strange, but I use Apple cider vinegar.

I use an 50% dilution a couple of times a week. I also wash my face with Himalayan bath salts on the nights I don't use the vinegar. I'm a bit like a chip shop, but my acne scars are disappearing.

It's about £10 for a bottle of organic vinegar. It lasts ages and can be used in cooking.

It's amazing how effective the bath salts are on minimising pores.

NomDePlumeReloaded Fri 21-Apr-17 20:11:24

'Peel' tends to just mean it takes off the layers of dead cells on the skin. You don't peel them off and your face doesn't peel off in sheets either (unless something has gone very wrong!).

CrazyDuchess Fri 21-Apr-17 20:12:30

Haha okay cool thanks!

CrazyDuchess Fri 21-Apr-17 20:12:52

I was imagining footner for the face blush

Couldashouldawoulda Fri 21-Apr-17 20:18:00

Bravura London is a decent place to start - there's plenty of info on their website about the different types of peel. It'll depend on your skin type what you need. I've had stuff from them before and liked it.

Steinbeck Fri 21-Apr-17 21:30:48

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely take a look

CrazyDuchess, I've been using the Nip n Fab pads and the serums and do feel like they've benefitted my skin

CrazyDuchess Fri 21-Apr-17 21:33:14

Ooohhh yes my next step is the serum

SchnauzerLife Fri 21-Apr-17 21:50:43

I love reading Caroline Hirons blog, she breaks down the acid types and when / how to use them if you want to give it a read:
www.carolinehirons.com

Hulder Sat 22-Apr-17 08:55:33

Nothing actually 'peels' doing a home peel - it's a bit disappointing.

Basically if you have oily skin, spots, blackheads or sebaceous filaments you want salicylic acid. It's the only one that is oil soluble and really gets down and clears everything out - amazing for preventing spots and eliminating blocked pores.

If you have dry skin you want glycolic acid.

If you have sensitive skin that gets annoyed with glycolic, you want lactic.

There are now newer ones called PHAs which are supposed to be better than glycolic.

I used to use stuff from www.sr-skincare.co.uk and my skin did look lovely then have since got lazy

Steinbeck Sat 22-Apr-17 15:43:46

Thanks again everyone....some useful tips! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now