Talk

Advanced search

Does this outfit sound okay?

(12 Posts)
EmilyByTheRiver Sat 15-Apr-17 07:07:31

I am - quite simply- rubbish at putting outfits together!But I am going out tomorrow with friends, one of whom is very stylish. It is an easter lunch, smart casual.

I am overweight and quite dumpy. My usual look is jeans and long jumpers and scarves. For tomorrow I have;

navy blue knee length linen skirt (I have good legs).
White plain cotton shirt
Chunky turquise necklace
chunky silver bangles
a scarf if it gets cold that will either be blue an silver or bright fire engine red.
Shoes will be nude coloured.

I know it sounds very boring, but I don't want to look really odd so happy to play safe.

TIA. smile

Friolero Sat 15-Apr-17 07:11:21

Sounds good to me smile

EmilyByTheRiver Sat 15-Apr-17 07:14:54

Thanks! I really have to get my act together style-wise.

(and lose 3 stone).

CantChoose Sat 15-Apr-17 07:31:44

How old are you? It's hard to say without seeing the actual items but the jewellery sounds like it could make the look a little frumpy. Plain, understated jewellery might be a better bet. But otherwise it sounds fine and as I said, it's hard to comment without seeing them so I could be way off the mark!
I hope you have a lovely lunch!

DAMNgina Sat 15-Apr-17 07:42:21

I think that sounds lovely - I wonder if the Coco Chanel advise re: dressing with accessories would be applicable though?

“Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.”

Buuuuut saying that the key confidence, so whatever you wear, own it and style it out.

Hope you have a great time with your friends who I am sure will be delighted to see you whatever you are wearing.

DAMNgina Sat 15-Apr-17 07:43:46

*advice

WipsGlitter Sat 15-Apr-17 08:28:46

Will you be wearing tights? What sort of shoes?

PovertyJetset Sat 15-Apr-17 08:31:08

Don't wear the red scarf or I think you might look like a BRitish airways steward! Otherwise I think you'll look lovely.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 15-Apr-17 10:16:03

Sounds good to me. I'd go blue or silver on the scarf though, red and blue is a generally unsafe combo unless you really know what you're doing

EmilyByTheRiver Sat 15-Apr-17 10:18:36

Oooh... okay. Red scarf issue noted. grin

I planned to have skin coloured stockings and the shoes are (i am embarrassed to admit) patent ballet ones. I have a back problem that makes high heels a real issue for me.

I am 44.

Noted on the chunky jewellery- I could go a simple silver necklace and add in silver drop, aztec style earrings. (I tend to either wear either no necklace and obvious earrings or vice versa).

Thanks so much for all the advice and help. smile

I am looking forward to the lunch very much- we haven't seen these friends for ages and they are lovely.

EmilyByTheRiver Sat 15-Apr-17 10:20:10

Blue scarf I think then. And no necklace.

EmilyByTheRiver Sat 15-Apr-17 10:26:30

Re-thinking the scarf ... I'd look nude-blue-white-blue. I have a really pretty pale pink and silver scarf. That might make me look less in a uniform. (perhaps).

Thanks again, I am hugely grateful to you all. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now