Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to curling hair with my ghds please??

(14 Posts)
Purplerainbow Mon 17-Apr-17 18:36:11

My hair holds a curl but I don't like really tight curls so I use my ghds to curl. This is fine BUT I have a lot of hair so it takes ages.. i remember years ago using those heated long foam things you fold and bend, and using heated rollers and my hair would look a crazy uneven birds nest. Is there any new alternatives that would give the sort of curl you can get from ghds please?

Purplerainbow Tue 18-Apr-17 07:25:03

Bump

DAMNgina Tue 18-Apr-17 07:35:43

Have you considered these?

www.cloudninehair.com/the-o-ultimate-set-black

I've not tried them personally and the reviews seem to be good - depending and your skill level and hair type I think.

I don't know if they will save you any time though.

Bahhhhhumbug Tue 18-Apr-17 07:45:58

I have a large heated brush which l find brilliant and very easy . Can't remember the make but will look later. It wasn't expensive around twenty quid about ten years ago. I have a lot of hair too and using thus is just like brushing it and l get that lovely big bouncy curls look or can be used just to straighten hair and is nowhere near as harsh as plate straighteners on the hair. I have a ceramic set of them but damage my hair if used too much .

Purplerainbow Tue 18-Apr-17 07:49:21

dam yes Iv had a look but seem to be on a par with ghds.......

bahhhhh does that sort of thing not make your hair knotty though? I'd like defined curls? Iv used all sorts of hot brushes etc but it ends up a fuzzy knotty mess?

DAMNgina Tue 18-Apr-17 07:52:08

Ahhh, ok.

Have you considered the old fashioned method of wet rags?

Again not time saving but maybe more time efficient - ie can do it before bed and save the morning rush?

Purplerainbow Tue 18-Apr-17 07:56:33

I used to do rags! But the effect is always a bit crazy!

NapoleonsNose Tue 18-Apr-17 08:02:18

I bought this the other day. It is a bit fiddly to begin with, but once you get the hang of it it does give a nice wave. You need to buy the handle as well so in total it cost around £28. Not sure if it will be any quicker than curling with GHDs though.

DAMNgina Tue 18-Apr-17 08:03:51

Hmmmm, ok. What about using a curl cream when it's wet and 'twirling' your hair into ringlets - then finger comb it to break up when it's dry?

Bahhhhhumbug Tue 18-Apr-17 08:04:33

No they don't in fact my hair has a slight curl when wet and if dried naturally looks OK but minute l brush it looks a frizzy mess but if l use this brush after brushing through with a normal brush and l always wait for my hair to dry before using it ( or suppose you could dry with a hairdryer first ) It really smooths it and it has a quick release buttton in case you get it tangled but l never have to use tha. Will post make later but unsure if can still get it as was a long time ago.

picklemepopcorn Tue 18-Apr-17 08:11:35

Headband curls?

Sock bun curls?

Google them for proper instructions.

Basically if you sleep in a bun, the hair waves nicely when you wake up. On top of your head gives waves all the way down, nape of neck gives waves at the ends.

Headband, you wear a soft hair band or pop sock like a sweat band, and wind the hair around it from front to back.

Aridane Tue 18-Apr-17 08:18:45

Digital perm?

Purplerainbow Tue 18-Apr-17 08:20:03

I'd love to be able to use curl cream and do it that way but 1/4 of my hair has a nice curl, 1/4 is poker straight 1/4 is kinky and the last 1/4 just for the hell it likes! Natural curl doesn't work.

WIll look at those other methods thanks. When my hair is in a bun I end up with a large 'ridge' though, crown is flat and the bottom half kinky rather than curly?

Do they do a modern large heated roller type things anymore?

Purplerainbow Tue 18-Apr-17 08:20:52

What's a digital perm??

I asked my hairdresser about perms and she said no way as my hair has had so much colour on it and has been over processed etc but is in good condition now so don't really want to mess about with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now