Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tips on doing a professional looking manicure at home?

(9 Posts)
EatsLeavesAndShit Fri 14-Apr-17 20:23:48

I'd love to look all groomed and fabulous with perfectly manicured nails, but it always looks like a 3 year old has painted them when I give myself a manicure and I have no idea what to do with my cuticles.

Do I need to soak my nails? Do I need a glass nail file that I've read about online? Should I buff? confused

I would be really grateful for your tips on how to do a salon grade manicure at home.

dinosaursandtea Fri 14-Apr-17 20:40:51

I paint mine with good quality polish that I keep in the fridge. I'll paint them the night before an event/on a Sunday night and then have a long bath, scrubbing any extra bits off.

DropZoneOne Fri 14-Apr-17 20:52:05

I love my denny crystal nail file, gives my nails a smooth edge. I've done mine today, I don't remove cuticles but do soak in warm water for a few minutes and push them back with a hoof stick.

I've used cnd vinylux today - I find it more forgiving than a normal polish in that you've got time to do several strokes to cover the nail and touch up, use an orange stick if it goes over the edges etc.

OohNoDooEy Fri 14-Apr-17 20:56:39

One of these

m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_324007907903MISC_-1

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 14-Apr-17 20:59:43

I think the trick is in the base/top coats - if you get decent ones then the actual coloured polish can be a cheap one. For a base coat, one which isn't smooth/shiny helps the polish to "stick", something like the Orly Bonder is good. Topcoat-wise I like the Jessica one. I do base, two coats of polish, topcoat, and it takes about 30 minutes all in. In terms of filing I use salon emery boards, and never buff.

LittleMysMoominMamma Fri 14-Apr-17 21:10:48

I always do my own nails - there are a couple of things that make a real difference:
Use a decent glass nail file

Moisturise and push your cuticles back if you need to - not everyone does, but mine always need removing and the best ever product for this is www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046MK34G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Then wipe over your nails with nail polish remover before applying base coat. I read about this technique a couple of years ago and its flipping amazing - you use a rubberised base coat www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VUT39S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Follow with one coat of colour, then another of the base coat, and a second coat of colour (no need to wait between coats).

Finally, I use the Boots No7 gel top coat (look for the one with the silver lid).

My nails look like gels and usually last a week before I need to re-do them smile

LittleMysMoominMamma Fri 14-Apr-17 21:12:16

Also agree with Judy, you can use any brand with good base & top coats. Forgot to say that if you take these just over the edges of the nails it helps the manicure last longer.

EatsLeavesAndShit Fri 14-Apr-17 22:22:18

Thank you all so much! I'm adding all these things to my shopping basket. I will master the manicure.

When I have had professional manicures before the manicurist has put the file under my nail and rubbed side-to-side, but it says online that sawing is bad for the nail. Should I do this, or just sweep the file to shape them?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 15-Apr-17 08:42:21

If it's a file with 240 grit or higher it's safe to see saw. Some nail files are much higher than that & would tear the nail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now