Talk

Advanced search

I'm going back in time and getting myself a permanent wave!

(120 Posts)
TWOBANANAS Wed 19-Apr-17 07:13:42

Booked it and going for it. My hair looks shit poker straight so I'm going curly! Hoping to look fabulous and bouncy rather than Charlene from Neighbours but I'm very excited all the same!

sallievp Wed 19-Apr-17 08:14:17

Please post a pic!!! My hair is very straight and i am considering a perm! Good lucksmile

sooperdooper Wed 19-Apr-17 08:27:12

Please do us a before & after pics, I'd love a perm!!

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 19-Apr-17 09:02:07

How exciting smile, pics please.

I'm sure HoneyDragon had a perm a few years ago. That may have been in a dream I had though grin.

When is the event taking place?

tinselknickers Wed 19-Apr-17 10:14:21

Good for you ⭐️

I've been growing mine for a few months now ready to perm. It was acceptable in the 80s (song ref for the older mners)

Easiest hair ever to manage - up, down, styled, fluffed. Just don't brush it, use a wide toothed comb.

MadisonAvenue Wed 19-Apr-17 10:22:17

Can we see a picture afterwards?

It's something that's crossed my mind. I've grown out a pixie cut over the last year and now have a straight shoulder length bob, I keep thinking I'd like it to be wavy but don't have the patience to use curly wands or wavers.

I keep having flashbacks to nightmare 80s perms though and my bitchy sister in law laughing and calling me Crystal Tips confused

wobblywonderwoman Wed 19-Apr-17 10:24:34

Thinking about this too.. Hope it goes well for you

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Wed 19-Apr-17 10:26:33

Would love to see a picture. Been thinking about this for a while, scared of ending up with tight curls though.

CarlottosWay Wed 19-Apr-17 10:31:30

OP, you have just had me googling pics. I want one nowsmile

user1492232552 Wed 19-Apr-17 10:35:13

Top tips from a natural curly. Throw away your shampoo just rinse it with a lightweight condition. Olaplex treatments once a week. Christ sake don't brush it and use gel when it's wet then scrunch it out when dry (about 7 hours later for me), but beautiful shiny ringlets are the result.

GinSwigmore Wed 19-Apr-17 10:42:30

honeydragon did indeed. Hers was nice. So I did mine. It was SHOCKING. I had to have a pixie to get rid of it all.
It was first an affro, I looked like I was trying to do a Rachel Dolezal. So I let it grow out for a bit and I ended up looking like the lovechild of Jay from Strictly pre haircut and a King Charles Spaniel.
The rollers were clearly too small and the lotion was left on too long. £80 down the drain.
You live and learn. I wanted beach curls/tousled waves. I did indeed get Charlene from Neighbours mixed with Nicole Kidman BMX Bandits era. Good luck!

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 19-Apr-17 10:48:54

So it wasn't a dream grin

Mines too fine but I'd love curly hair.

SailAwayWithMeHoney Wed 19-Apr-17 10:49:04

Love a good perm!
I had mine done three or four years ago, it's all grown out and is a straight bob now but I do so love a perm! I agree with the "don't brush it" advice above. I invested in a good curl defining mousse and scrunched it In while my hair was wet

speedynamechange73 Wed 19-Apr-17 10:50:15

I've seen a number of perms recently, having not seen a single one for about a decade (except on older people perhaps)

Whiterabbitears Wed 19-Apr-17 11:45:40

I want a perm! A lot of hairdressers don't offer them anymore in my area. My hair is quite long and reasonably thick so I think it might work. I want ringlet style ones but as I don't see perms on anyone now I'm not sure how it would look.

ZilphasHatpin Wed 19-Apr-17 11:52:52

Ooh I would love a perm with large curls something like this but I have absolutely no faith in any hairdresser to deliver exactly what I want. And perms are just far too risky to not be sure about.

Can't wait to see pics OP!

TWOBANANAS Thu 20-Apr-17 06:51:27

I will post before and after pics today!

Fairybella Thu 20-Apr-17 06:57:40

Can't wait to c

anyadviceplease78 Thu 20-Apr-17 07:07:26

Place marking for pic - i have straight hair and have been thinking about this for a while

sandgrown Thu 20-Apr-17 07:14:11

Had my hair permed last year and love it. It was too tight at first but soon grew out a bit. I agree with no brushing, lots of curl product and dry naturally if possible but I love the extra body. I bumped into ex-DH last night and he kept staring at me. I guess he was remembering the curly perm I had when we met in the seventies!

Rockchick1984 Thu 20-Apr-17 07:19:18

Can't wait to see the result!

The posters who are saying not to brush - doesn't your hair get horribly tangled???

Imaginingdragonsagain Thu 20-Apr-17 07:22:51

Looking forward to seeing pics!

picklemepopcorn Thu 20-Apr-17 08:22:34

You use a wide tooth comb when it's wet, rock chick.

I couldn't go back to a perm, I need a good scrape with a brush every day. Can't stand the unbrushed scalp feeling!

Ohb0llocks Thu 20-Apr-17 08:35:17

Excited to see how it turns out. The only perms I've ever done have been,'for want of a better word, the 'granny' perms! Seems to be the only clientele for it round here!

anastasia38494032010 Thu 20-Apr-17 08:39:37

Excited to see how it turns out as well! Thinking about that too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now