Talk

Advanced search

Pick me a business outfit!

(11 Posts)
RainbowsAndLemonDrops Tue 18-Apr-17 16:43:20

I have a very important work meeting next week which I'm really nervous about. I don't really have big meetings like this and it could be really good for the business. Im all prepared work wise but have absolutely nothing to wear - well I do, but it's all basic office wear that I wear each day, I haven't had anything new in ages!

I want to look simple but very smart, I'm 5'2 34FF and a size 10/12. I like things fitted otherwise I look fat. I have a large handbag already which is smart and fits a lot in so I'll be wearing that with the outfit. I love women's suits but not sure if I'd end up making myself look old!

I have absolutely no clue where to begin! Show me what you'd style me in grin

twostepsister Tue 18-Apr-17 18:53:28

Navy and white looks very professional and this is a great fitted dress from Phase 8
www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-edeba-textured-dress-navy-ivory/p3137962#media-overlay_show
worn with this textured jacket
www.johnlewis.com/betty-barclay-short-textured-zip-jacket-dark-blue-cream/p3201217
shoes
www.clarks.co.uk/c/Kelda-Hope/p/26123548
or
www.johnlewis.com/l-k-bennett-florete-pointed-toe-court-shoes/p959202?colour=Navy

millifiori Tue 18-Apr-17 19:05:02

How about this jacket? Great cut, colour, quality and fantastic price.

With these 7/8trousers, which would probably be just the right length for your height.

I'd add a silk shell top, in a colour that really works with your complexion, and heels.

millifiori Tue 18-Apr-17 19:05:31

I love that jacket twostep linked to.

RainbowsAndLemonDrops Tue 18-Apr-17 20:37:46

Absolutely love the jacket twostep I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for, for work but definitely out of work! Thank you

milli that jacket is definitely the type I'm after, I'm trying to click the link to the trousers but it's coming up with the jacket again. Maybe I'm being thick.

millifiori Tue 18-Apr-17 23:12:55

Think it was my mistake. Try this link instead.

tethersend Tue 18-Apr-17 23:38:01

Would a pinstripe dress work?

Twinklyfaerieglade Tue 18-Apr-17 23:50:49

Hi. Don't know how old you are, or your industry, so advice is a bit generic.
Had a hugely senior job. 5'2' and a bit of chocolate box face so my clothes really had to work for me.
Not sure of your budget, but if this meeting could end up in mega commission or a promotion please see your outfit as an investment in future income.
Buy something that fits and looks like you are already successful. In important meetings men wear suits mostly. Follow their lead, but you want to be noticed. Colourful tailored dress and dark fitted jacket or vice versa.
you fit in and stand out x

Brillenbar Wed 19-Apr-17 06:44:38

If you want to get an investment dress absolute best place imho is the fold thefoldlondon.com/product-category/the-fold-icons/ I have the Arlington dress in navy jersey it is stunning and also great for travel. I also have the Eaton ( in 2 colours...). What is great about these dresses is that they are very smart and formal, no inappropriate cleavage on show etc, but they are also interesting

twostepsister Wed 19-Apr-17 10:12:11

Those dresses are divine Brillenbar

Floisme Wed 19-Apr-17 10:37:40

I feel I need to know a bit more how you want to come across: Sharp and quick thinking? Creative? A safe pair of hands? Approachable and emphathetic? If you can say what sector you work in that would help.

For reasons best known to themselves, The Fold keep sending me their catalogues. If you're in that market (which I am not) I can confirm that they tread the line between formal and interesting very well, although I've not seen any of them in real life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now