Talk

Advanced search

Do you think it's possible to look older if you have a "young face"?

(12 Posts)
dotandstripe Mon 17-Apr-17 11:28:25

I'm 34 this year and constantly being told I look like I'm in my early 20s. It seems to mostly be my face that looks young - all the women on my mother's side are the same. I have quite a "thick" smooth skin with very few lines or marks. And no kids/never smoked/never spent much time in the sun etc. Even when I didn't dye my hair and had a fair few greys, it made no difference. It happens whatever I'm wearing - from plain black dresses to skinny jeans and breton tops. I've tried different make up styles from natural to bold eye liner or red lips. I've worn glasses for over 10 years. Tried very short hair and very long hair. (Not all just for the purpose of looking older obviously!)

I try not to let it bother me but just recently had another experience of someone tell me in a work context there was no way I looked like I was in my 30s because I have such a baby face and it really knocked my confidence. blush

A lot of people say "oh you'll love it when you're 50" and maybe I will but I sure don't love it now... I work in a job where having life experience is considered an asset and it really doesn't help when people are always saying "oh you probably weren't even alive yet when that happened..." and turns out they're talking about 1995 or something (I was born in 1983!).

Justwaitingforaline Mon 17-Apr-17 11:33:45

No advice but I can totally relate, OP. I'm 23 but look about 16 and constantly get sneered at when out with 2 year old DD, I've even had comments made about 'kids having kids' and how awful it is. Also had the ' you'll be thankful when you're 50 comments' which are nice in theory but 50 is a long, long time away.

I sometimes wonder if I'll age overnight one day or something!

unicornpoopoop Mon 17-Apr-17 11:50:07

I can definitely relate. I'm 30 with 3 kids and often get confused for a school child! I get constantly quizzed about how old I was when I had my first child. No one in my working world takes me seriously when they first meet me. It seems everywhere I go all people want to talk to me about is how young I am!

Mrs9C Mon 17-Apr-17 12:13:06

I get that too. I'm turning 35 this year, and my husband is a decade older than me, so very conscious of it. He looks young too though. I have to say it's beginning to bother me a little less than it used to now that I'm almost closer to 40 than 30.

Mrs9C Mon 17-Apr-17 12:13:47

I meant to say, he looks young too, but ageing is catching up with him now. And someone once thought I was a LOT younger than him.

clearwinter Mon 17-Apr-17 12:20:12

What's your hair style like? I have a baby face too and having a well cut professional style helps loads.

Ktown Mon 17-Apr-17 12:21:48

I had this a lot until quite recently. It was really bad at work being mistaken for the student intern!
Anyway over the past 10 years I have switched and wear a lot of Cos and some light make up.
The structure and the make up plus my advancing years now it seems to have settled!

Believeitornot Mon 17-Apr-17 12:35:38

I used to look young but as I approach 36, it's like age is suddenly catching up with me! I think the years of being tired (I have dcs) and sun damage from when I was much younger has caught up with me.

dotandstripe Mon 17-Apr-17 12:38:47

clearwinter currently just past jaw length slightly layered bob - cut by someone in a posh salon (I went as a hair model)! Thinking of getting it cut a bit shorter again soon, though...

MistyKnightsTwistout Mon 17-Apr-17 12:39:18

I used to have this but having my DD has made me age rather quickly!
Do you smile a lot? Try to smile a lot less! Probably sounds weird but people struggle to patronise you when they're not getting that kind of positive feedback.
It is annoying.

sohelpmegoad Tue 18-Apr-17 20:30:49

I used to hate this in my 20s Im rather glad now Im in my 50s and most people think Im early 40s

Your time will come

imjessie Tue 18-Apr-17 20:43:53

I was like this ,now in my 40's I'm starting to look my age a bit even though I stilll get told I look early 30's .. enjoy it while it lasts as it won't last forever !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now