Talk

Advanced search

How 'thin' for fashion

(55 Posts)
MorelloKisses Tue 18-Apr-17 15:05:23

Wondering how thin is thin (bear with me!)

On the Expensive thread there is reference to thin people looking fab in jeans and trainers, I recently came across reverence to Ines de la Fressance being less than BMI 18 (!!) etc

Now I know poeple vary in build and how they carry weight, but realistically, what ballpark of 'thin' do we need to be to look good in the majority of clothes.

For what it is worth, I'm 5ft 6, extreme pear shaped, BMI 21.6 and although I look reasonably good, i think my legs and arse look big in trousers.

PickAChew Tue 18-Apr-17 15:07:36

Do you genuinely aspire to be underweight?

Botanicbaby Tue 18-Apr-17 15:09:00

Who says you need to be 'thin' to look good? How about looking healthy?

MorelloKisses Tue 18-Apr-17 15:12:00

Oh god no ( to the underweight comment) I was horrified when I read her weight/height.

And I don't particularly think you can only look good thin. I was just repeating the comments on the expensive thread where thin was mentioned.

It's just idle thoughts, being slim tends to be a theme on the expensive/classy/groomed threads. No need to jump down my throat

UppityHumpty Tue 18-Apr-17 15:13:25

Generally, in my opinion, women between the sizes of 0-8 who are also over 5 ft 6. Taller women can get away with being larger. I personally don't really notice or role model women shorter than me appearance wise so can't comment there.

MorelloKisses Tue 18-Apr-17 15:17:13

Uppity , do you mean that size 0-8 on taller women is too thin....

I think that is how I read your post

whifflesqueak Tue 18-Apr-17 15:17:50

bmi is so weird. apparently mine is 17.5 but I don't feel underweight.

I just don't think it's a good measure.

Lucked Tue 18-Apr-17 15:25:09

There are various formulas for ideal weight, these can be off if you are muscular but for me they suggest 146-151 which is BMI of which is a lowest BMI if 20.9. I have to say looking back at photos that is when I looked best even though I have been thinner.

I think Ines de Fressance looks too thin and I say that as a fan who has her books etc

Botanicbaby Tue 18-Apr-17 15:25:43

'Being slim tends to be a theme' - only when it's perpetuated.

UppityHumpty Tue 18-Apr-17 15:30:31

Clumsy wording sorry - I meant 0-8 can look expensive (in a supermodel way) on women who are around 5 ft 6 but that taller women can be bigger and still look expensive.

MorelloKisses Tue 18-Apr-17 15:32:51

Ideal weight is also twisting my melon today.

I understand the limitations for the formulas, particularly for poeple at the top and bottom end of the height norms, but what fascinates me it the seemingly contradication between ideal weight and vintage vs vanity sizing.

So my ideal weight is (by the calculations) 132-137 lb, which is a shade lighter than I am (by a couple of pounds only)- fair enough. But vintage sizes would put me in at least a size 14...

I know I might be a couple of inches taller than the average 1950s woman, but even so...

MorelloKisses Tue 18-Apr-17 15:34:06

Oh, actually my ideal weight is bang in the middle of that suggestion.

Anyway, my point still stands

thedevilinablackdress Tue 18-Apr-17 16:18:35

No, I don't think you need to be thin to look good or stylish. You need nice clothes that fit you and that you feel good in.

UppityHumpty Tue 18-Apr-17 16:34:33

Vintage sizing isn't a great benchmark though because different decades had different preferred shapes. For example even when I was a size 16 I could still wear a forties size 12-14 vintage clothing without even trying it on, because my figure (hippy with tiny waist) was in fashion then. I now find most thirties/forties/fifties stuff too big but can't wear e60s/70s sizes because they aren't geared for my figure.

crunched Tue 18-Apr-17 16:37:48

Think age plays a big part in what looks 'too thin'.

rightknockered Tue 18-Apr-17 16:44:10

As you age, being thin can look cheap, unless dressed very carefully.
I was very very thin when younger, like size 6 - 8 in the 90's. I'm now around a size 10, which look far better at my age - 40's.
Looking healthy and strong, with rosy cheeks and glowy skin looks much better than a grey complexion.

Birdsbeesandtrees Tue 18-Apr-17 16:55:43

Well I'm very slim - I wear a size 4. There are still many styles I cannot wear because I look swamped in them.

It's not all good I promise you.

Mumsnut Tue 18-Apr-17 17:50:23

As you age, being thin can also = looking older than you are

BusterGonad Tue 18-Apr-17 18:29:19

I'm 5'9 and as a size 12 I look and feel great, size 14 I look ok and a 16 I feel (may not look) fat. When I'm a 12 I have a spring in my step and feel great. I don't care if others think I look fat as I feel good.

Medeci Tue 18-Apr-17 18:29:39

Agree that thin isn't always a good look as you get older.
I've always been around 8st (5ft 7) and now starting to look bit gaunt. As if I've lost weight but I haven't.
So trying to put on a few pounds, not easy.

RedMetamorphosis Tue 18-Apr-17 18:48:12

I once read that women are genuinely considered their most attractive when between 20 and 21 on BMI scale.

That's definitely true for me - I'm 5'9 and look best between 9 st 12 and 10st 4.

I'm 11st and while I am comfortable at this weight (BMI of 22) I still feel a little self-conscious.

BusterGonad Tue 18-Apr-17 18:55:42

I'm like you RedMe but 10st 10lb is my idea weight. Not sure what my bmi would be as I don't think to much about that, when I get compliments and feel like I look good then I'm happy!

specialsubject Tue 18-Apr-17 19:52:26

Look properly at the catwalk photos.

Rough as guts. Emaciated , sulky, miserable faces. Even normal clothes won't look good on someone that unwell.

Emperors new clothes!!!

MorelloKisses Tue 18-Apr-17 21:24:05

I totally agree, being too thin isn't cool and I understand people try hard and some can't put weight on etc.

For what it is worth, I'm happy as I am, but the Pinterest type pictures got me thinking about just how thin for 'fashion'. I know runway models are v thin/gaunt/emaciated and I don't really see people lusting after that look, but the Pinterest outfit pawn - that still features really thin wormen as far as I can see

So2007 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:30:55

I'm 5'8" and I feel very fat now at size 16. I was my happiest at size 12 two years ago. I have never went below that but I suspect I'd be happier at a size 10.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now