Talk

Advanced search

Sunscreen recommendations for Middle East

(13 Posts)
McAvennie Thu 13-Apr-17 15:34:22

A new job means I'll be heading over to live in Dubai in the next couple of months, which unfortunately will mean heading out during the worst of the heat.

I am very fair skinned and normally on holiday would whack on Clarins or LRP SPF 50, but am worried that these may be too greasy in the high humidity and with wearing make up over the top.

Could anyone living out there or having any experience of living in a hot and humid country give any recommendations on what you use?

RedSandYellowSand Thu 13-Apr-17 15:45:44

I don't wear makeup, but but on SPF 30 moisturiser. I'm going to increase this to spf 50 when i got back in the summer, and can access proper shopping (over the boarder from UAE).
Honestly?? It's too hot to be outside, so I'd go with whatever you like the feel of under the makeup, and your preferred ones you've already mentioned when swimming etc. When i go home people are shocked at how untanned i am. It's just too hot!
However a private fb group has just had this question, so I'm off to C&P some brands for you. Back soon.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 13-Apr-17 15:54:32

I live in Western Australia, which is not quite the UAE but still very hot & dry. I am also an absolute sunscreen addict and have worn SPF50+ on my face every day for years.

La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Factor 50+ is by far the best I've ever used. Beautifully light, matte and non-greasy. Just a lovely texture, either alone or under makeup. Love it.

RedSandYellowSand Thu 13-Apr-17 16:00:06

Elizabeth Arden 8 hr cream SPF 50
Obagi c
Clarins uv plus
Heliocare sunscreen gel
Eucerin SPF 50
Body shop skin defence spf 50
Sishaido
Eau Thermal Avene
Mary Kay SPF
Cataphil Daylong
Bioderma SPF100
Biore Sarasara Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50

Most of these are ME purchases. They may, or may not be available in the UK!
Heliocare and Biore are both on suncream for UK threads, and are in my Amazon basket for summer shopping. I'm currently on Simple SPF 30, with soltan on top of I'm out for a long period.

LadybirdsAreFab Thu 13-Apr-17 16:10:25

We just use the Boots Soltan range, usually because its on buy one get one free. I use the normal one for daily use, if we are in the pool/beach (at 7am in the Summer) we use the Soltan Kids Waterproof one. We all use long sleeve rash vests and hats. It just becomes habit.

Unless its Soltan, suncreams are expensive here. Before Boots arrived I used to buy in the UK and bring it back with me.

feesh Thu 13-Apr-17 16:14:57

The sun is actually pretty weak here because of the dust. I've lived here 6 years and never got sunburn, but every time we go home to the uk for holidays I go pink! Also it will be too hot to spend ANY time outside. Just use your usual stuff.

mateysmum Thu 13-Apr-17 16:16:33

Honestly if you're there in the summer, you will be inside most of the time, especially if you are working. You will go from house, to car, to office and only spend time outdoors early/late in the day. We used more suncream in winter than summer. I second Soltan in a high factor.

McAvennie Thu 13-Apr-17 17:24:40

Thanks everyone that's really helpful - think I might try the Biore and Antihelios before I head out and then stock up on a few bottles if I get on with it.

And great to know there's no problem getting Soltan, I've used it in the past and been impressed.

On another note does anyone use any sort of SPF for their hair/parting or are hats the norm?

mateysmum Thu 13-Apr-17 21:23:22

People do wear hats sometimes but they are not the norm unless you are by the pool/beach. You may be overthinking this. In the summer it is just too hot and humid to be outside. You will be shopping in malls, you will often park in an enclosed car park. You will not sit by the pool between about 9am and 4pm. Wherever you are you will seek shade and you will sweat outside at midnight. Everything you need sun wise you can buy in Dubai, so relax and look forward to your trip.

feesh Fri 14-Apr-17 04:10:26

You're way overthinking this! I honestly get burnt more in the U.K. than I do here. You are very rarely outside at all; you have to drive everywhere even if you don't want to! And your car will probably live in an undercover parking lot. Honestly it's so hot here that you can't even imagine being outside or having a door open for more than a minute. I even suffer from quite a severe vitamin D deficiency which I am being treated for at the moment.

highinthesky Fri 14-Apr-17 04:16:04

Sunscreen recommendations for Middle East

Full burka. When in Rome...

mateysmum Fri 14-Apr-17 14:42:43

feesh DH got vit d deficiency too and I believe it's quite common especially amongst local ladies who tend to cover up more.

high You rarely see a full burka in Dubai

BusterGonad Fri 14-Apr-17 15:17:49

Don't sweat it, you will not be in the sun, it's too hot, I'm in Qatar and use Boots sun cream as it's always on offer, I'm only in the sun when I'm by the pool or on holiday. It's getting hot already here and soon it'll be hot to go by the pool. Today it's been 38 degrees! I sat in the shade!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now