Talk

Advanced search

Dyeing my hair like Holly Willoughby's

(55 Posts)
CurlieSue Sat 15-Apr-17 11:17:50

Hi, are there any hair experts who can help me please? I have naturally mousy coloured hair. I generally have blonde highlights but I never feel happy with the result. I'm thinking of going all-over blonde using Garnier Nutrisse. I really like Holly Willoughby's hair and she uses Garnier Nutrisse. I wouldn't dare try to dye it myself but would go to a salon. What I would like to know is:

a) I've just had some hightlights done. They are blonde with a chocolate brown (which I don't like, as the hair stylist put too much brown in). Can I put a blonde hair dye on now, or do I need to wait a while for my highlights to fade?

b) Is Garnier Nutrisse generally considered a good hair dye by Hair Stylists?

c) If I find an all-over blonde looks a bit too unnatural on my hair, can the hairdresser then blend in some darker tones afterwards?

Thank you

TheBakeryQueen Sat 15-Apr-17 11:20:20

I bet she doesn't really use garnier nutrisse.

Take a photo of the blonde result you want and see what the hairdresser suggests.

prettywhiteguitar Sat 15-Apr-17 11:22:43

Holly Willoughby definitely will not achieve her hair by dyeing it at home with a box dye.

There is a chance that the brown highlights might go orange or another funny colour. If you want to go platinum blonde you will have to lift it all first and then put a colour on. If you can afford it why not ask your hairdresser to do it and then keep it up with a box dye ?

squoosh Sat 15-Apr-17 11:45:50

Holly Willoughby will definitely have the Garnier dye in her hair (although no doubt applied by a professional colourist) otherwise she wouldn't be allowed to appear in the ads claiming she did. That's illegal.

Personally I think the colour is too brassy looking on her.

Truckingalong Sat 15-Apr-17 12:26:03

Holly is stunning but remove holly from her hair and it's actually a pretty naff colour. Too yellow and brassy. Box dyes can be pretty unpredictable and it depends what colour you're starting with.

BounceBounceSplishSplash Sat 15-Apr-17 12:26:14

I wouldn't even attempt to do it yourself OP and I can't imagine that you could turn up to a salon with a box of hair dye asking a hairdresser to do it. Most would use better salon appropriate dye unless you got a hairdresser to come to your house.

I agree with a PP that her hair looks too brassy and yellow. You'd be better off going to a salon and discussing wanting to go blonde and the best way they think you should do that.

NoCapes Sat 15-Apr-17 12:28:32

You can't take a box dye to a salon!

PaperdollCartoon Sat 15-Apr-17 13:35:18

Yes Holly will have the dye in her hair, but it will be professionally applied. But as others have said you really can't rock up to the hairdresser with a box colour and ask them to put it on. Salons don't use those dyes, mine uses TiGi colours mostly. Other will have relationships with other brands. You can go and ask for Holly's hair colour though.

BusterGonad Sat 15-Apr-17 13:37:17

Some old school hair dressers do allow you to bring your own and they charge a few quid to do it but they are few and far between!

SleepFreeZone Sat 15-Apr-17 13:38:02

Agreed. A millionaire won't be applying hair dye in her bathroom out of a packet. It will be professionally done in s very expensive salon in London.

Bestthingever Sat 15-Apr-17 13:39:16

Is it actually illegal to claim you use something when you don't? I never knew that.

Gingerbreadmam Sat 15-Apr-17 13:40:28

in a salon they would use there own dyes but would have no problem achieving the colour you wanted.

They would have to use bleach though as dye doesnt lift dye so to get the brown bits the colour you wanted they would have to bleach those. doesnt matter so much about the highlights, they would blend.

i also agree its highly unlikely Holly has a box dye. Home hair dyes wouldnt usually get your hair that light.

MrsDustyBusty Sat 15-Apr-17 13:42:15

I don't think she actually says she uses that specific thing in her hair in the ad. It seems to me that they are quite careful to make it possible to infer that they do without ever saying any such thing.

Also, it's a horrible, old fashioned yellow.

squoosh Sat 15-Apr-17 13:44:20

Yeah, they have to show the actual product they're promoting. So Holly wouldn't be able to appear with a head full of £500 highlights and claim it's a £6.99 Garnier box dye.

squoosh Sat 15-Apr-17 13:49:13

'Also, it's a horrible, old fashioned yellow.'

It is. Because it's a box dye.

As soon as her contract with Garnier ends I'm sure she'll go back to a much nicer shade.

MrsDustyBusty Sat 15-Apr-17 13:55:02

So Holly wouldn't be able to appear with a head full of £500 highlights and claim it's a £6.99 Garnier box dye.

She doesn't actually say that though, from what I recall.

CurlieSue Sat 15-Apr-17 13:56:04

Thanks all for your advice. This is interesting. I'm wondering if I should just stick with highlights. I just wish I could find someone who could do it like I wanted it!

Maudlinmaud Sat 15-Apr-17 13:56:17

Hi op, I've got a buttery blonde like Hollys. My hair dresser doesn't use garnier. I sometimes get two blondes to one brown and sometimes one blonde to one brown. One of the blondes is quite ash and the brown is mocha. It gives a much nicer finish than an all over colour.

CurlieSue Sat 15-Apr-17 13:58:52

Thanks Maudinmaud. Does your hairdresser do highlights on your hair to achieve the look?

squoosh Sat 15-Apr-17 13:59:06

'She doesn't actually say that though, from what I recall.'

She's advertising the product. If it wasn't on her barnet the Advertising Standards Authority would have the ad pulled.

Maudlinmaud Sat 15-Apr-17 14:05:54

Yes she uses foils. She also puts a toner in after and I have a blowdry most weeks where she sticks a toner on too. Keeps it from going brassy. I was looking at some of her pearly blonde shades and would love to try them but I have a warm undertone to my skin and hair so I've been advised they wouldn't suit me.

SleepFreeZone Sat 15-Apr-17 14:07:14

CurlySue colouring hair is a real art form as to get a really natural shade you need multiple colours in your hair otherwise it looks flat. I have three colours run through my hair - a brown, a white blonde and a caramel blonde. The effect is pretty natural.

When you say highlights are you just having stripes of blonde run through your hair? If so it might be worth having some different shades of blonde run through it.

MrsDustyBusty Sat 15-Apr-17 14:09:47

She's advertising the product. If it wasn't on her barnet the Advertising Standards Authority would have the ad pulled.

I'm not sure that's true. She's saying it's a great product but I think she would be free to say that sincerely without using it herself when she doesn't state that what's in that box was how she achieved that hair colour.

squoosh Sat 15-Apr-17 14:10:34

It is true.

Honestly.

Gingerbreadmam Sat 15-Apr-17 14:14:57

a good hairdresser should always be able to give you what you ask for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now