Talk

Advanced search

Trainers without socks?

(23 Posts)
junglebookisthebest Wed 19-Apr-17 14:48:10

How do you keep your feet/trainers from being minging?
I usually keep boots for as long as possible then do a switch to sandals but fancy some trainers this year. Have been looking and majority seem to look best with no socks and i want to emulate this look.
How can i achieve it and not have to throw the trainers away after a few weeks - trainer socks are visible and have had bad experiences with insoles in the past sliding around?
Is there something like a stylish but machine washable trainer type of shoe?

BusterGonad Wed 19-Apr-17 17:52:57

I don't think it's possible to not get them stinky without socks! I wear tiny trainer socks, I've washed trainers in the past and it's not great. Btw I don't have really stinky feet either! grin

imjessie Wed 19-Apr-17 17:57:36

Primark do super low trainer socks that you can't see . They are perfect for the summer !

stripeknee Wed 19-Apr-17 18:10:09

primark sell a lot of shoe liner/invisible socks
there is always loads when i go in, colourful or plain normal sock material then there are some from the activewear/workout range available in black or white 5 pairs for 3.50 which i find last longer and work well with trainers

The Falke trainer socks are brilliant. Not cheap, but the only ones I've found that don't slip around. You can see them, but only a tiny bit. Stay away from the dreadful M&S ones!

hippadoppaloppagorillapig Wed 19-Apr-17 18:17:15

I wear the invisible socks / shoe liners with everything! Primark's are really good as they have a gummy strip on the back so they don't ping off your feet.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 19-Apr-17 18:18:20

Actually though, I've got some M&S trainer liners on now which shrank a bit so they don't show.

My M&S ones seem to get holes the minute I put them on. I went out in an almost new pair today and both had holes in by the time I got home - and, yes, I DO cut my toenails! grin

Unicorn81 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:35:44

Odor eater foot an shoe spray, bodycare sell it for a few quid

ilovecherries Wed 19-Apr-17 19:58:16

I have never managed to find trainer socks that don't end up bunched under my foot within about two minutes. I've tried everything from Falke to Primark and everything in between. I don't know if it's because at an 8 I'm on the upper limit of their sizing, but I find them hideously uncomfortable and a massive con. I may have issues about how much I've spent looking for the holy grail of liner socks. angry

purplehonesty Wed 19-Apr-17 20:00:39

I get nude socks from Asda - can't think what they are called but the lot just cover your toe area and your heel.
They are stretchy and have a bit of 'sticky' type stuff at the back of your heel

onemumtwocountries Wed 19-Apr-17 20:01:01

I wear trainers without socks! I just wash them quite often - they go in the washing machine. Am I weird?!

I also have a pair of summer trainers with vents/netted parts which are designed to be worn without socks, they're lovely and comfy.

ArriettyClock1 Wed 19-Apr-17 20:04:22

I wear the M&S ones - they have rubber bits to keep them on.

DS has Vans socks for when he's wearing, er, Vans.

He polluted his last pair by wearing them without socks. We washed them, but the stink lingered a bit and they went in the bin.

BestIsWest Wed 19-Apr-17 21:05:53

cherries I've found the same, I'm an 8 too. If ever I find any I'll let you know.

Tantpoke Wed 19-Apr-17 21:11:23

Sketchers do brilliant trainer socks with a grippy soft rubber bit on the heel to keep them on. They don't show at all so perfect for the no sock look.

A1Sharon Wed 19-Apr-17 21:14:31

I read this tip on here once and it really works. I wear Mckenzie trainer liners, but if my runners are stinky I wash them-either in sink or machine. Put them in plastic bag. Put in freezer for 24hrs-kills all the stink making bacteria. Dry them out. Sprinkle some bicarb powder in.
Smell free for months!

Tantpoke Wed 19-Apr-17 21:18:27

As I cant seem to find them online here's a lovely photo of my foot wearing one. I know they still sell them in sketchers shops because I saw them last week.

Tantpoke Wed 19-Apr-17 21:22:44

And this is what the rubbery part looks like, that works, and doesn't come off when you wash them.

dudsville Wed 19-Apr-17 21:24:55

GAP do a fabulous sick at the moment with a grip in the heel to help it stay in place. 100% cotton minus the grip strips and quite cheap.

Orangesox Wed 19-Apr-17 21:33:06

Ladies who are an 8 or above.... men's trainer socks! I find the men's 6-8.5 are perfect, more often than not come in normal colours as well!

bingohandjob Wed 19-Apr-17 21:35:15

Merino is the best for non-stinky feet: you can actually wear them for a few days if travelling. I didn't quite believe it, but walked for hours and hours in heat last summer holiday in Germany and it's true....super comfy, not sweaty, not stinky. Icebreaker, Smartwool, Darn Tough "no show" style are the best - expensive but great quality and long lasting e.g. uk.icebreaker.com/en/womens-socks

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 19-Apr-17 22:07:31

I like the John Lewis trainer liners. They do show a little bit, but I think it looks okay - I wear black ones with black or metallic trainers and pale grey with my white Stan Smiths. They don't slip at all. I find the really tiny ones which are probably designed for with pumps don't show at all, but then my feet get sore where the trainer laces are, especially if it's warm.

junglebookisthebest Thu 20-Apr-17 08:40:24

Thanks - might try some different socks. Like the look of the merino's but at that price I might try the others first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now