Talk

Advanced search

Is salon colour longer lasting for high % of greys?

(14 Posts)
Partyfops Fri 14-Apr-17 10:21:20

I am probably about 60-70 grey at only 39. I use Olia colour in dark brown which is my natural colour.

I still find it fades. I have used many colours that you can buy on the high street and found Olia to be the best.

Now my earnings have gone up slightly I'm thinking I may go and get it done professionally, but will the colour last any longer. I'm not talking about re growth, just the actual colour.

Bejazzled Fri 14-Apr-17 11:01:49

In my experience, yes. Since I switched to salon my hair is in better condition with no fade. I use the coloured spray on my parting to extend the time between appointments.

MrsJayy Fri 14-Apr-17 11:05:14

Yes I think so and i switched hairdresssers a few dyes ago and she is used to dying older womens hair and my hair lasts a lot longer than the hairdresser i had before, not sure how new hairdresser does it but the regrowth is longer

MrsJayy Fri 14-Apr-17 11:06:11

Daft question does that spray run if you get caught in the rain?

Partyfops Fri 14-Apr-17 11:09:46

I find mine fades the fastest around the front hairline. That's what gives it away!

Yes, I would like to know more about the spray!

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Fri 14-Apr-17 11:10:34

I am nearly totally gray and have a permanent colour applied by a hairdresser. I matched my natural tone but have gone successively lighter on the base colour over the years to match my skin changing as I age. So having starting life as a very pale dark haired child I now have blond highlights! Yes there is regrowth and I have my colour done every 5-6 weeks. It is expensive but I am lucky - my hairdresser works from home so it is a lot more reasonable than a salon.

Partyfops Fri 14-Apr-17 11:18:33

Has anyone tried these new salon style colours you can buy online. Or even using salon colour at home?

MrsJayy Fri 14-Apr-17 11:27:28

Tbh my bathroom looks like a murder scene after I have dyed my hair I would rather pay to get it done but my salon is a bit old lady so doesn't cost as much as a fancier hairdressers.

MaybeDoctor Fri 14-Apr-17 11:39:38

Salon colours last better but then regrowth is more obvious in my opinion. Much harsher line. Also the cost!!!

I use Daniel Field Watercolours. Works well for brown shades. Fade out in about 4 weeks.

I have tried the sprays, but they tend to splatter my parting, face and everything else...any tips?smile

stream26 Fri 14-Apr-17 13:00:37

Just wanted to share my experience - I have been coloring my hair at home for quite some time too; the top and sides (near the temple) are more white than my natural dark color. I had always used box colors from the stores (i.e. Target, Walgreens, etc.), however, I found a thread on this site regarding salon quality color (i.e. Wella Color Charm, etc) you can buy from Sally Beauty. Some of the comments included the color being richer, the dyes were better for your hair, gray coverage was better and it was economical. Folks also mentioned adding this product called Gray Magic to your color which would help your color grab the grays better. (How we can buy salon quality products without a license is beyond me though?)

Fortunately, I found a Sally store in our area. I purchased the color ($3.69?/box), a large bottle of developer ($5.30?/bottle), a box of gloves, gray magic ($.99/single application), an applicator bottle. Although the initial investment is about $20, it really is economical considering the developer can be used several times which would mean only purchasing the color in the future.

So far, I've colored my hair 3 times. I do not find that the gray coverage lasts any longer than store bought colors, even with adding the Gray Magic. Like the previous post mentions, it's likely because the gray grows out and not so much that the color faded. I do find the texture of my hair after coloring is not so dry (like straw), the color looks richer and does not fade as quickly. So while I was hoping to color my hair every 6 weeks like they recommend, I still need to do it every 3 weeks (and that's with my grays showing considerably because my natural color is dark).

The other tip I learned on this site is that adding apple cider vinegar to the shampoo and conditioner, will help your color to keep from fading so quickly. I've tried this with my conditioner only and did find my color did not get brassy or as faded. I'm still looking for a better shampoo & conditioner for colored hair - I'm one of those with coarse hair and need a heavy conditioner. Any suggestions?

Hopefully, there be more posts with more valuable tips! I'm learning so much from this hairstylezz.com/best-dark-and-light-brown-hair-highlights-styles/ site!

ginorwine Fri 14-Apr-17 15:35:40

You can buy salon hair dye from shops such as Sally's .. or maybe on line .
My old hairdressers used wella and I just used to copy what they did - however now I'm 50 % grey it's harder to get it right myself as they mix s thing in with it to stop my roots glowing . Sally s staff can be really helpful tho- some are actually hairdressers .

Andcake Fri 14-Apr-17 15:41:28

I've tried the spray but if I touched my hair it came off on my hands hours later...has anyone had any success with them.

Never heard of Sally's...

dwpanxt Fri 14-Apr-17 15:54:17

I have never had my hair dyed by a hairdresser as I have an aversion to using them. Cant bear sitting looking at myself in a big mirror for hours and then having to out up with the 'chat'.

However,I have used many makes of box colours to dye my hair though and don't see much difference in any of them no matter what the price. It all comes down to personal preference i think. I like Olia when its on offer but even if its a lovely strong colour with little or no fading you will always get root regrowth and there's nothing you can do about that.

Ive tried many sprays and ways to cover the roots to buy myself some time before having to gird my loins for another dye job.

At the moment Im using a little spray which is easier to use as it fits into my hand better than the bigger cans. I was told that when using dry shampoo you should be very sparing and do very quick blasts from further away than you think you need to be. So I do this with the colour and it seems to work. I style my hair and the last thing I do is give a couple of sprays and away I go. I'm not sure about being caught in the rain.It does wash out quite easily so I'm not sure about daring to dash (heh - me? dash? confused ) through a downpour. But that would be a rare occurrence I think.

Bejazzled Sat 15-Apr-17 02:29:13

The spray (either Superdrug own or L'Oréal), you have to let it dry in so don't touch it or brush it after spraying. No, it doesn't run in the rain, I'm in Scotland so have Road tested that 🙂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now