Talk

Advanced search

I have just discovered Velcro rollers!

(19 Posts)
MadameDePomPom Mon 17-Apr-17 12:09:50

I mean obviously I knew they existed (and I think I had a tangled encounter with one 15 years or so ago) but I've just discovered how well they work for me. Put some in my moussed and 90% blow dried hair a couple of hours before going out last night, without any great expectations, but <dramatic drum roll>.....when I removed them I had the swishy voluminous hair I've always dreamed of. And it's still swishy now 🙆

I'm not going to get up two hours earlier every day to do this but for nights out and big events I am fully converted.

(Don't think I will ever adopt the Scouse trend for going out and about with rollers on display though).

Greenvalleymama Mon 17-Apr-17 12:45:02

I use one for my fringe, can't get the same look with a brush and a hairdryer, I love them!

I also use one to keep my fringe out of the way when I'm doing my make-up.

We're nowhere near Liverpool and I've seen a parent in the school playground in full rollers shock

Aquamarine70 Mon 17-Apr-17 14:29:00

I've started using them again too. I blow dry my hair & then take a small section & then straighten it. I then put a large Velcro roller in. The heat from the irons means the roller sets with a bit of volume. I usually do my make up whilst the rollers are in so they can cool down in my hair. It takes me about 5 mins to do all my head with rollers.

user1492232552 Mon 17-Apr-17 14:38:18

Sounds quite harsh on the hair with the heat, has anyone tried using them and just letting their hair dry naturally ?

Aquamarine70 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:39:10

I've never had a problem with my hair & have used GHD's or Cloud 9's every day. I put a thermal protection spray on my hair & use a Cloud 9 irons. Every 2 weeks I use a hair mask & use a professional shampoo & conditioner. I think that must help keep it in good condition.
When removing the rollers you must unroll them slowly & not tug as that can pull out some of the hair. If you use as large roller as you can & smooth out each section with a comb first then it avoids any tangles.

healthyheart Mon 17-Apr-17 18:26:29

Do you need to back comb first as this puts me off slightly? Or does it work without back combing? Rollers at the ready, I'm going to give this a go!

MadameDePomPom Mon 17-Apr-17 18:30:23

Definitely don't backcomb first, that would lead to a tangled birds nest disaster possibly ending in reaching for the kitchen scissors! I just put some mousse in my hair dried it nearly all the way through, brushed it so it was silky smooth and tangle free, and then just wound some hair around 6 or so of the bigger sized rollers. A spritz of Ellnett and then just let them sit there for two hours.

healthyheart Mon 17-Apr-17 18:43:21

Thanks Madame! I'm looking fwd to giving this a go at the weekend! Ah the hairspray, I'll need to grab a can from the supermarket this week then. Thanks for this thread.

Urglewurgle Mon 17-Apr-17 18:48:18

I was just gonna say I live in Liverpool and you actually get given a set when you're born grin

Maudlinmaud Mon 17-Apr-17 18:49:23

My babyliss big hair gave up the ghost on me again, so I've gone back to velcros. I run the straighteners over my frizzy ends first and then pop them in. Like I just stepped out of a salon 🎶 Madame they are brill!

dancemom Mon 17-Apr-17 18:52:50

I sleep in mine! Pop them in when hair is 50% dry, sleep in them and take them out in the morning! Usually I can just shake my hair out and go, occasionally I run the straighteners over some parts

MadameDePomPom Mon 17-Apr-17 18:56:38

Do you use those soft spongey ones to sleep in dancemom? I might look into those if my passion for big hair continues to grow!

Bluntness100 Mon 17-Apr-17 18:57:05

God, I used to have these in as a very young child. My hair is wavy and was very long and my granny used to put them in before I went to bed and I'd wake up in the morning with loose curls. I still remember the poly bag with the yellow and pink rollers in...haven't remembered that in ages.

Am now tempted again! 😂

MadameDePomPom Mon 17-Apr-17 18:58:54

Maudlin I like the Babyliss Big Hair but the results for me when using it is smooth and sleek hair rather than volumised hair.

Methenyouplus4 Mon 17-Apr-17 18:59:30

What size/ how many do you think I'd need for hair just below ears? Is the aim volume /swish rather than curls?

Any youtube tutorials people could recommend?

Maudlinmaud Mon 17-Apr-17 19:06:21

I bought mine from home bargains, I use big ones for the top section and medium sized for the rest. I might be doing it wrong. Dd has those soft sleep in rollers I might pinch hers. I also bought soft spongy type rollers with a clip but haven't taken them out of the packet yet, looks a bit of a faff. Yes babyliss does smoothe my hair but also gives a bit of root lift, it's away to get fixed at the mo, I do miss it, but I think it may have been pulling hair out.

dancemom Mon 17-Apr-17 19:06:26

Yip the squishy ones. First few nights they felt uncomfortable but now don't notice them in at all!

MadameDePomPom Mon 17-Apr-17 19:08:13

Methen my hair is about shoulder length and I used about 6 of the larger ones. Photo shows size I used with pound coin for scale. If you want actual curls you'd need to use the smaller rollers and more of them.

TeaQuiero Mon 17-Apr-17 19:29:59

I avoid these, as the tiny Velcro hooks cause breakages and eventually frizz and twangy broken ends.

Heated/ceramic rollers, though, I love those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now