Talk

Advanced search

Trainers to wear with skinny jeans/jeggings. Alternatives to converse?

(47 Posts)
Fuggit Fri 14-Apr-17 11:02:40

I've just realised I've been wearing the same pair of converse all stars for the past 6 years. It's time to update! I like the low profile of the converse but would like a more modern alternative. Tomorrow I plan to leave my toddler at home and go shopping on my own for the first time since she was born! What should I be looking for? What's current? I am pushing 40, if that makes any difference!

Ollivander84 Fri 14-Apr-17 12:33:19

I'm still wearing converse grin
I do have a pair of the ballet converse though which look a bit different

supersalmon1 Fri 14-Apr-17 13:14:56

I love my Supergas, I think they give a bit more support than Converse but still look relatively light weight (if that makes sense).

BounceBounceSplishSplash Fri 14-Apr-17 13:26:16

Adidas gazelles are quite a low profile and come in a million different colours.

I also like the auede pumas and adidas Stan Smith but they're slightly chunkier than converse.

taybert Fri 14-Apr-17 13:58:47

I've just got some pale grey suede Velcro Stan smiths and I love them. I don't find converse particularly uncomfortable but these are much more comfy.

Fuggit Fri 14-Apr-17 14:00:11

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking online at Superga as they seem to be everywhere at the moment but I can't decide whether I like them or not. Think I need to see them in real life and try on. I love the adidas gazelles (& my faithful converse) but not sure if they're too 'retro' and whether I should go for something more current. I will have a try tomorrow. Living 30 miles from the nearest decent shoe shops can be a bit of a problem as it's hard to just go and have a browse, especially with a 3 year old in tow!

mainlywingingit Fri 14-Apr-17 14:08:14

Just love Superga - have 12 pairs. Really supportive too.

I think they look better than converse

Banananana Fri 14-Apr-17 14:55:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fuggit Fri 14-Apr-17 15:49:31

Wow mainly, 12 pairs! When do you find time to wear them all? Puts my one pair of converse (worn for 6 years) to shame blush

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 14-Apr-17 15:51:21

I've just got Gazelles and also Superdry trainers, also have several pairs of Converse.

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 14-Apr-17 16:12:05

I have two pairs of Superga's and they're so comfortable. Vans do some cute trainers and Nike's Roshe are lovely to wear all day.

relaxo Fri 14-Apr-17 16:21:20

I see teenagers wearing their skinnies with Adidas Superstars, Nike Huaraches, Nike J's or Adidas NMD.

I personally love my Nike Roshes.

BabyHamster Fri 14-Apr-17 17:17:33

Another vote for gazelles!

Violetcharlotte Fri 14-Apr-17 17:51:44

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago and have bought Adidas Gazelles following some of the recommendations. Very pleased with them!

BlueChairs Fri 14-Apr-17 18:00:03

I'm a grey Nike girl 😊

fiorentina Fri 14-Apr-17 18:55:08

I have white gazelles and grey Superga and like them both.

Grease2ftw Fri 14-Apr-17 19:31:32

I am a New Balance convert. The ones I have -373- are chunkier than converse but still quite compact (and so much more comfortable)

Fairylea Fri 14-Apr-17 19:34:58

Love Superga. I think they look really nice and smart but trendy at the same time.

I think the slim converse also look nice - they are called the "Dainty" style. Just for a change to normal converse!

Fuggit Fri 14-Apr-17 20:05:37

Thanks for all of the suggestions smile. Can't wait to check them all out tomorrow. It seems that superga and gazelles are the most popular choice. I wonder what I'll come back with...

Ollivander84 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:11:19

Fairy - those are the ones I have, the dainty/ballet. I find them comfy too

Shenanagins Fri 14-Apr-17 20:15:05

I'm loving my addidas superstars I've just bought as a replacement for my converse. So comfortable and I think I look pretty cool in them.

AnotherEmma Fri 14-Apr-17 20:27:07

Those of you with Supergas, do the sizes come up big?

Fairylea Fri 14-Apr-17 21:03:09

I am a size 6.5 in most shoes and wear a size 6.5 (40) in Superga and find they fit perfectly, so I'd say true to size.

JDSTER Fri 14-Apr-17 21:07:00

I've got converse and superga. I find superga come up big (and I noticed lots of people saying the same when looking at reviews). Superga look wider on me, converse quite narrow. Definitely a case of trying before you buy to see what suits you best

AnotherEmma Fri 14-Apr-17 22:40:47

Thanks both, I was hoping to be lazy and just order online but sounds like I need to get my arse to a shop to try them on for size grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now