Talk

Advanced search

Ideas on what to wear over these dresses as guest at First Communion, please?

(11 Posts)
polyhymnia Mon 17-Apr-17 17:51:21

Going to a relative's son's first communion and 'do' at their house afterwards in about 3 weeks. Went to the boy's sister's first communion three years ago, so know the sort of level of dressiness required, ie 'nice' dress (thinks Home Counties 'stockbroker' belt), but not anywhere near wedding-y level.

Am planning to wear either this:

www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-dresses/smart-day-dresses/ww207/womens-long-sleeve-georgia-dress in the blue, which actually as a colour and print looks better than on the rather gormless-looking model]]

or this:
www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-knitwear/knitted-dresses/ww223-ivo/womens-ivory-linked-floral-amy-knitted-dress in the blue.

Either way, could be pretty chilly in early May. So what to cover up with? I guess the classic answer is a cashmere cardi, probably cropped. I'm a large busted, tall, hour glass, so would need to make sure it wasn't ridiculously cropped. But if too long could look frumpy (my DH thinks all cardis look frumpy).Don't want a pashmina as don't find them easy to wear elegantly.

Have been looking at these,
www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-knitwear/cashmere-cardigans/wu049-pnk/womens-pink-fizz-cashmere-crop-cardigan
www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-knitwear/cashmere-cardigans/wu052-ivo/womens-ivory-cashmere-crew-cardigan

or there is this - possibly too heavy:
www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/clearance/womens-knitwear/knitted-cardigans/wu068-nav/womens-navy-merino-knitted-blazer#nav
or this:
www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-knitwear/knitted-cardigans/wu083-ivo/womens-ivory_navy-alana-cardigan

As well as style, finding it very hard to pick the right colour. Can't wear red, orange, or bright pink. Shame, because otherwise the red would have been an obvious solution.

I do like the bright green but that would probably look best with the sleeveless version of the Georgia dress in green, ie:

www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-dresses/jersey-dresses/ww276/womens-georgia-jersey-dress

And I'm reluctant to buy a sleeveless dress as wouldn't ever wear it without covering arms.

Help/ideas, please

polyhymnia Mon 17-Apr-17 20:52:34

Bumping for evening style experts please - am getting short of time to find the right cover-up/ jacket for this family event- and being plus sized makes these things harder!

llhj Mon 17-Apr-17 20:55:46

What about a fitted linen jacket?

uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_26/2410316108?utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CKaW29OirNMCFWMq0wodapcKnA&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNmI7tOirNMCFbSk7QodtIEByw

llhj Mon 17-Apr-17 20:57:26

I think it would match that first dress nicely.

llhj Tue 18-Apr-17 07:43:23

Any thoughts on my suggestion?

Crumbs1 Tue 18-Apr-17 07:50:16

The Catholic Church worries not a jot what you'll be wearing. People tend not to dress up in same way Protestant church goers do.
For FHC a nice dress is lovely but you don't need a whole new outfit (unless you want one). Wear anything on top - a cardigan or jacket or light coat. The colour is irrelevant- assume those colours don't suit you as opposed to some belief they are unacceptable in church?
Lower key and understated is definitely better. Many parents/visitors won't have new or special outfits.
In truth your friends might tell you that your dress is nice but nobody is actually going to notice you at all. All eyes are on the parade of 7/8 year olds in beautiful white outfits.

burnishedsilver Tue 18-Apr-17 07:58:13

I'd go with a jacket rather than a cardigan. All 3 dresses are nice but the knitted one is perhaps a little wintery looking for May.

polyhymnia Tue 18-Apr-17 10:18:28

Many thanks for the advice. I like that Monsoon linen jacket.

Yes, I do know that everyone will be looking at the angelic first communion takers, not me, and that Catholics, like C of E members, don't particularly dress up for church - DH is from a Catholic family and as I mentioned have been to a FC in same family recently.
I'm thinking of wearing a 'nice' dress because of the party afterwards, as it was reasonably smart last time. Also was mostly in their garden as it was sunny - though not warm!

No, sadly red, pink, orange don't suit my skin tone.

polyhymnia Tue 18-Apr-17 10:21:02

PS - I already have the first 2 dresses so not buying a new outfit. But if I can find the right jacket or even cardi it will be useful with lots of other summer dresses.

Catherine0317 Tue 18-Apr-17 11:23:32

Hi

I get where you are coming from and the level of dressy up- ness you mean. It's similar to the level of dressing up in Ireland for FHC and other similar occasions. It's a very nice bit not necessarily a new dress or outfit. Yes, the focus will be on the darling getting the sacrament but doesn't mean u don't want to look nice too!

I too struggle with what to put over dresses as I'm busty and I find cropped cardigans awful. In my experience I have had nice dresses but then killed them with unsuitable jackets & cardis. Now In winter I typically wear a long dressy coat over dresses and in warmer weather I just go a bit cold. I would bring a pashmina with me though in case I'm freezing particularly later in the evening (I would bring it folded in a bag etc).

Both dresses r lovely by the way.

burnishedsilver Tue 18-Apr-17 15:51:56

I've never been to a UK communion but here in Ireland the woman are all likely to be in a new outfit having had a blow dry and their nails done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now