Talk

Advanced search

using backpack instead of handbag?

(11 Posts)
JoyceDivision Mon 17-Apr-17 21:31:34

hi, i usually have a casual crossbody handbag, eg fossil keyper, for usual keys, purse, sunglasses, work pass, diary etc.

I live in jeans so don't have need for a dressy type bag, however being of an ample shape and ample boobs grin a crossbody bag ain't the best look, so was thinking of using a backpack instead.

but I'm wondering are they secure, can they be easily dipped into re purses?

can anyone recommend one, or tips how to make them secure?

thanks!

dinodiva Mon 17-Apr-17 22:10:43

I have a Fjallraven kanken and love it - I wouldn't go back to a handbag on a daily basis. I commute on the tube to work every day and nobody has tampered with it yet.

RNBrie Mon 17-Apr-17 22:12:49

I have a Whistles Verity which I love and use every day. It holds everything I need and leaves my hands free. It's got a zip and magnetic catch so I can't imagine anyone getting into it without me noticing.

Floisme Tue 18-Apr-17 08:59:40

Someone got into mine. I didn't have anything valuable in there so all they found was a book, an umbrella and some sunscreen but it was securely fastened and I didn't feel a thing. I can't even be certain where it happened but probably on the underground.

I still use one because my back and shoulders are wrecked (years of mahoosive messenger bags and totes - beware!) But I keep money, cards, keys etc separate, in a small cross body bag.

I agree having both arms free is a great feeling!

2boytrouble Tue 18-Apr-17 09:05:11

I'm in London and I wear a back pack!
More room, less weight on the arms and leaves two arms free when I have the children! Perfect! And I've never had it gotten into! I've been wearing a back pack since oldest was born and he's almost 6!

Bubblysqueak Tue 18-Apr-17 09:08:49

I saw the perfect backpack at the gadget show. It was tamper proof. The zip was on the part of the bag that is next to your back so was impossible to open unless you took the bag off of your back to open. Not sure what it was called or where to get it from sorry really not helpful blush will Google now to see if I can remember.

RusholmeRuffian Tue 18-Apr-17 09:12:41

I also have a Fjallraven Kanken and love it.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 18-Apr-17 09:15:19

We all wore rucksacks on the tube, kipling ones. And everyones got unzipped all they found in mine was my pile cream!!

Iamastonished Tue 18-Apr-17 09:15:47

I like backpacks, but find them inconvenient if I need constant access to them. I wear glasses, and on a sunny day I need to constantly swap between glasses and sunglasses. DD had a small backpack on holiday last year and it was a PITA because she needed to get to her water/sunglasses/eye drops constantly.

For this reason I prefer bumbags or cross body bags.

ClaudiaWankleman Tue 18-Apr-17 09:20:08

Only awful people wear their backpack on the tube anyway! You should always take it off and stick it on the floor/ on your front to avoid smacking people around the face/ shoulders when you turn around. It won't be easily tampered with from between your feet or hanging off your shoulder at the front.

UppityHumpty Tue 18-Apr-17 09:23:12

I personally don't think they look or 'feel' feminine enough even the expensive leather ones- I just use totes my commute and leather satchels for outside work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now