Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a dress to wear for cousin's wedding- would really appreciate your help! :)

(10 Posts)
Pariswhenitdrizzles Sun 16-Apr-17 21:09:01

Hi everyone!

My cousin's getting married this summer in a civil ceremony in a town hall, with a second bigger ceremony held abroad for later on in the summer.

The idea is that the town hall ceremony will be for close relatives, so some of her family and DP's family will be attending, with about ten people coming altogether. After the ceremony, they're planning to celebrate with a family meal at a nearby restaurant.

Would I be unreasonable to ask you to help me find a dress to wear for the ceremony please? I'm really hopeless at these kinds of things, and your help would be really appreciated! smile

For a bit of background, I'm in my mid-twenties. I'm 5ft (so really quite short!) and normally wear a size 8-10. 'Problem areas' are my stomach, bum and thighs, which are a bit podgy(!) I'm blonde with quite pale skin (I don't really tan, unfortunately!)

My budget is around £50. Normally, for occasions like this, I like fitted dresses in colours like light and dark blue, pale pink, green etc. I really like 'fit&flare' dresses with a fitted bodice that comes out from the waist and of lace dresses too, although, as the wedding is in August in London, it might be worth having a light airy fabric that wouldn't get too hot. (I'd love to reuse this dress too if possible!)

I've asked a lot of you all already I know, but if you could offer any tips or advice on shoes to go with the dress, I'd also be really grateful smile I'm thinking of wearing mid-height heels with the dress, potentially nude heels, but as the bride (my cousin) is wearing nude heels with a white lace dress, so I would of course not want to copy her or 'upstage' her or anything like that.

Thanks very much everyone! smile

Emboo19 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:01:27

It's still a bit early, more summer dresses will be out shortly. Oasis tend to do a lot in the style you like, £50 is maybe a bit of a tight budget, check warehouse and topshop too and keep a eye out for oasis's 20% off they run a few times through the year and their sales are usually really good.

Had a quick look and this one is nice and maybe the kind of thing you'd like....I'd wear with nude heels.

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sun 16-Apr-17 22:05:16

Oh wow Emboo this one's gorgeous!! I really love the colour, and the style's very pretty. Thank you! smile

Emboo19 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:07:00

If you're going to be on your feet for a while and don't want to be too bride like, these heels are nice. And chunky heels are in at the moment.

Emboo19 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:10:12

It's a lovely dress and the cornflower blue colour looks good on blondes. It comes in two lengths too, so think the shorter one would be good for your height. I'd be tempted to hold out for 20% off or the next sale or consider a oasis card and just pay it straight off, usually get 20% off when you get one of those.

PrimalChic Sun 16-Apr-17 22:24:08

Another dress from Oasis. I've just bought this and love it. It's not too long on a short person!

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sun 16-Apr-17 22:36:49

Have just ordered it online - thanks so much again! I'll let you know what it's like smile

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sun 16-Apr-17 22:43:28

Ooh thanks Primal - that dress also looks lovely smile

Pariswhenitdrizzles Sun 16-Apr-17 22:47:38

Oh my gosh Emboo you're amazing!! You're like my fashion fairy godmother smile the shoes are stunning - thank you so much for spotting them. I love them, and they'll definitely be able to be re-used for the other ceremony too - and later on, hopefully! I prefer block heels to stilettos, and these look lovely!

Emboo19 Sun 16-Apr-17 23:03:22

Glad you like!
Now after looking at dresses and shoes, I really want an occasion I can get dressed up for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now