Talk

Advanced search

Boden - is it usually like this?

(16 Posts)
mustbetimeforacreamtea Fri 14-Apr-17 22:14:44

Tried Boden (in the sale) recently expecting it to be better quality than supermarkets/standard high street chains. Bought some tops including a breton striped top.

When the parcel arrived the fabric was pretty poor and thin. I was certainly expecting the breton to be a heavier weight. Couldn't see how they can justify the price premium.

Is this normal for Boden?

PissedAroundPissedOff Fri 14-Apr-17 22:16:17

Depends what you buy. I avoid anything that says 'lightweight.

LovingLola Fri 14-Apr-17 22:17:26

Some things are good, others not so much. Read the reviews. I tend to avoid anything that does not get really good reviews.

ArtemisiaGentilleschi Fri 14-Apr-17 22:22:21

The Bretons are crap. They didn't use to be though.
I got 2 in.the sale last year and would have sent them back if I could be bothered.
The girl's Bretons though are fab. Dd has them in each colour and they are thick cotton which keeps its shape and colour.

SeaRabbit Mon 17-Apr-17 08:00:31

I have found Boden's quality for the price is poor. I'd rather pay a lot less or a bit more to balance price and quality!

I have bought Uniqlo Bretons the last 2 years - really good thick cotton, and wash very well. Usually they do lots of colours - so far this year they have only a few colours:
www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/women-striped-boat-neck-long-sleeve-t-shirt-182156.html?dwvar_182156_color=COL03&dwvar_182156_size=SMA002&cgid=IDstriped12118

VivienneEastwood Mon 17-Apr-17 11:16:46

What's the uniqlo sizing like? I'm usually a 12-14 top, thanks

RedandWhiteStripe Mon 17-Apr-17 11:18:31

MUJI Bretons are fantastic - heavy weight, keep their shape and wash well.

SeaRabbit Mon 17-Apr-17 16:12:24

Generally I find they are true to size or on the large side.

I also agree MUJI clothes are good - I have some lovely socks I just bought, and in the past I had a lovely shirt. I think they are smallish though - my One-size Socks fit perfectly on my size 37 feet.

habibihabibi Mon 17-Apr-17 16:59:26

I think boden's women's range has really deteriorated in the past few years. The quality and sizing is very hit and miss.
Kids things are brill still.

Silvertap Mon 17-Apr-17 17:13:18

Joules Bretons Are much better quality for the same price

imjessie Mon 17-Apr-17 17:19:04

Joules harbour tops are the vets for the money imo

Fingalswave Mon 17-Apr-17 17:23:47

Yes I bought a Boden breton over five years ago and it is still going strong.

I ordered some more recently and was so disappointed with the thin material; nothing like the previous model but more expensive.

I agree that Joules are much better quality, unfortunately their fit isn't as good for me.

SuburbanCrofter Mon 17-Apr-17 19:50:47

I think Boden clothes tend to me more realistically priced in the sales - so instead of expecting quality proportionate to the original price, I would consider the sale price to be the actual price and judge accordingly. IYSWIM!

dinosaursandtea Mon 17-Apr-17 20:08:23

I ordered a breton and two long-sleeved tees - one was very flimsy, but draped AMAZINGLY.

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 21-Apr-17 08:32:18

Boden bretons are a lot thinner than they used to be. Although I bought some from the teen range a couple of years ago and they are more like the old style.

The lightweight ones do still seem to wash quite well though.

I find Boden hit and miss, I can't get on with their knitwear at all but I live in their jersey dresses. I tend to stick to the things I know will work for me.

HonorBright Fri 21-Apr-17 13:09:43

Seasalt bretons are a lovely heavy jersey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now