Talk

Advanced search

If you wear jeans to work, what do you do?

(98 Posts)
whereiscaroline Tue 18-Apr-17 11:00:18

Inspired by another thread I've seen this morning, and got me to thinking.

I left the corporate world for many reasons, and one of them was actually the dress code. I hate wearing jackets and "smart" clothes and for some reason find doing so incredibly stressful. I can see how bizarre that sounds as I'm writing it. When I think about going back to work, one of the things which really makes me feel anxious is the thought of having to dress smartly.

Anyway, if your job allows you to wear jeans to work, what is it that you do? If you can be specific about your role instead of just industry that would be great, but understand that might not be possible for outing reasons. Thanks MN smile

Smellybluecheese Tue 18-Apr-17 11:01:36

I'm a librarian (at a university).

Smellybluecheese Tue 18-Apr-17 11:02:40

I also totally understand as I too was very glad to leave the suits behind when I left the corporate world.

Thingywhatsit Tue 18-Apr-17 11:04:06

I used to wear jeans to work - and trainers! I was a support worker. Hardest job I have ever had - corporate world with suits and high heels and a 9-5 job with bonuses was actually a lot easier - just less rewarding.

5moreminutes Tue 18-Apr-17 11:05:12

I'm changing jobs, and the new role I'll be starting next month most people wear jeans - you can wear whatever you want as long as it's decent and practical. It's probably not the job you want though - I'll be looking after ten people with learning disabilities in an assisted living facility.

My DH wears jeans to work and is a computer programmer.

My kids wear jeans to school too (we live abroad)...

It's a good set up as I hate ironing grin

DorotheaHomeAlone Tue 18-Apr-17 11:05:43

I work in communications. Often wear smartish dresses and skirts but sometimes black jeans, smart top and heels. Does that count?

Rainshowers Tue 18-Apr-17 11:06:13

I worked in media (PA at a film company). Dress code was very relaxed, but you also didn't look out of place if you fancied dressing up occasionally. It was a nice mix. It also meant when I was pregnant I got good wear out of most of my maternity clothes as I could wear them for work and at the weekend.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Tue 18-Apr-17 11:06:45

I teach adults at times and usually wear jeans to do that although it depends on the course. Unwilling to be more specific, sorry! Couldn't wear jeans for most of my day job though.

Redtartanshoes Tue 18-Apr-17 11:07:34

Construction site mostly office (portacabin) based but on site a few times a week

SwearyBerry Tue 18-Apr-17 11:07:42

I work in the social /healthcare field. I love wearing jeans to work after 15 years of feeling uncomfortable in my corporate suits. Always had cold feet in smart shoes. Can even wait my trainers now!

Chavelita Tue 18-Apr-17 11:08:35

Academic.

BarneyRumbleton Tue 18-Apr-17 11:11:11

Media - I tend to wear black jeans dressed up with blazer and smart shoes.

LargelyClearSkies Tue 18-Apr-17 11:24:04

I crunch numbers. No public facing role, so we don't have a dress code. In in jeans, sweatshirt and trainers at the moment. I tend to look terrible at work!

Hopefully Tue 18-Apr-17 11:32:44

Personal stylist/shopper. I wear whatever I fancy, although will dress smarter if I'm helping out a corporate client than one I know has a casual lifestyle

Happydappy99 Tue 18-Apr-17 11:33:18

I'm a youth and family support worker and live in jeans and trainers. If I'm going to an all professionals meeting I dress a little smarter but still quite casual.

RickOShay Tue 18-Apr-17 11:39:05

I am a dinner lady, but outside. i wear jeans every single day, and a puffa coat. Always nippy.

EBearhug Tue 18-Apr-17 11:39:59

IT. Actually, we have people in all styles of dress from corporate suit to jeans & t-shirt. Sales people tend to go for full suits. Techies tend to go for jeans (and if you're doing physical datacentre work, you don't want to be in an expensive suit.) I do dress up a bit if we've got something formal on.

Suits but no tie seems increasingly common after our CEO made a big thing about not wearing a tie a couple of years ago. Not do relevant to women anyway.

Longji Tue 18-Apr-17 11:40:41

Accountant in the construction industry. Currently wearing a Breton striped top, skinny jeans and vans.

Floisme Tue 18-Apr-17 11:41:17

A charity but it does depend on your role. Fundraising and finance still look pretty corporate.

Ruhrpott Tue 18-Apr-17 11:41:53

I work in a lab. Everyone wears jeans all the time with a lab coat.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Tue 18-Apr-17 11:43:13

Also an academic, although I wear jeans for working on research mainly- if it's teaching/open days I don't wear them as I don't think it strikes quite the right tone.

originalbiglymavis Tue 18-Apr-17 11:46:19

I did when I worked for a charity. Now I'm all corporate and I have to dress like a business laydee. Apart from Fridays when it's dress down. Jeans are still a bit sniffed at though.

karalime Tue 18-Apr-17 11:48:05

Work for a clothing website, as I did in my last job.

Neither companies have given a shit about what I wear. My colleague next to me is currently sporting purple hair and a tutu.

fairiedemon Tue 18-Apr-17 11:48:58

Corporate banking. grin Not a customer facing role and it's far more liberal then you would believe.

Clarabell33 Tue 18-Apr-17 11:57:21

HE/FE sector, professional office-based job. Smart clothes only for external meetings (a few days a month) - jeans the rest of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now