Talk

Advanced search

My hair is ruined, advice needed!

(81 Posts)
JonSnowsWhore Sat 15-Apr-17 00:47:01

Since having some colour stripped out of my hair & then having it bleached it's absolutely terrible, it's so dry, it gets knotted so so easily. It was thick to start with but I'm pregnant so I think it's just got drier & thicker.
I'm at the point now where I can't even get my tangle teezer through it, it's completely knotted. I've washed it tonight & put some conditioner in it to leave in over night, it's only cheap stuff though so doubt it'll do any good. I wanted to get it cut tomorrow to make it more manageable & get rid of some of the dry/knotty ends but obviously can't go anywhere in this state.

Any miracle products I can put on it so I'll be able to get a brush through it? Will it get worse if I just put a brown over it once it's cut to get rid of the horrible brassy 'blonde' that was meant to be a balayage?
Unfortunately I can only afford a cut at the hairdressers at the moment & not any of their treatments or colours so hoping for some of you to come along with some miracles for me

N0tfinished Sat 15-Apr-17 01:09:14

This Hair Color Strengthening https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YNKGP02/ref=cmswrcpapi_Qpw8yb23NHR0Aolaplex dupe helped mine a lot. My hair is dry & processed but wasn't quite as damaged as you described though.
Coconut oil works well too, especially as overnight pre-shampoo mask. I was always a bit hmmgiven that it's reccomended for every damn thing but I have to admit it was excellent

Rockchick1984 Sat 15-Apr-17 01:14:57

Brown over the top may go green...

When my hair ended up in a similar way, I dyed it red then brown over the red so that I didn't end up with any green tints to it. However, my hair wasn't knotting or feeling brittle or anything - there's a risk of it snapping off if you try to dye it again and it's too damaged.

Personally I'd get as much chopped off as you can bear, then use a purple toned conditioner to get rid of the brassiness. My fave is this one

HardRockHallelujah Sat 15-Apr-17 01:22:20

Try argan oil, leave it on for ten minutes then try to brush the knots out.

JonSnowsWhore Sat 15-Apr-17 01:27:13

Coconut oil has worked well in the past but I've had it on today & it just made it worse confused might have been the crappy one I used though it was in the hair bit of home bargains!

Red is what I spent ages trying to strip out of my hair so I don't really want to put it back in although I do know exactly what you mean about the green tinge of brown over blonde.

Eurgh I can't even sleep my head is so cold from this conditioner all over it. I'll definitely get a good chunk cut off, if I ever get it unmatted so I can face a hairdresser!

EatsShitAndLeaves Sat 15-Apr-17 01:37:18

I bleached my own hair years ago.

Ruined it - and since have left colour on my hair to the professionals.

I used V05 hot oil in my hair (showing my age). Stopped shampooing it - conditioner only.

So my advice - slather your hair with oil - even olive oil from your kitchen. Wrap in cling film and a towel for hours - or better still overnight.

Use a small amount of shampoo to get out the oil - them slather on conditioner and leave for as long as you can.

Then more oil...a few drops in your hands and push through your hair.

Dry - then again, more oil on your hands.

Next time rinse your hair clean but no shampoo- conditioner only.

It took about 2 weeks but my hair finally recovered.

JonSnowsWhore Sat 15-Apr-17 01:42:21

I've just read about olive oil, was too late though I'd already put the conditioner on & come to bed lol. I've had my hair bleached quite a few times in previous years & it's always been fine, so I think it was more all of the colour stripping, I don't know what that hairdresser used but she should bloody stop!

I'll try & brush it with the conditioner on still in the morning, hopefully that'll help a bit. I took a pic of the terrible state it was in after I washed it tonight, bit embarrassing but I'll show you how bad it's got. Even though I haven't had any bleach or anything put in it for about 8 months it just seems to get worse

JonSnowsWhore Sat 15-Apr-17 01:42:44

RawPotatoes Sat 15-Apr-17 01:58:09

You need to do some bonding treatments, OP. Olaplex, or something like that, to rebuild the hair from the inside out. Or Colorphlex is a much cheaper version, which works well.

JonSnowsWhore Sat 15-Apr-17 02:00:47

Colourplex rings a bell, think it's what that hairdresser put on it after she did all the colour stripping. I'm so traumatised my hair has always been the only decent part of my lol & now I'm left with this

JonSnowsWhore Sat 15-Apr-17 02:01:20

*of me

Blondie1984 Sat 15-Apr-17 04:31:46

I swear by Phillip Kingsley Elasticizer but it's not cheap....although a pot does last a long time ...

Temporary2002 Sat 15-Apr-17 04:49:14

Try using conditioner to wash it on stead if shampoo. I have heard mashed avacado is good for dry hair but have not tried it yet. Good luck!

summerfling Sat 15-Apr-17 05:49:06

This reminds me of the time my hair was like this.

It was so bad I couldn't brush, dry or straighten it. It was horrendous!

I ended up cutting it all off.

Movingin2017 Sat 15-Apr-17 05:58:26

A hair dresser will untangle it for you but I think I'd ring round mobile hairdressers to come to yours to help as it will obviously be embarrassing for you in a salon. hope you get it sorted.

user1492173460 Sat 15-Apr-17 06:06:50

Opalex or salonplex is chihuahua is on offer in Tesco for £2 each

shockofthepops Sat 15-Apr-17 06:07:45

Olaplex!

Georgiesgirl Sat 15-Apr-17 06:21:20

smile love that you corrected the spelling of Olaplex but didn't address the chihuahua, shock.

shockofthepops Sat 15-Apr-17 06:25:06

Haha i wasn't correcting anything, just recommending Olaplex.. it's brilliant I'm sitting at the hairdresser's now about to have my treatment.

Glossolalia Sat 15-Apr-17 06:30:25

I would also recommend Phillip Kingsley elasticiser

Georgiesgirl Sat 15-Apr-17 06:34:14

smile sorry shock, I thought you'd written both comments for some reason.

picklemepopcorn Sat 15-Apr-17 07:02:42

It may need moisture rather than oil. You can make a mask out of strained porridge oats.

ofudginghell Sat 15-Apr-17 07:17:47

It needs protein not moisture.
Stripping colour has stripped the protein bonds in your hair.
Putting shop bought surface conditioners on won't do a thing.
You need to find a salon that will do a protein treatment mask and book in.
Colour stripping if done properly shouldn't leave your hair like that although it depends how much colour was on there and what it was.
If your going for a cut today ask the hairdresser the best treatment for protein that they have

user1492173460 Sat 15-Apr-17 07:21:18

I have no idea how chihuahua got in there!smile

samoyedydog Sat 15-Apr-17 09:21:38

Wow I used an at home colour stripper on my pretty badly abused hair (bleached frequently dyed just about every colour possible over the years!) and it didn't come out like that, was theirs super extra strength or something? I've left my hair alone for a long long time and was getting bored so was thinking about going to the hairdressers for them to bleach it instead of doing it myself, you've reminded me why I'm scared of hairdressers! Hope you manage to sort it, I find Aphogee 2 minute that you can buy on Amazon to be quite good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now