Advanced search

Flats for a Corporate Interview?

(24 Posts)
So2007 Sun 16-Apr-17 05:09:52

Is it a no no?

Not comfortable with heels.

PhoenixJasmine Sun 16-Apr-17 05:18:30

I'm so sad this is even a worry!

As long as you're not wearing mud-encrusted wellies or stinky running shoes I can't imagine flat shoes would be a problem?

If the company had any kind of heels-for-women policy or expectation, would you want to work for them anyway?

My last interview (granted, clinical not corporate) I wore a smart dark knitted dress, dark tights, dark ballet-type shoes (but a bit more substantial/structured, not cheapos).

user1492232552 Sun 16-Apr-17 05:34:14

I wore 4" heels to a job interview once and as I stood up to shake hands with what would have been my new boss and towered over him I knew I hadn't got it. Totally intimidated.
Haven't worn heels since and got plenty of jobs !

CantChoose Sun 16-Apr-17 10:40:24

I wouldn't want to work somewhere that would base my appointment on the height of my heel so it wouldn't bother me anyway ;)
Aside from that, I think as long as it's a smart flat shoe it should be fine. Plenty of my friends in corporate posts wear beautiful flats or very low heels. Obviously not trainers!

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Apr-17 10:44:11

I've never worn heels in my life.
I have a senior role in a large public body, having cut my teeth in the corporate world. My job also involves muddy wellies! I don't feel that my footwear has held me back.

dotandstripe Sun 16-Apr-17 10:45:53

My last interview was in the winter and I wore these with a black dress. I feel more confident in a bit of a heel but these are super comfortable to walk in.

http://www.peterhahn.co.uk/gabor-ankle-boots-black-322420.html

Trills Sun 16-Apr-17 10:50:02

If wearing heels made the difference between getting and not getting the job, then you probably don't want to work there anyway.

TapStepBallChange Sun 16-Apr-17 11:19:53

My advice is always to wear what you feel confident and capable in. I've done loads of corporate interviews, never notice the shoes. I do notice people who seem uncomfortable and it can take the interview longer to warm up if they are worrying about either not being able to walk in their shoes/ feeling self conscious about flats. And yes it's rubbish that women have to go through this crap. I've learnt there is rarely any point deciding on a candidate until they've relaxed in an interview and become themselves

Clarks have some lovely flat shoes that would be fine for interviews:

Here

Brogue things

These are lovely irl

Totally inoffensive ballet shoes from Topshop Hobbs have a more expensive version that is v similar.

Cute but £££ from LKB.

thedevilinablackdress Sun 16-Apr-17 12:29:34

Dear god, no do not wear heels if you don't normally. Why why would anyone do that? They're interviewing the real human you, not a show pony (I hope!) Ok, rant over and not directed at you OP, sorry...(can you tell I was readung Caitlin Moran this morning?). I hope your interview goes really well and feeling comfortable will really help

CountFosco Sun 16-Apr-17 12:44:34

Smart pointy shoes are fine. Currently lusting after these from Finery. This style is everywhere and very office appropriate.

If I was wearing trousers I'd absolutely definitely wear loafers or brogues, both completely work appropriate.

PrimalChic Sun 16-Apr-17 13:23:28

If you wow them with your abilities, they won't remember what you wore. If you feel most confident in flats, wear them and then forget about it. If you feel more confident in heels, the same goes. It's all about your confidence on the day and making sure they know how good you are.

All the very best of luck!

JaceLancs Sun 16-Apr-17 13:25:16

I only wear heels for nights out when I'm driving or taxi ing
Pointy flats are my go to, for some reason brogues or ballet pumps make me look like a child (I do have tiny feet though)

So2007 Mon 17-Apr-17 02:59:11

Are these fine if I'll wear pants?

So2007 Mon 17-Apr-17 03:40:14

Ok, tried it with the pants and the flats show. So scratch that option.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 17-Apr-17 06:21:00

What do you mean by "the flats show"? I think those shoes would be fine for an interview with a skirt/dress/trousers (as long as they're the right length).

So2007 Mon 17-Apr-17 06:38:14

I meant the pants aren't long enough. I was thinking if they hide the metal parts, they'd be fine.

Nellyphants Mon 17-Apr-17 07:08:06

Why do you have to hide the metal parts? Do they have a strict no detailing on shoe policy? They look good to me

So2007 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:49:25

Do they have a strict no detailing on shoe policy? They look good to me

No not really. I just thought corporate shoes should be plain. I could be wrong.

Nellyphants Mon 17-Apr-17 08:13:45

I work in a corporate environment. I also interview quite a bit. Those shoes are fine. In fact I'd much sooner see somebody in flats rather than 4 inch heels that they can barely walk in.

So2007 Mon 17-Apr-17 08:15:02

I work in a corporate environment. I also interview quite a bit. Those shoes are fine.

Great!!! This is good news. I really am afraid I'd trip wearing court shoes.

Nellyphants Mon 17-Apr-17 08:37:46

Go for it, strong, confident, you'll walk it

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Mon 17-Apr-17 09:00:47

I work and interview corporate. Smart leather (or indistinguishable pleather) flats are fine of course - personally I wouldn't go with the slightly punky detailing on those particular shoes but as an interviewer I wouldn't mark you down because of them.

andintothefire Mon 17-Apr-17 12:22:55

I don't think those shoes are very "corporate". I would wear them to work only after I had been there for a little while and felt comfortable being a bit quirkier in my dress sense.

However, flats generally are fine. I must admit that I would always wear a slightly higher heel for an interview (i.e. brogues of about 1") just because I think it looks a bit smarter than a completely flat shoe. However, I am not particularly tall and it may be that somebody taller and slimmer than me would look smart in flat shoes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now