Talk

Advanced search

How to colour your hair in a PPD allergy minefield!!! Any advice???

(7 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Tue 18-Apr-17 11:50:17

I had quite a bad reaction to PPD at the hairdressers early last year from a Matrix colour.

My head swelled and I had a weeping rash on my scalp and ended up on antibiotics and steroids for the best part of a week afterwards.

I know people say I should grow grey gracefully, but the thing is, I have naturally very dark hair and the grey wisps that tend to come in are in the most random places and my hair just looks awful. Truly truly awful. Trust me, I have tried. I have, since the back end of last year been having my hair coloured blonde with just a weak concentration of peroxide, and I have had no reactions to this.

However, having this colour is starting to make my hair look a bit dry and I know it will end up wrecking it, so I would like to go back to being dark again.

Does anyone know of anyone PPD free hair colours that I can try? My hairdresser has suggested wella koleston pure innosense and a few other colours, but is there anyone here with any experience of this?? I am due to patch test a colour tomorrow and I am terrified!

Also in the interim does anyone know if it is safe to use a purple shampoo to take some of the yellowyness out of my highlights, this has been suggested but having done a quick google, apparently this can also contain trace amounts of PPD. It’s a minefield!!!

LivinLaVidaLoki Tue 18-Apr-17 12:25:02

Another stylist at the same salon suggested a brand called Think, but I cant find any information about them anywhere.............

UppityHumpty Tue 18-Apr-17 12:54:52

How about organic dyes? You need to visit Indian/Asian beauticians for a product review, but most of the dyes they would use on dark haired pregnant women (in my experience) are ppd free.

thedevilinablackdress Tue 18-Apr-17 13:15:32

Henna? Lush do it in various colours. You'd need to DIY though.

GattoColorCioccolatto Tue 18-Apr-17 14:10:01

Find a salon that uses "Organic Colour Systems", their dyes are PPD free. Have highlights and lowlights using their colours, it's really effective. Plus no harsh odor whilst you sit waiting for them to develop.

LivinLaVidaLoki Wed 19-Apr-17 00:02:45

Thanks!

ZaraKeyOui Wed 19-Apr-17 09:25:04

I use suraya henna. It covers all greys but you do need to leave it on for 6 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now